Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an unhappy 3 year hiatus away from Toyota I recently came back. Black 2012 DC and couldn't be more happy. The information on the site is unbelievable and the list of upcoming mods is stacking up. I want to put my 153 XP sled in the back as trailering is no fun although I do have one. In my last trucks I would just drop the tailgate, lay on the ramp, pull in, strap it down and drive away. No problems, other than the occasional rock chip. I can deal with that. My DC is a limited with a backup camera and I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with the tailgate and or backup camera failing from driving with it down and weight on top of it. I have a extra thick spray in liner so not worried about carbide scratches. I could build a mini deck if I have to but would prefer not. Just not sure if I will end up doing any damage to the tailgate, camera or hydraulic lowering arm.:happy3d:

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
What do you use for a ramp? I have a shorty xp and was thinking the same thing about not using a trailer this year. Just got my 2012 this summer, my last truck was a Chevy Colorado and the sled didn't fit well...

·
Registered
109 Posts
You will be fine, i have been doing it for 3 years with no issues. I have yamaha nytro fx (121)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually have the same truck (just got it) I have the stock plastic bed liner though, and have only had the sled in one time. I bought a cheap tri fold ramp from fleet farm, and put some ski slid material on the sides, and it worked fine. The sled sat in the bed well enough..

I am considering getting a piece of plywood to put in the back when the sled is in there, with ski slide on it, and some traction mat for the track so unloading is a bit easier (my sled has reverse).

I have heard that if you have a heavy sled, of load it a lot, the tailgate can bend, but the word was to take a piece of 3/4 plywood, and cut it so that when loading, you can slide part of it over the tailgate, then put the part you cut in the front of the bed (make sense?) so the weight of the ramp/sled is evenly distributed across the tailgate.

If you make a mini deck, I would like to see your plans and dimensions, as I would be interested in doing this as well..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. The tailgate doesn't seem nearly as strong as the chevy's but I will let you know. Taking it out tomorrow for the first time this winter. I have some plans already drawn up for a mini-deck but that would make my sled higher in the bed, change the weight and also force me to get a longer ramp as it would be just to steep with a deck in the back.

Most of the areas I ride in are a pretty quick trips, 30 minutes or less. For longer hauls I may play around with some weight distribution ideas although the sled itself is only 400 pounds which really isn't that much

1 - 6 of 6 Posts