Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many moons ago I put Slick 50 into my 69 Mustang, which sits quietly throughout the winter, and would usually make a lot of noise when I first started it in the spring.

The Slick 50 seemed to take much of that initial start up noise away and I was wondering if any of you have put it into your Tundra.

I've noticed there's a fair bit of knocking/ticking when I first start the truck on cold mornings. It goes away quickly, but its annoying and I'd like to try something to make it stop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't do it! That's the worst thing you can do. It contains PTFE (teflon) and it's a solid. Solids aren't good things to have floating in the oil. Teflon would be fine if everything was coated in it to begin with (from the factory), but since all it's doing is floating around in there, it's not doing anything and it could actually plug things up.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Many moons ago I put Slick 50 into my 69 Mustang, which sits quietly throughout the winter, and would usually make a lot of noise when I first started it in the spring.

The Slick 50 seemed to take much of that initial start up noise away and I was wondering if any of you have put it into your Tundra.

I've noticed there's a fair bit of knocking/ticking when I first start the truck on cold mornings. It goes away quickly, but its annoying and I'd like to try something to make it stop.

my mechanic says not to use that stuff. he said it globs up in your oil pan when it's cold. he strongly recommends amzoil and if that's too $$$ (it is for me) than use royal purple. my truck isn't nearly as noisy as it used to be before i started running it. great, great stuff!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Don't do it! That's the worst thing you can do. It contains PTFE (teflon) and it's a solid. Solids aren't good things to have floating in the oil. Teflon would be fine if everything was coated in it to begin with (from the factory), but since all it's doing is floating around in there, it's not doing anything and it could actually plug things up.

that's what my mechanic was talking about! good going rsayloriii!

·
Registered
214 Posts
... than use royal purple. my truck isn't nearly as noisy as it used to be before i started running it. great, great stuff!
Nothing wrong with Royal Purple at all! :tu: It's good stuff. I've been using it for years whenever I can get my hands on it (mainly afford it). But since it's typically a couple dollars more per quart than Mobil 1, I've been using Mobil 1 lately since I don't have as much come every paycheck as I used to. It sucks having to drive 70 miles a day and have to spend 3/4 of your paycheck on gas. Thanks oil companies! :tu::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing wrong with Royal Purple at all! :tu: It's good stuff. I've been using it for years whenever I can get my hands on it (mainly afford it). But since it's typically a couple dollars more per quart than Mobil 1, I've been using Mobil 1 lately since I don't have as much come every paycheck as I used to. It sucks having to drive 70 miles a day and have to spend 3/4 of your paycheck on gas. Thanks oil companies! :tu::rolleyes:
Sounds like you need to start riding a motorcycle or find a used vw golf diesel.

I was also considering the Royal Purple route.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Since Government got thru suing Quaker State for advertising falsely on the Slick 50 Boxes you might notice that all their false accusations have dissapeared from their packaging to includ PTFE which is no longer in it!! all this stuff is was a modern day STP!! ever seen a block torn apart and saw the damadge it has done!! aint pretty!!Quaker State-Slick 50, Inc. call mobil and ask to speak to one of their Techs and ask him what this stuff will do if added to Mobil1 Synthetic oil and ya could be liable for his ambulance ride, i asked them once and i thought he was going to have a coronary!!:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Last I heard, Slick 50 was discontinued and labeled a product boasting false benefits. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i agree, if your spending 3/4's of your check on gas, get a motorcycle/scooter or an old vw diesel. i've seen slick 50 in a few places, don't remember exactly where but i believe it's still out there. if i didn't use royal purple, i'd definately use mobile 1. i get my royal purple for $6.00 a quart. I buy it from this 1 place ALL the time. when the price went up, he kept my price the same. customer service IS a wonderful thing. here i think it's up to $7.25 a quart now at pep-boys. good stuff though. i've heard some horror stories about slick 50 from mechanics. no way would i use it or buy a truck that's been run on it for a while. BAD STUFF!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, I think I might be about to step in it, but..............
I've used Slick 50 since I started driving and never had an engine issue with any rig. My last truck - a '95 toyota pickup - had 205,000 on it and still ran as strong ans new and started great -original timing chain and all. Had to replace the head gasket on it not long ago and the engine was very clean in there. I adjusted my valves when I was supposewd to and everything always looked good in there. I live up in the cold northeast and typically see mornings where it is 20 below or so and not one time did it fail to start in ten years.
All my other rigs were pretty much junk when I bought them, but I always put that stuff in them and they never failed to start up on a cold morning or give me any engine probs. Now I know that can be attributed to so many other things than an additive - but I'm just saying. You're not supposed to add it untill the engine has like 50K on it or so, and then you add it every 50K miles or so. I bought into the hype back when I was a kid :rolleyes: and I'm not here to defend it in any way as my good luck surely has more to do with other stuff. Just wanted to give a perspective from someone who's used it.
I think with todays engines and especially with todays oils, putting stuff like that in your car is a waste of money. When I first bought slick50, synthetic oil was not commonly heard of as far as buying it by the quart and using it like regular oil. I think when that became mainstream, the synthetic additives became pointless.
Don't misunderstand this as trying to start an argument - just giving my experience.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
They do not put PTFE in slick 50 anymore!! been a group of years since they claimed it had it in their to start with!! and yes me and you both stepped in it but i no longer put it in my 93 Toy PU and every since the Mobil Tech ranted for 30 minutes about what that stuff will do to an engine and engine oil i will NEVER use it again!! I had my thoughts about it as it slithered outta the bottle kinda like STP but just a different color when i was putting it in and told my self my buddy just told to me to screw up my motor!! I strongly feel after repeated use and time that this stuff is no more than a MODERN DAY STP!! It does nothing they claimed it did Per the FTC!! This is the same buddy that told me japanese engines run better with BOSCH plugs NOT!! They were designed for German cars!! my new denso dbl platinums are much more responsive than the BOSCH 4's!! so much for second hand info!! he was surprised when i told him go read the box on the slick 50!! they still sell it but none of the old marketing gimmicks that they used to have!! FTC got deep in their pockets for false adv!! Do yourself a favor and give any you have left to someone you do not like!!:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Used it in 1989

Yea, ran Slick50 in my new Honda back in 1989, and 178,000 miles later it's doing fine. I have been using Syntec for years, and Castrol brand since day one. (They he goes again, trying to start an argument :D )

So, I must have been one of the lucky ones. Actually haven't thought about Slick50 for a loooong time.

I plan on using Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in the new Sequoia...I'll read any other ideas on oil for Toyota anyone wants to post, though. :tu:

Z

·
Registered
910 Posts
The root cause of noise at startup is no oil on bearing surfaces. Some oils may claim to "stick" to surfaces more than others, thus protecting more during startup...but I don't know how much of a difference there really is. The benefits of synthetics like Mobil1 and Royal Purple have more to do with their properties under extreme temperatures than anything else.

Amsoil offers an oil prime tank kit so that you can build oil pressure prior to starting the engine. The tank is pressurized when the engine runs and contains a quart or whatever of oil. At shutdown, a valve closes, keeping pressurized oil in the tank. Before startup, you hit a switch, the oil flows into the engine, and you hit the key after oil pressure builds.

This is really the only method that really addresses the cold-start issue.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
The root cause of noise at startup is no oil on bearing surfaces. Some oils may claim to "stick" to surfaces more than others, thus protecting more during startup...but I don't know how much of a difference there really is. The benefits of synthetics like Mobil1 and Royal Purple have more to do with their properties under extreme temperatures than anything else.

Amsoil offers an oil prime tank kit so that you can build oil pressure prior to starting the engine. The tank is pressurized when the engine runs and contains a quart or whatever of oil. At shutdown, a valve closes, keeping pressurized oil in the tank. Before startup, you hit a switch, the oil flows into the engine, and you hit the key after oil pressure builds.

Write on shall36, right on brother! thanks for the info shall36! i didn't know amsoil offered that! that's something i need to check into ASAP! currious though, i wonder if you could run royal purple through it? i get a great buy in royal purple, not to mention the amsoil here is sooo $$$.

thanks again,
greg

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Re: Used it in 1989

Yea, ran Slick50 in my new Honda back in 1989, and 178,000 miles later it's doing fine. I have been using Syntec for years, and Castrol brand since day one. (They he goes again, trying to start an argument :D )

So, I must have been one of the lucky ones. Actually haven't thought about Slick50 for a loooong time.

I plan on using Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in the new Sequoia...I'll read any other ideas on oil for Toyota anyone wants to post, though. :tu:

Z
Quaker State lost their behinds on this venture and i feel everyone else did that used it, due to their false claims hopefully no one has issues and why did you quit using it? not here to argue just hate it when a company sells a product that has been proven to do very little and for years claimed it cured all engine problems!!

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Here's the AMS-Oiler™ Oil Precharger : https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amk.aspx It runs about $400.00.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Used it in 1989

.... and why did you quit using it? not here to argue just hate it when a company ...
Not sure if you were asking me why I stopped using it. I think this stuff was a one time/3000 mile treatment, but can't remember. I also remember it was pretty expensive. Not really in the budget of a new Navy man who just recently married :D

z

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
wished i would have only used it one time and understand the expense issue, i was 20 years in AF. quality motor oil needs no addatives and why i could not understand it is beyond me i guess my friend that would use 2 bottles every oil change of the synthetic type talked me into it but since he called mobil and they told him the same thing they told me he has stopped using it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts