Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 DC V8 Tundra
going around a turn, or merging into traffic at a slow rate of speed 10-20 mph and push down on the accelerator the truck has a slight hesitation (like it's starving for gas??). then it catches itself and picks up.
Any one else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm guessing at those speeds, you are probably in 2nd gear. The hesitation could be the tranny judging how much throttle you are imputting and then deciding to down shift to 1st. Only a guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same truck and mine did that since it was new. It was frichin' dangerous trying to merge on the 405 and you have this delay between pushing the gas peddle and moving! I wasn't used to it that's for sure, I had a 5.9 Durango before this truck and there were no delays with that!

I asked them to look at it the very first time I had it in for service. They said they knew about it and it was the way the computer was programmed. Unless Toyota decided it was problem and was willing to authorize a service bulletin then I just had to deal with it.

I'm used to it now, I turn of the overdrive almost all the time to compensate.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yep I complained about that this morning to my service writer when I put my truck in for several other issues.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Mine does that too. A V6 reg cab. I was trying to pass a slow vehicle, so I step on the gas pedal hard instantly (not floored). It had a delay of a couple of seconds before downshifting and acceleration occured. By that time, the vehicle on the passing lane behind me was already up my rear. I'll never do that again with a regular gas in my tank. After that incident, I put 91 octane in it. The engine responds better now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update
Had my Tundra in today for the recall on the ball joints and brought up the hesitation.
They looked at it and said the same thing...the old " fly by wire" issue.
Sounds rediculous to me. Because it's electronic it doesn't react as quickly as the old cables? I'm not looking to drag race, I just want to merge into traffic without the truck hesitating like an old carborated vehicle.
Does this mean everyone that has a Tundra has this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If this is the case then toyota should either make a software change so that the unit on the tb reacts faster or replace the unit with one that will react faster.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Just an update
Had my Tundra in today for the recall on the ball joints and brought up the hesitation.
They looked at it and said the same thing...the old " fly by wire" issue.
Sounds rediculous to me. Because it's electronic it doesn't react as quickly as the old cables? I'm not looking to drag race, I just want to merge into traffic without the truck hesitating like an old carborated vehicle.
Does this mean everyone that has a Tundra has this problem?
What octane gas are you using??? If you're using 87, try 89 or 91 see if that helps. For me, higher octane made the engine more responsive. No more delays, no hesitation. It even burns rubber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
05 DC V8 Tundra
going around a turn, or merging into traffic at a slow rate of speed 10-20 mph and push down on the accelerator the truck has a slight hesitation (like it's starving for gas??). then it catches itself and picks up.
Any one else have this problem?
Mine does this too. Like a .5 of sec. delay. My mazda protege does not even do that. But then it does have a throttle cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts