Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size tire is on the non-TRD/non-limited/non-Texas badged regular base DC's?

I have a TRD that came with the 265/70/R16 BFG. I tow a (smaller sized) travel trailer and during spring break we traveled over 1,500 miles with it. Towed great in overdrive (5th gear) for the most part and the highest tranny temp I saw was 145 degrees in the Ozark Mountains in Mo. & Ar. Of course I had to kick it out of overdrive when we hit 20-25 mph head winds and for the constant hills we went over. Best mileage was 15 mpg (following my grandparents Class A @ only 55 mph and possibly had a tail wind) worst tank was 9 mpg with an over all average of 11 mpg for the trip.

I feel if I had just a little extra torque/rpm's while in 5th gear it would give me better acceleration/power for holding hwy speeds up slopes and in head winds. So this is were my idea of betting a smaller sized tire for at least the rear wheels while towing comes to play. I've done the calculators on 4lo.com and if I went to a 245/70/16 tire it would give me an effective rear end ratio of almost 4.10 (my stock is 3.92 right?). This would on average increase my rpm's by a little over 100 at hwy speeds (65-70 mph). What does everyone think?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't think that by just changing the width of the tire would affect the ratio? i know that if you change the aspect ratio of the tire up to a 75, i know it'll change, but didn't know that the width did.
per 4Lo.com :: Metric Tire Size to Diameter in Inches Calculator

265/70/R16 = 30.6" Diameter
245/70/R16 = 29.5" Diameter

Here's the formula:

Also, it looks like I was wrong on the rear end gear ratio... I think I found some documents that say it's 3.91:1. Does that sound right? Do all DC have the same rear end ratio? Even those without the LSD and the smaller tires?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks good with the tires you have on it now. I would add exhaust and maybe intake if you haven't already. The combo would probably give you more power than tires with a half inch smaller diameter.
I don't believe in exhaust and intake mods/changes. I'm not looking to "hot rod" a truck or make it look and sound different by adding a so called "performance exhaust and intake". It's been proven time and time again that exhaust and intake mods (performance or those just for looks) result in a net loss in low-end torque (for gas engines). :td: That very same low-end torque is what you need for towing.

These performance mods have a place if your wanting to improve the top-end.;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did it. put continental crosscontact lx tires on in the 235/65r17 size. these are good tires.
Wow, great... I'm going to look these up. Of course my truck has 16" tires instead of the 17's.
The camper I pull now has doubled in length since my last post a year ago.:devil: I now tow a 30' Jayco bunk house @~5,500 lbs... So, maintaining overdrive (5th) isn't really an issue anymore, because I CAN'T! All my towing is now with overdrive off, which keeps my rpms ~3K. So, I'm not sure if I'm still going to go with smaller tires when the time comes for new tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.