Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this bumper as a birthday present to myself several months ago. I was not finding much in the way of information or pictures of this bumper on the forum so wanted to make this post with pictures in case anyone else is considering this one. I selected it as a replacement for the original factory bumper since its the only one I could find that allowed for the retention of the backup sensors. This bumper is quite stout! I did not weigh it before install, but I believe the shipping weight was about 135 pounds. The extra weight has actually helped smooth out the ride a bit when the bed is empty.

Overall, very happy with the look and fit. My one complaint is that there is a large gap between the back edge of the bumper (up against the end of the bed). The factory bumper has the plastic top piece with a little flip up that helps to hide the gap. I was able to resolve that issue to my satisfaction by buying a piece of aluminum diamond plate and having it bent at a 90 degree angle. I painted it with spray on bedliner to make it black. I had to notch the horizontal part in two places to allow for some internal bracing of the bumper. I also had to drill a hole in the vertical part for the rod to lower the spare tire to fit. I pre-drilled the holes and used metal screws to secure to the end of the bed. There are no clearance issues with opening and closing the tailgate. I was also able to retain my "old man" step!

I hope this information and pictures allows someone else to make an informed decision.

Factory bumper removed:

Inside bracing of the bumper:

Brackets:

Brackets mounted:

The LED lights came with the bumper in their own kit with wiring harness and switch:

Installed:

Test fitting the aluminum diamond plate:

There is a gap where it meets the end of the bed, but using metal screws I was able to make it fairly flush. This is still a test fit:

Diamond plate notched, but does not yet have the hole for the spare tire rod. I drilled that hole after this was mounted and the spare tire removed:

All done:

Night shot of the lit switch. It only lights up when it's turned on. I used one of the rectangle 'blanks' as the location to insert the switch. The wiring for the lights was its own "project" which I tackled a couple of weeks later. It took me about three hours as I wanted it to be extremely clean underneath. So a lot of time was spent routing the wiring loom and securing it.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts