Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: HELLO, I am somewhat new to the forum. Wondering if anyone has the smoke colored headlight and/or tailight covers? Do they look good or bogus and cheap? Do they lower the light output too much, or make being seen by others more difficult? I can't find any threads on this topic. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
bump-I would also like some info

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do not have these on my current truck. I had them on my previous 2002 Chevy Silverado and they do noticably lower light output. Also something you need to keep in consideration that in many juristictions anything that affects light output in a negative way or makes it hard to tell if you have the proper color lights( i.e Red tailights) is illegal and at the least is a fix it ticket if not a fine. I didnt like them simply because I would have to remove them before I drove at night because I could tell a noticeable diffrence in light. Most manufactuers recomend these for daylight use only, so be aware. Have a good one and welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
"Blackouts" as they are referred to lower light output by a considerable amount. If you'd like to experiment somewhat with "shaded" lenses, you could do the following.

Pickup clear lens protective layer such as Xpel, or any other "clear bra" type pieces that can be used over your headlight. Purchase a can of VHT Nightshades and begin to apply coats onto the protective lens pieces. You can do this before or after it's already installed on the headlight. You don't have to use the protective layers, but I suggest doing so, because if you don't want to have the shaded color anymore, just remove the protective layer. If you don't use the protective layer pieces, once you spray the headlight, it's a one time deal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Try driving with your sunglasses on at night and see how you like that. Why anyone would sacrifice headlight and taillight brightness is beyond me, but I understand "to each their own".

·
Registered
568 Posts
i sprayed 8 coats of model car tint on my taillights with fantasic results. 3 dollars a can and you can still see my tailights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:ts: Thanks for all the replies! I think I won't be buying the blackouts, but I might try lightly painting the cover stick ons. Unless someone else knows of a much lighter colored premade cover.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
just have a shop tint them for you. its a 3M product protective material. removable and no need to paint your lights. costs around 100.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For that much money, you could get a set of after market headlights and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
For that much money, you could get a set of after market headlights and turn signals.
aftermarket headlights are about 200-250..aftermarket turn signal are pretty expensive too..check ebay if you don't believe me.

its about a 100 bucks for a pair of lights, not each.

the taillights look good enough stock on our trucks..i would change them out if they made a sic enough LED one, but otherwise a simple smoke will def add a good look

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts