Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got done smoking my tailights. It was a week long project to get it done right. I used niteshades paint as the translucent black and 7 coats of aviation grade/aeronautical clear coat (jet glo/acry glo products). I sanded between the clear coats with 2000 grit paper and the final two coats went on like glass, no buffing required. The little spots you see on them in the close up picture is actually just dust. The taillights look like they were dipped not painted and they are like a deep rich candy apple color when you see them in person. The high quality clear coat paint is what made it all come together and the more coats applied, the richer the taillights looked. The cool part was masking off each taillight center and placing two coats of nightshades around perimeter and sanding paint edge with 1000 grit paper and then applying the 3rd coat of niteshades over the entire light assembly. This method allows the brake/running lights to be just as bright as the stock lights, but also hides that huge red looking reflector/lens on the remaining portion of taillights. The taillights now blend in very nicely with the tented windows, yet provide plenty of lights for night operation when desired. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
that looks awesome man! good job!!! now ya got me thinking...lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice indeed! Maybe some more detailed instructions, materials used etc to achieve this look would be great!
Pull interior rear plastic panels out that are located just forward of rear taillights. Note: one panel on right rear and two panels on left rear, one inside the other. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and a 10mm deep socket and remove the two nuts located on each taillight. The ones inside are at the base of two long chrome looking studs. Reach in and turn bulbs counterclockwise and remove bulbs and wire harness from taillights. Go back outside and grab outboard taillights and pull straight aft and out and they will release from their clips. The rear inboard taillights are a little different and require you to remove them by sliding outboard and then reach around and disconnect the cannon plug from forward side of inboard taillights. Once removed use 1/4 inch wide fineline blue tape to mask around the areas of taillights you don't want to be blacked out. Use a fine blade to cut edges to follow contour of the light ring. Once the outline is masked-off, just use normal tape to mask-off the remaining center of taillight. Scuff sand perimeter with 600, 800, or 1000 grit wet paper. Wipe clean with mild isophrophal alcohol. Keep other harsh chemicals away because they will attack the niteshades (cheap) paint. After everything is clean spray two coats around perimeter and let dry 15 minutes between coats. Let first two coats of niteshades dry for at least 4 hours under heat lamps or over night. After niteshades black paint has dried, remove all masking tape and take 1000 grit wet sand paper and color sand (feather) in the painted edge. Wipe lightly with alcohol and cheesecloth towels and apply 3rd and final coat of nightshades over entire taillight assembly and let dry over night. Make sure each coat is applied in a different direction to prevent light spots or uneven spots. Next day apply 3 coats of high quality automotive/aeronautical clear coat paint of your choice over all taillight lenses and let dry over night. Note: mask-off all edges and holes that you don't want over spray to enter. Color sand all dirt, fish eyes, orange peel, or any other imperfections in paint job with 1000, 1500 and then 2000 grit wet sand paper and apply 3 to 4 more coats of high quality clear coat. I used a high end paint gun at 35 psi filtered air source and got the paint to flow out like glass in a controlled heated paint booth. Let dry over night and use 1500 grit wet sand paper to remove any dirt particles on final paint job and use 3M fineese-it polish with professional grade buffing wheel to remove the 1500 grit paint scratches. Guys I won't lie this is a lot of work to get it perfect. The key is quality clear coat. The clear coats is a 3 part mix with reducer and that alone cost me over $100. The niteshades paint is only $14 a can and it really is crap paint. I wish there was another high end paint out there that works like niteshades because the reducer in the clear I used was trying to eat that niteshades for lunch, that is why you better not rush this and make sure the niteshades paint is completely dry before working with it. Reinstall lights and enjoy!!! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Resident Reefer
259 Posts
Looks nice!!!

Thought about it but I'm really not into blacking out my brake lights. Hopefully someone comes out with after market ones for the 2nd Gen Sequoias.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Love that you went with safety too, not just looks. Also takes away the mini-vanish look of the Sequoia's rear. That was really the only part I did not like of my 2008 Sequoia. Nice job!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice!!!

Thought about it but I'm really not into blacking out my brake lights. Hopefully someone comes out with after market ones for the 2nd Gen Sequoias.
That's the beauty of this method is the brake light portion isn't blacked out and the brake lights, running lights, back-up lights and blinkers are great in day or night conditions. The one coat over lighted area is just there to fade in and hide the paint edge where the other 3 coats are applied. With the 7 coats of clear over the black it makes a deep 3D appearance that looks totally custom and natural. I think it would look great on your white sequoia, especially since you did the black headlight mod. I'm thinking about doing the headlight mod next, but want to do it in silver sky metallic to match exterior paint color.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely sounds like you had/have the setup to achieve such a quality product. Perhaps you should do this on the side and offer a group offering, maybe first 20 in for a certain price. Bet you would do well. Just my 2 cents, I know I'd be interested. I just don't have the time, expertise, or correct tools to get this done.

Looks amazing though!
I could consider complying with this modification for others, but the problem I see is how would each of you be able to live without your taillights for one week (including shipping time back and forth)??? LOL! Seriously that would be the biggest opportunity to over come. Only way to reduce that negative impact is to ship your lights in as a core and I ship painted light set at same time, but that would require a large amount of trust for both sides.

Glad you guys like the way they turned out. This was the only way I could see doing this mod, because the flat look, or blacked out look wasn't working for me and didn't really flow nice on a $40K-$60K vehicle.

I'm willing to hear some ideas you guys have.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I could consider complying with this modification for others, but the problem I see is how would each of you be able to live without your taillights for one week (including shipping time back and forth)??? LOL! Seriously that would be the biggest opportunity to over come. Only way to reduce that negative impact is to ship your lights in as a core and I ship painted light set at same time, but that would require a large amount of trust for both sides.

Glad you guys like the way they turned out. This was the only way I could see doing this mod, because the flat look, or blacked out look wasn't working for me and didn't really flow nice on a $40K-$60K vehicle.

I'm willing to hear some ideas you guys have.
eh they could go to harbor freight and get some magnetic towing lights to plug in and use for that time...and....we all like one another here so we trust one another right? hahaha wanna do my tundra's lights?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys I have a smoking deal for the first 5 members only. I have enough of this clear coat to do 5 sets of taillights. This corporate jet clear coat paint with my discounts is normally $395 a gallon and that price includes the clear, catalyst, reducer and accelerator. This is what I can do.....since it is already paid for I can do this mod for the first 5 members at a reduced price. Note: the Tundra truck is slightly less in cost because the taillights are two pieces vs. the four pieces on the sequoia. First 5 names/orders to contact me will get the deal, then after that I will have to charge the higher price to cover my costs on the paint supplies. Contact me for details.

Aaron
[email protected]

·
Registered
190 Posts
That looks Sweet, nice work!! :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excellent work. If you want something done right...

Get Norcaler to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NorCaler are you still doing this? I live in Auburn, Ca. and would like to get this done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey NorCaler!

Are you still available to do this?
I live in Sac as well, and like the look of what you did.

Is it done over the outside of the lens? or is it done on the inside?
If done outside, how does it hold up to heat/cold/ UV and other environmental conditions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts