Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 AC and i think the taillights look wimpy cuz of the yellow. What do y'all think i should do? Get the taillights and 3rd brake light smoked or get these spyder aftermarket taillights and 3rd brake light?:confused:

Spyder Euro Taillights- http://www.carid.com/2001-toyota-tundra-taillights/spyder-euro-tail-lights-264468.html

Spyder Smoke Led 3rd Brake Light-
http://www.carid.com/2001-toyota-tundra-taillights/spyder-led-3rd-brake-light-265877.html

Our Very own Erki from TS with Smoked Taillights on his 2006 AC- http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/12564089

I am definitely doing what Erki did to his turn signals in the front- http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/12564090
[URL="http://www.carid.com/2001-toyota-tundra-taillights/spyder-led-3rd-brake-light-265877.html"]
Thanks for the support guys:tu:

[/URL]

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
A can of adhesion promoter, a can of Night Shades® and a can of clear coat would run you about $20. Blacking them out this way would take you about 2 hours if you are careful about it(and why rush?). It only needs about 3-4 thin coats to look darker.

I normally don't like Euro lights, especially on trucks but those ones are actually pretty nice. The choice has to be made by you since you are the one who will live with it. If your truck is black or gray, you can get away with either option, if your truck us any other color those tail lights might look kind of out of place since nothing will match them. (just personal opinion)

By the way, Erki's truck is a great truck to pull style queues from. He went a route that nobody else really has the vision to go, and his truck is one of the best looking Tundra's there is... anywhere. :tu:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erkis truck is awesome:devil:
btw my truck is green, and i think ima just smoke them. is it worth it to get led bulbs for taillights? is it plug and play?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I too have a green 2001, I want to get those euros from ebay, then do a light smoke on them. I don't like the stock tail lights as they are not smooth.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i tinted mine via Night Shades.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That looks really good Kuntryboy.

You can always get the stock tail lights off of an 05 access cab and spray those if you want the smooth body. Aftermarket lenses may be cheaper though if you can't source used ones.

Almost forgot! For tails it should be plug and play as far as LED goes. There are no extra ballasts or anything like that for LED.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
thanks. i like the look with the reverse lights not being tinted, i thought about getting the 04 tails but it would have been much harder to tape off the revers lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have those same taillights you are thinking about getting and I like them bc the lens is smooth on the outside. I like the way they look but im thinking about putting nightshades on them bc the black painted bezels just don't give the same effect as the tinted lens IMO. I also got mine off ebay for 63 bucks WITH the smoked led third brake light included...and free shipping :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
i agree with tundrunk spend about 20 bucks and do them yourself they dont look to bad on my 00 imo smoke them with nightshade. i did buy a smoked 3rd light it looks better than the old stock one besides the housing was burned from the stock bulbs and needed to be replaced so i went aftermarket rather than oem :becky:

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is anyone with running that LED 3rd brake light? It looks nice and the price isn't bad would like to see pics though
I have it on my truck and I really like it. Haven't had any problems with the leds but the chrome on the boarder/edge is already starting to wear off...I will post up some pics tomo.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The stock ones smoked look nice, but they aren't smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my lights smoked out on my tahoe that I previously had, and it was a bit interesting because that was about 3 years ago when I had that done, and it was a fairly new concept. I worked at a truck accessories shop and we have a good friend that is an autobody repair/painter, and does freaking awesome work. We saw in Truckin that they had a set of stock tail lights that were tinted black, so we figured we would take a set of bum lights we had laying around to kenneth and see if he could figure out a paint formula that you could use (I'm talking car paint, with clear coat, not anything bought in stores - but after all, hes our good friend and he will do little odd jobs like that for us for free being we are his advertisement when ppl ask where it was done :).) He sprayed and sprayed and finally got a ratio of black to clear down that works AWESOME. It is 1 part black to 30 parts clear coat. We would wet sand the lights, take them to him, and he would spray and bake them, and we would let them sit, but to me, if you go that route, I always have liked the OEM lights over Euros. I don't know why, I guess it's just because it looks to me more refined and flows. But yea, if you do your own spraying, he was using regular universal black car paint, and regular clear-coat. We did 2 coats on each light, and it looked like they had around 20% window tint over them, so I told him to hit them one more time and see what they looked like, and with 3 coats, it came out looking like an estimated 12%tint over them, you wouldn't want to go any darker. But after he did that, he just sprayed an extra coat of clear on each, and baked it, and they look like they are completely painted from the factory. (he is an excellent painter I will give him that, but just letting you know in case anyone does it themselves, we figured out the formula that basically works the best for going that route - I definitely understand though that not knowing someone like that could prove rather costly and I too would go the other route bc it looks good to me as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I believe so. I think I may have wired it wrong cause when I hit the brakes the white leds/cargo light comes on and when I open the door the red leds come on...Idk didn't come with anything to tell me which was which so I guessed :dry3d:....here are some pics though

3rdbrakelightblank.jpg

here is what comes on when I open the door/unlock

3rdbrakelightred.jpg

all I need to do is switch two of them since I think one of them is ground and the other two are the positives for the brake and cargo lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts