Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a lot of us (well maybe not a lot, but at least a few) would like a snorkel to attempt deep water crossings. I've had water come up over my hood, and it scared the crap outa me and a snorkel would have eliminated that threat. I emailed Safari Snorkels to see if they could do a Tundra snorkel, and here are the responses:

Safari said:
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your e-mail and interest in Safari.
Unfortunately the Tundra is not sold here in Australia. - Product
development is impossible without a vehicle.

Sorry I can't assist you.

Best Regards,
Rainer Fritzsche
Sales Manager
Safari
Safari said:
Keith,

Having a snorkel body that suits the fender profile / windscreen angle is really the most important issue. – I simply don’t know if the Tundra shares any sheet-metal with the 100 series Cruiser.

Here’s the installation diagram from the web site for your reference:
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/ss85.htm

Best Regards,
Rainer
Safari
So, we're back to the same problem we ran into with the APS turbo kit. Will a Landcruiser part fit a Tundra? As Rainer said, the body is the most important issue. It appears to me that the Landcruiser and the Tundra share the same fender and A pillar style, but I could be wrong. Is there any way we can verify this? If so, mating the snorkel to the air intake shouldn't be too difficult, even tho Toyota has redesigned the intake.

I think that besides custom, the Safari Snorkel is our only hope. Anyone know of other companies that might be able to make us a snorkel?

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
seems like it would take a trip to the dealership and visually inspect a few LCs with a ruler. it's the outside portion that's the sticky point, the inner portion can be booty fabbed if necessary.

usually these items are special order, unless someone knows of a supplier in their area that normally carries a few snorkels we could inspect.

-sean

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DevinSixtySeven said:
seems like it would take a trip to the dealership and visually inspect a few LCs with a ruler. it's the outside portion that's the sticky point, the inner portion can be booty fabbed if necessary.

usually these items are special order, unless someone knows of a supplier in their area that normally carries a few snorkels we could inspect.

-sean
Agreed. Whenever I've got some time to spare I'll head over to Toyota to make some measurements.

But, I know that no one in my area would carry the LandCruiser Snorkel. If anyone can find one please check it out. If no one can find one, maybe some offroad shop will donate one to us to mess with.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Volant Snorkel

Copied from off-road section for more exposure. FYI, snorkels "protect 4WD engines from the hazards of dust and water commonly encountered in touring and off road applications" (true cold air intakes). IMO, they'd look stupid on a strictly street truck with rims, etc. but be my guest.

Ok, so here's the deal, I finally got in touch with someone higher up at Volant. As some of you may know, they've started making snorkels for Jeep, Chevy, Ford, etc. I know the model for the Jeep has been getting very good reviews, but I haven't looked into the other models at all. At this time, they're working on finishing up product lines for 2007 model vehicles, but they're planning on working on more snorkels later in the year (or later in the summer).

This being said, one of the guys said that if I could provide a list of people that would purchase a snorkel right away, the owner would be more persuaded to push the Tundra project forward. I can't guarantee anything really as far as availability or even if this will happen and this should not be considered a group buy (although it might turn into one). This is our first real chance though to get a legit snorkel, so we need the support. They did not give me a specific quota of people I needed to get or anything like that, but the more the better.

My contact's name is Daniel, and he said that I can compile a list and people can email him at [email protected]. If you do email him, please add to the list I'm starting on this thread (if you don't want to put your name it's fine, but I do need an email address)...

1. Keith Marshall ([email protected])
2. Don Harward

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Volant Snorkel

So many replies...

Just email Daniel and PM me instead of putting your name on here.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Just wanted to check the status on this? Any progress with Volant?:ts:

·
Registered
239 Posts

Kinda frustrating, being that I know there are more Tacos out there than Frontiers and yet no one in the aftermarket wants to make one for it? I would think that you would have the market cornered until someone else came along.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After researching and coming accross a few forums mentioning this i saw one entry referring to a company named Volant Performance, i saw that someone was mentioning that they make snorkels for the tundra and be that as it may, i work on their computer networks and emailed the owner about the high interest in making a snorkel for our trucks. He replied let me know how many people can actually commit to purchasing one and i will start a small production and see how they sell. So i would have to get him numbers and ofcourse they will be using my 06 crew cab tundra for the specs,. So if anyone is interested let me know and can get the ball rolling.

[email protected]

Mark G.

·
1,768 Posts
Any update or progress on this?????????

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Id be insterested in buying one. I made my own, but having one that was actually designed, would be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Volant Snorkel for the 2007 Tundra will be complete in another month! Will fit the new Volant Airbox with Powercore!

Volant bought a 2007 Tundra in February to build and dyno all it's parts!

More to come!

·
1,768 Posts
Volant Snorkel for the 2007 Tundra will be complete in another month! Will fit the new Volant Airbox with Powercore!

Volant bought a 2007 Tundra in February to build and dyno all it's parts!

More to come!
Well tell them they forgot the 00-06s tundras.
Bastards!

·
1,768 Posts

Anyone in the Socal Area interested in going to Volant (8759 Lion St
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 ) Corporate Office
to let them cut a hole in the fender and fab one up.
I've gotten a response from Daniel at Volant.

Honestly I was pretty pissed off when I heard the 2007 Tundra is getting a snorkel made. Are there people who really want to cross rivers, creeks, mud bog their new tundra.

Or are there those who live in the ever increasing Flood states? Wanting to have the extra security of not flooding the engine. I suppose thats so.

But Why not 00-06 years of Tundras I aksed?
I got this response. For those who still want this

"Tell you what, are you located in So Cal do you know anyone in our area that is willing to let me take a hole saw to there fender? If you do have them give us a call and we will see if we can work something out"

email: [email protected] so we can get a list going again.
I don't know about anyone else but I want to see this on the market.
I do live around flooding rivers. Even to have this for offroad use is excellent for the added security of knowing water is going to have a harder time getting into the engine and hydrolocking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
does the size of the engine play any role in the size/shape of the snorkel? I am shipping my '02 tundra to central america in the Dec. I need a snorkel and was thinking about trying to make a safari snorkel work. Has anyone found out anything about the panel on the landcruiser matching the tundra?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
well guys it's my first post here, and i bought my first yota a month ago. it's a 2005 tundra dc. since i've been offroading, i went with a 96 cherokee(i still have) a 89 gmc k5 jimmy, and a 01 superduty, which i couldn't get squat for at the stealership now which i'm stuck with. by far i love the ride in the yota i can go fast in the same rutty roads and paths and not have my neck break from having my head bouncing around:D, and the 4.7 cranks out more ponies then my super-doodie. the only thing i'm not impressed with is the lack of aftermarket support. i've built my own snorkels in the past for my jeep that i gave my wife, and for my old jimmy. looks like i'll be doing it again, god i love pvc. anyhow i don't know if any of you have seen this, but safari snorkel is working on a snorkel system for the new 200 series landcrusier. i've been staring ate the picture of it for a good 20 minutes seein how i can make it work, which looks pretty simple. the landcrusier has the same inner rain gutter and door design as our tundras. i am just concerned about the pitch of the windshield. other than that it looks like it would work. now only if they would hurry up and make the damn thing.:unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
you can use a 100 series landcrusier snorkel.it is not an exact fit but it is pretty close. only thing is there is no window piilar so i made a bracket to mount to the roof.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
checked your album, nice pix. that snorkel looks great, does it have anything attaching the upper body to the truck or is just attached in the lower section??? how is it in the brush? and do you have any rattle??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fabricated a bracket that runs from the roof down to the stock mount on the upper part of the snorkel. it is really secure..no rattle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts