Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
my friend made a Safari landcruiser snorkel work for his 2003 tundra, and it looks very good, you wouldnt be able to tell that it wasnt intended for that vehicle. he did have to heat it up and mold it a little, because the fenders are not identical. then there was a little extra work inside the fender and engine compartment, but the whole job took less than a few hours. One other issue is the way that the upper part of the snorkel attatches, it requires a fabricated bracket. Anyway, my friend did this about three years ago and the set up has worked great so I am going to get one ordered and I will take pics and create a set of directions for anyone that is interested. my question is about the cold air intake, is there an enclosed aftermarket air box w/ a forced air induction or anything really that helps in that area, or is it better to leave that stock with a snorkel, except maybe a recharge filter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i used i piece of steel. bent and cut it to follow body line. bolted it to the mount on the snorkel (with hardware incl.)and then just used high grade silicone as a sealant and self tapping screws to hold it to the roof right above the window ( where the curve flattens out). only thing is i drive to crazy after a few jumps it stripped out. i was in costa rica & had limited options. so i used 2 part epoxy to hold it down & put new screw through the epoxy...this work for a while but i had to redo it twice. so now i am getting i friend to make a aluminum bracket but i am still looking for a better screw device...maybe a female screw rivet....if there is such a thing...last solution is to through bolt it.
one last thing we contiplated was using the original bracket provided & bending it to fit in between the weather stripping & the door only thing we worried about was wether it would be waterproof & would it create noise in the cab...
i would also be intrested in airbox upgrades? we just used stock box and sealed it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone have updates to this thread. After pulling out a jeep yesterday that would have made it across water if it had a snorkel, I am dying for one! I am ready to pull the plug on a 100 series model but want to know that it is going to work without much fuss. I dont have a problem fabbing brackets but would like pics and as much info as possible.

Thanks
Zach

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in. I really want a Snorkel for my 2002 TRD Tundra. Also; any advise about 1" wheel spacers. gut some 17 x9 with 33" but getting some rubbing offroad, even with a 2" lift. I'm gonna lift it another inch, not sure if that will take care of rubbing. Spacers? 1"? would I need to shorten the original studs to install them?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
try spidertrax. their adapters are 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. your studs are fine don't cut them! i just ordered a set for my 05 tundra. i run 295/75's about 33.6 inches with a 3 inch lift with a little frame rub on the big bumps.

·
F800GS ADV Rider
60 Posts
Looks like the 100 is the way to go, and making a bracket to attach to the roof should be done by pulling the roof liner down in the front (be very very careful not to crease it) and bolt it in from inside the cab with some stainless steel hardware, make sure to use a sizable washer inside to prevent the hardware from being pulled through the roof if it hangs up on something. Better to destroy a plastic snorkel than damage the roof! Oh, by the way, anyone making fins to go with them snorkels??? LOL!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please document and take plenty of pics. It would be so helpful to alot of guys. I have yet to pull the trigger on this but I will continue to wait patiently for this thread to evolve. If shipping wasnt such a problem in Alaska it would be easier.

Thanks for reviving this thread as well.

Zach

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is my truck on the way to Inuvik last fall. I should have made a full thread for this trip. This trip was 2500+ miles non stop on pot holed dirt roads for the most part. My truck has over 100000 and it still doesnt even have a rattle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow...that would be a great thread. I'm hoping you have a lot of pictures from that trip! I would be very interested to see that 2500 mile journey documented :tu:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Will do guys. It's getting warmer here so I'm ready to park the truck for awhile and ride the bike. I hate being rushed to finish projects and this way it'll insure that it gets done right. You only get one chance to cut the hole in the fender correctly. lol.

I ordered mine from sierraexpeditions.

tundratrader- your trip sounds amazing! I'm looking at doing a few month trip which will end somewhere in AK.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm guessing you guys havn't seen the Air Induction Pump failure threads around here lately. This idiotic pump pull air from the fender but only at startup. If you submerge the entire engine it might pour down the intake hoses right into the little pump. And then there's the diverter valves that apparently get corroded by moisture.

Perhaps a re-think of the plan is in order. :beatsme:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm guessing you guys havn't seen the Air Induction Pump failure threads around here lately. This idiotic pump pull air from the fender but only at startup. If you submerge the entire engine it might pour down the intake hoses right into the little pump. And then there's the diverter valves that apparently get corroded by moisture.

Perhaps a re-think of the plan is in order. :beatsme:
Nope. Not going to re-think anything. And as I've stated previously, my truck isn't a boat and I'm not planning on using it as such. Submerging the engine isn't going to happen.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts