Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been poking around with this snorkle thing for a couple of years, once even building one out of styrofoam. But when I saw the units mounted on the sides of British Army and Royal Narine defender 110's I knew I found a keeper. After making friends with some brit mechanics, I now possess both Army (steel) and a Royal Marine (plastic) snorkles. These have built in flexible joints that easily adapt to the Tundra and a neat swirl pre-cleaner on the top. All I'll have to do is fab up the part under the fender liner, and I should have it!

Attachments

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Excellent! I look forward to following your progress. :tu:

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Is this the Defender 110 Snorkel made by Mantec?(Mantec Services - Overland and 4x4 Equipment)
-Mack
Sorry, a little late in getting back to this thread, big war suddenly started happening over here...

Yes, I think you have a winner. That seems to be the exact snorkle I have sitting in my room. I now have three different and distinctive snorkles for the military 110 defender. One is of no use to the Tundra crowd, it is designed to attach to the top of the "wing". The plastic model will bolt right up with some customization. The ruberized steel tube will fit, but is maybe only 2.5" ID which would restrict the supercharged V8 a little.

Tedd, the A-Pillar thing is not going to be that difficult. I already started that part before I left to go back across the pond. I drilled several holes on the inside of the A-pillar and inserted some thread-serts. I fashioned a stainless plate to extend outward through the door frame/ A-pillar gap. That is the flange I will use to bolt up the snorkle tube. No real big deal with that. I'll install in in early June when I visit the states again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
is there a reason why you need to go through the A pillar? i was thinking that it would be easier to fashion a bracket that mounted to the roof just above the windshield. this would be easier to mount and seal. it would also not allow any excessive wind noise to penetrate the door seal area.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yah, I've been seeing all that on the news, keep your head down man!

Are you just going to use some more flexible hose for the inside of the fender? I was thinking some exhaust tubing might work as well. Thanks for figuring this out!

For those of us (me) who want to run the plastic Defender Snorkel on our trucks I sent an email to Mantec and they put me into contact with Land Rovers North who sent me this email regarding the snorkel. I believe the 300 TDI application is the one that we want.

EDIT* I called Landrover North and they are getting a couple in at the end of the month (3-4) and they want 329.00 for them. Rovers North.com - Land Rover Series, Defender, Discovery and Range Rover Parts - RAISED AIR INTAKE PLASTIC 300 TDI/TD5 2004+ DEFENDR
-Mack

"Thanks for the email.
We have been passed your details from Mantec (UK) regarding a Raised Air Intake for a Defender 110.
We generally keep a full compliment of these in stock.
Please advise the details of your Defender, ie, NAS V8, 200Tdi, 300 TDI, TD5, to enable us to quote the correct kit for you."

Rovers North Inc
1319 V T Rt128
Westford
Vermont
05494-9601
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Tel: 0018 028 790 032

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a reason why you need to go through the A pillar? i was thinking that it would be easier to fashion a bracket that mounted to the roof just above the windshield. this would be easier to mount and seal. it would also not allow any excessive wind noise to penetrate the door seal area.
No particuliar reason, just seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, here's what happens if you want to fit that snorkle. The fender piece fits below the fender crease (bend). B U T, by placing it there, the upper tube is about 8" too short. So, you have to find and fashion a similiar diameter tube to extend the upper straight piece, and the length will be correct. The next issue is the angle from the upright tube to the domed cap piece is a little off. You can VERY carefully heat the tube with a hair dryer and bend it slightly to angle it parallel with the ground. It also helps to tilt it inward toward the ennter of the roof, at least in my case to put the intake apparatus in near the roof rack for protection. You have to create a piece to fit inside the fender out of fiberglass, then just use tubing to atach it to an elbow wich you glue to the factory airbox.
Having said all that, I did not mount it :-((
My wife decided I am selling my truck so we are putting a bottom dollar figure on it at Ebay and letting it go. I have another off roader, a Hummer H2 SUT, which we all perfer, although it can't go many places the Tundy can, but, with all the overseas work I do, I don't have time to enjoy all my toys. I also have a Z06 vette (built) which I play with too.
So, I hope this little bit of information about the snorkle helps the next guy some, good luck...

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's too bad about your truck, I'd love to take it off your hands but I have my own project in progress! Would you be willing to part with your plastic snorkel?

-Mack

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's too bad about your truck, I'd love to take it off your hands but I have my own project in progress! Would you be willing to part with your plastic snorkel?

-Mack
I could sell it, but you need to wait till I get back in September. My wife wouldn't have a clue what to ship and I'm back in Afghan again enjoying the weather and the friendly natives....

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's fine, lemme know whenever it'll work for you. Keep your head down over there bud!

-Mack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts