Toyota Tundra Forums banner

So I finally did it.....

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ogtoyfan 
#1 ·
Stopped by the muffler shop today just to see what was going on. Willy, the salesman will B & B muffler was AERO Mufflers, to be more presise the 3030XL. He said yes, so I had him order me one.

Go ahead and say what you will. I have been here for a few months and listened to everyone either b*tch or brag about and exhaust and why they did it. Why theirs sounds better then anybody elses. I have to do something, I like trying something new.

We will install a 2.25 into 3" mandrel "Y" pipe which will install into the new muffler, which has the built in resonator. We will then reinsatll the factory tailpipe with resonator and an old recycled polished, resonated stainless tip.

In theory, this should give me a very mellow tone, hardly noticable at idle, little to no drone and a nice "you just got passed by an American made rice burner" tone when I stand on the skinny pedal.

I will post pics during from during the install. Sound clips will follow when I can get a good way to record it and have a guy from work post it.

Please feel free to comment, just don't knock it until you try it.:beavbutt:

See less See more
#2 ·
Stopped by the muffler shop today just to see what was going on. Willy, the salesman will B & B muffler was AERO Mufflers, to be more presise the 3030XL. He said yes, so I had him order me one.

Go ahead and say what you will. I have been here for a few months and listened to everyone either b*tch or brag about and exhaust and why they did it. Why theirs sounds better then anybody elses. I have to do something, I like trying something new.

We will install a 2.25 into 3" mandrel "Y" pipe which will install into the new muffler, which has the built in resonator. We will then reinsatll the factory tailpipe with resonator and an old recycled polished, resonated stainless tip.

In theory, this should give me a very mellow tone, hardly noticable at idle, little to no drone and a nice "you just got passed by an American made rice burner" tone when I stand on the skinny pedal.

I will post pics during from during the install. Sound clips will follow when I can get a good way to record it and have a guy from work post it.

Please feel free to comment, just don't knock it until you try it.:beavbutt:
HAHAHAHA american made rice burner i love it hurry with those pics bro...

#4 ·
So the shop called today. The muffler came in. Took the soome total of 3 minutes to go drop the truck off. Pulled it on the rack and showed him what the plan is.

We are cutting the factory muffler off at the lead pipes and installing a 2.25 to 3" "Y" pipe then the Aero Turbine (model 3030 XL) onto the stock tailpipe and resonator.

I will pick it up after work and drive it. The plan is to make adjustments (cut out resonator or add a tip (polished SS and resonated) if any drone or exxess noise is noticed.

#5 ·
All righty be sure to post your experience!

#6 ·
Test drove after the install. WOW.

Nice mellow tone, hardly noticable at idle (at least from the interior). Mellow tone (fairly deep wha sound at speed).

Had to fight the wind on the ride home so I was in and out of the throttle. At 65 (about 18-1900 rpm) you get a bit of the tone, no drone as the sound goes away.

I drove it around town as I spent some family time after work. I did not notice any loss of low end power. It actually appears that I have more torque. No dyno numbers to prove it, just from the seat of my pants.

The tone is mellow enough that I might not install a tip (The truck is a Rock Warrior so ther is no chrome on it, why install a SS tip and throw everything off). I might look into a black polished SS tip to keep with the theme of the truck.

I have a road trip planned for next Wednesday (same one I will be doing for the next 3 years) and will compare my mileage to what I have from the previous two trips. So far no complaints.

#7 ·
I would recommend installing a glass pack in place of the stock resonator. I had a set of foolies http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/performance-exhaust-systems/153700-aero-exhaust/ installed on my truck and really love the sound. Here is a thread I wrote on my Aero Turbine:Even though my overall mileage did not improve that much, I do think that my in-town mileage did increase.

One thing that I read somewhere after having mine installed was that there needed to be a good straight shot after the turbine (maybe 12 inches?) in order to get the most out of it. I need to track that down and verify it. If so, then I have some fixin' to do.

Congratulations on the Aero.

#9 ·
TunDrunk. i will get pics this week. I picked up the truck and then went to a dance for my daughter. I will post when I take them.

On a brighter note. I drove the truck today while helping a friend move. very quite inside at 60 once it gets into high, noticable in 4th.

#10 ·
Okay, new update.

300 mile round trip to a field project. Various terrain. Average speed 67MPH. Up and over a 14% grade (both ways). No loss of power (at least I can't feel any loss). At 60 you can hear the exhaust but anything above 65 (cruising) is quite. I think I have found a silent alternative.

And yes I do have the wooooaaaa you just got passed by some fried rice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.