Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4th pair of Silverstars have burned out. Instead of paying $50 for some silverstars, I did some research and found that some of you guys recommend DDM for some decent inexpensive HID kits.

So far, I figure I need H4 bulb kit in whatever color I want (prob 5k, sposed to be the whitest).

Is this a pretty durable kit? Is it something that will last longer than my silverstars? I have read plenty of stories about the high beams not working with these kits.

Also, I still have my Silverstar fogs. Will the new HID uppers looks stupid with the fogs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The kits are plug and play. Come with a wiring harness that connects directly to your battery, that will plug into your ballast's. Then you've got the wiring that goes to the HID bulbs from the ballasts. Everything is plug and play. Just lay it out before you install it to get a better idea of whats going on.

Only one headlight connector on the stock wiring harness will be used, it will turn both HID lights on an off.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Is this a pretty durable kit? Is it something that will last longer than my silverstars? I have read plenty of stories about the high beams not working with these kits.

Also, I still have my Silverstar fogs. Will the new HID uppers looks stupid with the fogs?
I have the DDM kit sitting at home and not installed. Here is how I see it.

Pro:
The kit is plug and play and straight up for install
Appears to be functional enough and does deliver as promised
Cost is reasonable for what it does without getting into retro fits or wiring changes
They DO improve light output (lumens,etc) if you are a night driver

Con: (only my opinion)

The ballast changed in style and color in less than 6 months when I bought it. Made me think, how often will this happen? I want the system to be matched for detail if I need to replace a piece of it (anal side of detailing)

I am not too crazy about adding another hookup to my battery and 5 ballasts to get everything to run (includes fogs)

A lot of wires to hide or manage (only important for engine detail which I want). Otherwise, easy enough to tuck most of the cables away.

I was not too impressed with the (1) connector wire at 24 gauge or whatever it is. Too thin for me for a connector wire from the ballast.

I prefer my fogs and lights match (detail again). May not be important to others.

I think it is easier to replace a bulb than a ballast if it goes bad. I have a spare set of
bulbs in the garage. (I have PIAA on board right now)

I am still undecided whether to install the kit. It will be more of a mod than improvement
for me, as my night driving is limited to say the least.

I think it depends on the person and what is wanted. I have seen them in person on another Tundra and the visibility is great. Just not sure if the pros are better than
the cons for me.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I see what you are saying. It does look like a bit of extra wiring that needs to be hidden. Also, my fogs wont be HID for now, and I dont want them to look dumb.

However, on my parents $60k QX56, the tops are HID, bottoms are regular Halogen from the factory. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
However, on my parents $60k QX56, the tops are HID, bottoms are regular Halogen from the factory. Go figure.
I guess they figure lights are used more than fogs and lights. My kit has both top and bottom,
which is why I noted 5 ballasts. They are nice, but....I need to decide.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tops of the tundras are H4 High/Low. What are the fogs? 9006?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I guess they figure lights are used more than fogs and lights. My kit has both top and bottom,
which is why I noted 5 ballasts. They are nice, but....I need to decide.

Whats the 5th ballast go to? (2x-headlight / 2x-foglights)

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking maybe 55w 5k for the top, and possibly 35w 5k for the bottom. Would there be anything wrong with going for 55w up top?

Also, is the only diff in the slim ballast kit the size of the ballast? And do these things come with the wire harness?

·
Registered
842 Posts
i went with 35w on both..cause i figure if a normal halogen is 55w i could save some current draw without a loss in light. i dont see a difference between 55w and 35w

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Brandon

Your tundra will not look dumb or stupid with HID's in the headlights and regular halogens in the fog lights. Just how you said that your parents QX56 are HID atop and regular halogen in the fogs, such is the case with all cars that come equipped with HID's from the factory. Look at BMW's, Mercedes, Cadillac’s, all of them have HID's top and regular halogen bottom.

Me personally, that's how I have my setup because I think it looks more factory like. When I see cars or trucks with HID's in both the headlights and fog lights, I think it looks weird. Also, I wouldn't recommend going higher than 6000K.

Just my .02 cents!
Gus

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Still the unanswered question is /was :

Why 5 ballasts ??

( 2 headlights plus 2 foglights equals 4 ... ? ) am I missing something ?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Still the unanswered question is /was :
Why 5 ballasts ??
( 2 headlights plus 2 foglights equals 4 ... ? ) am I missing something ?
Okay, now I am thinking I lost my memory. I quoted from memory (dangerous) because I am 3000 miles away from home and my Tundra. (and still away from homebase)

No one corrected me, so, now I need to check and will have my daughter do it for me who lives nearby. I have not seen the kit for months, so, I will have pics taken of the kit.

Yes, there are (slim) ballasts for each light 2 up (low beams) and 2 down (fogs). But, I wanted high and lows, which gave me another ballast, and it required a battery hookup. How I remember it...let me confirm it now.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
61 Posts
Would that 5th ballast be for the motors that move the bulb from low beam to high beam position? How do these conversions work when you want to flash your high beam? Dont they slowly get brighter and brighter? Where do yall by this so called DDM HID kit?

·
Registered
229 Posts
<-- 2001 Tundra with HID from DDM, High and Low 6000k 55w and fog lights 4000k 35w

For your question about flashing your high beams, its fine you just have to wait for your ballast to charge the first time, so once its started durning start up which takes about 30-50 secs your good to go so if you wanted to flash your high beams they are bright right off the back. if you have any questions please let me know. I love my likes very much just make sure you aim them right

And for 5 ballast your wrong, I only have 4 and I have high and low beams

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
<-- 2001 Tundra with HID from DDM, High and Low 6000k 55w and fog lights 4000k 35w

And for 5 ballast your wrong, I only have 4 and I have high and low beams
I might be. But, as I posted, I am 3000 miles away from my Tundra right now. I will take a pic of my kit when I get home, so I know what it includes for high/low and the fogs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts