Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I would be willing to bet that trim piece can be purchased separately. I would also be willing to bet the part number is stamped on it. The downside, thats a painted part right? If it is then you either buy a new one and need to pay to have it painted, or you try and find one from a scrap yard with the same color code.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The plate surround is all one piece. Good news is it's relatively easy to remove. Bad news is finding a color match paint. Or don't worry about it and rattle can it!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be willing to bet that trim piece can be purchased separately. I would also be willing to bet the part number is stamped on it. The downside, thats a painted part right? If it is then you either buy a new one and need to pay to have it painted, or you try and find one from a scrap yard with the same color code.
The plate surround is all one piece. Good news is it's relatively easy to remove. Bad news is finding a color match paint. Or don't worry about it and rattle can it!
Silver Sequoias are fairly common, I shouldn't have an issue with finding one at a junkyard. Just gotta figure out how to remove that piece.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Youtube how to remove the inner trim thats covering. I cant imagine it would be anything more than a few screws holding the outer trim piece in place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you'll have to remove the panel on the inside of the lift gate. that trim ring is held on by 6 or 8 plastic pop rivets and one nut that holds the lock cylinder to some liftgate structure. I just had to do this to replace my broken handle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's been a couple years since I went in and replaced my handle. Rolling the rear window down an inch helps a lot. Open the back plastic panel, then remove the black metal panel. Unbolt the window regulator and let it hang out inside the door. There are several plastic clips, two up, two sides and two down, using pliers should pinch them. There is a small nut on the lock cylinder and two more bolts holding the handle. There is a wiring harness to the plate lights. I think after that, the trim piece should come out free. Expect some rust and tight spaces, so I hope you have small hands! Oh and have a helper hold the door down, or tie it down because over-head work sucks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts