Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem solved: so it was the starter, thank god after the fun it was taking apart everything. Solenoid was activating but the starter motor was dead. Now I just have to put it all back together.

So my wife pulled my 2002 v8 Tundra truck in the garage last night where she reported it started pretty ruff and gave me the ole, “I think it’s time you buy a new truck” lecture. I shrugged it off like I always have for past 5 years figuring it’s just because it’s not as shiny and nice as her 18 4runner. So I attempted to start it last night to run to the store and I got nothing but a click. I thought, well maybe the battery is dead so I’ll give it a jump. I had recently drained the battery few weeks back by leaving interior cab light on which almost resulted in a failed start but did not. So while attempting to jump my truck with hers it resulted in a failure and I quickly realized it was not just going to be a quick battery issue, or maybe it will?

So I pulled the battery off and charged it to 100% with 10amp charger, checked it with a multimeter which gave 13.1v, throughly cleaned the clamps and terminals and retightened everything. I then attempted to turn it over which resulted in only a single loud click each time I turn the key. The headlights dim if on during the process, and so do the interior lights. I noticed when I have the key turned to on/power position I can hear a loud humming/electrical/56k dial up modem noise that is relentless. I pulled the starter relay and checked for resistance which I believe I did correctly. I’ve also searched numerous threads here with no direct answer just some options.
  1. I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I know this could be a starter issue and it is a bit cumbersome which I will under take if needed. I just do not want to tear the entire manifold apart if it’s something I may just be missing. Especially the the weird humming noise and single loud click while attempting to turn it over. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Before you spend money I would check two things. Bad battery connections. I had a older truck that developed starting issues. It ended up being the battery cable and not the battery. Swap her battery and see if it is the battery. Easy test. Of course with a 2002 it is about due for a new starter too but I would test the battery and try and see if the cables are somehow bad. My Positive cable was literally down to a single strand inside the shrink tubing

·
Registered
23 Posts
13 volts does not equal 400-600 amps needed to start your truck. Do a trickle charge at 2 amp or lower setting if you have it available. Let the battery charge to 13.9-14.05. If the battery is getting abnormally hot, take a break from the charger till it cools before continuing to 14. I would be trending toward battery amperage problem or starter. Charging to 14 won't fix a dying battery but it may build available amperage enough to continue diagnosis. Follow the main grounds off the battery and verify clean tight connections at engine and chassis. Then ensure connections are clean and tight at the starter. Charging up to 14- 14.1 is safe, charging over that will do more harm then good for what is left of your battery. If all the above looks good try starting again. Observe and report back. If your battery struggles to reach 13.8 or higher. That would be a clue it is likely sulfated and struggling. It may still hold enough amps to start though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I disconnected my battery and connected my wife’s 4Runner battery which provided me with different noise. Instead of one loud click and battery drainage I get multiple clicks like a machine gun pellet gun. Truck still doesn’t attempt to turn over just a ton of clicks. Should I be safe to say it’s the starter? I’m about to start digging into the intake manifold now because I’d like to be able to use my truck tomorrow to get to work. What you guys think, thanks for the tips. Starting issues not exactly my favorite diagnostic problem, but I suppose it could always be worse!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It sure sounds like a starter. I would try it early in the am and then when it is the warmest of the day. Sometimes when they start to go out they will sometimes work. Just to get it to turn over once would be reassuring that it is the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When the starter went out on my 2000 Tundra a few years back, I did a double take on the starter location. Then I wanted to find the SOB that designed the engine to place the starter under the intake manifold and force them to replace it with my hand tools. But I got over myself. the hardest part was the firewall clearance made it really suck. I got it done, do not want to do that again but now I need to change out the valve cover gaskets and I really need to replace all the vacuum hoses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts