Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading just about every thread I could find on replacing the stock speakers on a non-jbl HU, I went to a friend's audio shop to see what it would cost to get something other then installing Polk's.

I had no intention of trying to match my home stereo system (ariel speakers and martin logan sub) but tried to improve the overall sound quality and ability to turn up the music loud without distortion.

I ended up with a sweet deal (he is the manager so deep discounting on everything) on boston acoustic S60s, kicker 50x2 amp, & dynamat covering both front doors.

Boston Acoustic S60
6-1/2" 2-Way Component System
Power Handling:
• Peak: 300 watts per set / 150 watts each side
• RMS: 110 watts per set / 55 watts each side
Copolymer cone woofer
Rubber surround
3/4" Type-S2 Kortec dome tweeter
External crossover with tweeter output options
4 ohms impedance
Top-mount depth: 2-5/16"

I had them mount the tweeters on the sail panels and the amp went under the passenger seat.

Since I have a RCSB and no interest in rear speakers (would take room away from my dog, cooler of beer, guns and ammo), I went with a 2-channel amp.

I also switched from a headphone to Aux cable on my ipod to a cable that connects to the 25(?) pin connector on the Ipod to the Aux and has a noise filter since I can't go digital to digital with my HU.

Overall, huge improvement over the stock speakers for the amount of money I spent.

I did not hang around for the multi-hour install but I have a few pics. Yep ... that is my cattle dog/border colllie's black and white fur.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good job with the stereo, I need to get mine in... but you can trust me the OEM JBL's....nothing to crow about.

~JH

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
mine is OK with the non JBL stuff...certainly nothing special but it is servicable for my needs, but i'd hate to have a modern truck w/o rear speakers...two speakers to me just seems very 1980's mazda b series pickup or something. 4 speakers is the minimum anything should have IMO. to me, 4 eh speakers are better than only two outstanding ones. so, just add the rears and i'd be super jealous. till then, im only halfway jealous hehe

·
Registered
148 Posts
mine is OK with the non JBL stuff...certainly nothing special but it is servicable for my needs, but i'd hate to have a modern truck w/o rear speakers...two speakers to me just seems very 1980's mazda b series pickup or something. 4 speakers is the minimum anything should have IMO. to me, 4 eh speakers are better than only two outstanding ones. so, just add the rears and i'd be super jealous. till then, im only halfway jealous hehe
he has a regular cab as mentioned in the op.rear speakers would not add anything to the sound quality.
more speakers does not equate to better sound.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch ... a mazda series b? low blow! sadly i remember those but never .. fortunately... owned one.

Yeah ... i realize having a dedicated enclosed subwoofer in the rear and have door speakers that primary handled mid-range would have been better but that would mean less room for the really important stuff I place behind the seats.

As is, I am pleased to hear a lot more dynamic range from the music then i ever heard from the [email protected] stock speakers and i have convinced myself the interior of the cab is quieter because of the dynamat shielding some road noise.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'd take his 2 Boston Acoustics over the 4 stock ones anyday!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts