Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone (and especially Brandon1):

I just returned from a trip to Russia and noticed someone hit my truck. I'm not sure if it happened while parked at a friends house while I was gone or while I was running last minute errands before leaving. Luckily the damage, while covering a large area, is very minimal. It looks like they scraped my entire fender flair on the front passenger side and then scraped the door underneath the side-view mirror and halfway back down the door. My truck is black and there is massive amounts of white and grey paint on the flair and door. Luckily, it didn't even leave a dent or deep scratch on the door but the flair will probably have to be sanded and repainted. There isn't a dent on the flair but I can feel gouges. I washed the truck and about half the white paint came off but there is still quite a bit to be removed.

My question is what should I use to remove the rest of the white paint and then fill the minor scratches that are probably on the door, followed with what kind of wax. I will try the same on the fender and see how it looks before getting an estimate on sanding and repainting.

The bright side is for someone to scrape my truck on so much of an area, it is surprising there isn't a dent. I definitely think their truck probably looks pretty bad based on the amount of paint they lost.

Thanks for your help,
Craig

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Ok dude, sorry bout your truck.

Start off with clay and see if that removes any paint. Then try Scratch-X or Mothers Power Polish to see if you can remove it abrasivly. Also, check adhesive remover to see if that will dislodge the paint.

After all that, can the scratches be felt by your fingernail? If so, then a repaint is in order. If not, it can be saved. Until I know this, I will tell you the best bet will be to hide them. use something like #7 Meguiars or such to hide them and hit them with any wax of your preference.

Do let me know if you can catch the scratch on your fingernail, that will let me know where to go with products.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brandon. :ts:
I just got this truck in November and haven't had the chance to wax it yet so I don't have a wax of my choice because it has been years since I had anything worth waxing and things have changed so much since then. What wax would you recommend? (Yes, I'm reading the threads to find this out, too.) I can't feel any scratches with my fingernail in the door, so I think it will buff out OK. :) The fender flair is a different story. I can see scratches as well as feel them. :mad: Being plastic, I hope it can be sanded smooth and repainted which should be cheaper than replacing it. I hope to pick up supplies tomorrow and try to work on this this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I got my fender flair repainted when a mailbox ran out in front of me ;) for $100. No biggie on that. Just use the scratch-X on the trucks scratches, run the applicator lengthwise over the scratch, then just work the product in the paint until it is gone. Repeat as many times as nessisary.

Just follow the detail writeup in this forum for a recomendation on great wax.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My NAPA doesn't stock Duragloss products and the man refered me to Advance, but they don't either. The lady there called two other stores and no luck. I checked the Duragloss website and found there is a Bumper-to-Bumper store on my way home. I called and they stock Duragloss. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again,
Craig

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Worked on my truck this weekend and this was the result:
I was able to get all the paint off my truck and the door and front quarter panel are fine. The clay bar took most of the white paint off and the scratch-x took the rest off. It took a while and a lot of rubbing, but I figured I would thank myself later for doing it right and doing a good job. The fender flair does have about twenty gouges in the paint, but none go into the plastic so it should sand out fine. Since the plastic underneath is dark gray, the scratches don't look too bad. This is good because it might be a while before I can get the flair repainted. It is also good that it is plastic so I don't have to worry about rust!
Thanks again Brandon1 for your advice.
Craig

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Glad it turned out ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts