Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vscf off flashing, traction control warning on, 4-Lo blinking, and engine light on. So I took it to the dealers. Dealer calls and says they wouldn't diagnose the problem because I had put in a volant CAI. I've had the car nearly 2 years now and I put the CAI in back when I first bought the car. They said I would have to put the original CAI back in and bring the car back. So I did, but the day after I put the original CAI back in and before I brought the car back in to the dealers, all the lights disappeared! I'm so confused! Why would something happen after all this time? I just don't get it!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i think those problems happened alot due to bad coils or something a while back...hopefuly someone can help with some threads.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've had this happen on two occasions. The only common variable between the two times was that I was driving on slippery snow covered roads. Seems to happen when my wheels are slipping and then I hit a dry piece of pavement. Unfortunitely the event (when it happens) isnt recorded on the trucks ECU.

I chock it up as the truck getting confused. It's seeing a different variable from one of the VSC wheel sensors than it thinks it SHOULD be seeing. A restart of the truck clears the lights and your good to go.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the strange thing is, even though mine does share the same blinks, I don't think it was throwing off those codes that they were saying. I have read through those threads, but in my truck, the lights eventually went away by themselves. I could get it to go into 4 wd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the mass airflow sensor prolly came lose. Happened to me on my airaid after a year and a half. easy fix

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sure enough....I was gonna tell you to run a search on this...

I have had the same problems on a few separate instances. Mostly always noticed it happens after driving in cold weather at high altitude.

Anyway, first time my service advisor ( a VERY good friend of mine) had diagnostics ran, and it was a bad coil (#7, if I recall). Second time it happened, same diagnostics, and it was a MAF sensor. Replaced, and no more issues as of yet.

Now, I am running a TRD supercharger, which includes the TRD CAI. Could it be related? I think so... That said, TRD had a slew of issues with the original ECU mapping, mostly pertaining to cold weather performance. I have since had the new flash loaded on there, so we'll see what happens this winter while trekking to the CO mountains every weekend for snowboarding.

Oh and BTW, both times it happened to me, I would check the fuel cap. Remove and re-attach. Don't know if it helped, but always the day after it started, it would stop on it's own....No more Christmas tree dash flashing....

·
Registered
79 Posts
My rock warrior came with the kill switch in the turn signal and the one time I let my wife go start the truck I noticed all those flashing lights. She had false started it and didnt do the turn signal thing correctly so I figured it was due to that.

All I did is unplug the battery and havent seen it since. I do have the TRD CAI and have cut out the aquarium filter but dont think it was due to that. 3k more miles since and still clear of flashing lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, the same thing just happened to me. Engine light on, 4lo blinking, vsc blinking and traction control light on. Took it to the dealer and they worked on it for hours tracking down all kinds of trouble codes. Called me to tell me that they found out it was the MAF sensor that I had reinstalled on my K&N Filter charger when I put it in a year ago when the truck was new. They said they cleared the codes and everything was fine. Going down to the dealer I was almost crapping myself figuring I would be slammed with hours of labor time spent. Upon arriving I was told there were NO charges. I ran into the service manager and he stated , yes, they spent a lot of time on it and even though it was an after market part they wouldnt charge me. Really nice dealership. Told me the K&N passes so much more air that maybe I jumped on it really hard and it upset the MAF sensor. Said it might happen again, or not, and even suggested a purchase a Superchip tuner or the like to recalibrate it. Also told me a little item I did not know. Although my OBD code scanner wont read all the codes on this truck it WILL clear trouble codes. Interesting. Once again, NICE DEALERSHIP!

·
Registered
570 Posts
same thing happened today, story below. Been reading all the responses across a couple of threads here. No new gas, no strange or hard turns, running at about half a tank. Battery is only 6 months old. Put new tires on about 2 weeks ago. Almost everything I have read people mention many lights on and blinking. Not mine. To get it to work, I didn’t disconnect battery or anything. After about 4 or 5 starts when this happened, it just fixed itself. In fact, of course, when I get to my mechanic (it’s been about an hour now since it happened, was towed there)… it fires right up and nothing bad or weird happening.

I had been driving about 45 minutes today when it happened. Thank god, did NOT happen when driving. It was my first stop of the day, unplanned.

What else might be pertinent? Lesse.. the engine fired up fine each time. Power steering and brakes worked. 180K miles. Have never had a problem with the truck. Not once. Never even failed to start on a dead battery in ten years.

Ok, my story...

Something odd like that happened to me today. After driving around fine, I get back in at a gas station and the 4lo is blinking. I didn't have it on 4x4 anything... haven't for a couple months. no gears would engage. I could put it in park, but it didn't stay put. it just rolled back due to gravity. Put it in drive, and also no reaction from the truck. Though I could physically move the shifter, no gears engaged. I have read other folks who had this problem, and there were many lights blinking. This was just the one. Obviously, tied to put it in and out of 4hi and low, and got no reaction. Could only hold the truck in place by the parking brake.

had it towed to my mechanic, and everything was fine. drove and shifted fine. He checked for codes, and there were none. Basically, it sounded like I was crazy. Luckily, this is the same mechanic I have been using since before I got the truck ten years ago. So, is a trusted mechanic and he knows the truck and has all the service records.

truck is behaving completely normal since then (a few hours ago). No recent weather or water or accident or anything. It was very hot out for Denver, about 95. Not sure if that had an impact.

It wasn’t even a day breaker… had AAA, some nephews in town came to get me. What scares me is wife takes this truck to far places towing our big horse trailer (pics on my profile of it)… and I also have a long ass drive where I have no cell coverage. Funny thing is, I am not remotely worried about breaking down (now that it’s summer.)… just scared of breaking down outside of cell coverage. Luckily, and perhaps ironically, I work for AAA.

So, I always feel protected if I break down.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
570 Posts
as I mentioned above... it fixed itself.

bad news, happened again today. Only thing similar to last time? It is super hot out (95 in Denver)

this breakdown was a tiny bit different... all the lights were blinking. Wife had it today, so I don't know too much about the specifics.

this time, taking it to dealer.

·
Registered
570 Posts
update -

The thing I posted about last week (blinking lights, no driving) happened again today. Last week, I took it to my mechanic. He said it threw no codes. Also, it fixed itself.
It happened again today, so I am skipping my local independent guy and going to the Toyo dealer (Go Toyota, Arapahoe rd Denver)

Heard back from the dealer. They said it is throwing codes for a bad transmission, and speed sensor. Both of these are consistent with what I have been reading here. I am cross posting this on a few threads. There are about 5 on this exact issue.

They said they want to hold it overnight to let the transmission cool down. Both times it has failed (today and a week ago, in Denver) it’s been super hot out.
She said my speed sensor needs an update, and it may be that simple. Though fixing it is out of warranty, she said she will do it for the original $85 diagnostic code. This is all more than fair, I feel, considering I am dealing with a dealer.

Here is what I think will happen. They will flash the necessary updates, truck will cool down… and it will be fine. Until another supe hot day.

She felt if the computer updates don’t help it, the transmission may be dying. That seems odd to me, since it only fails when it’s hot. All I know about transmissions is 15 years of listening to car talk. They always say it tends to go gradually.
Really, even if it is the transmission… I can’t complain. I got 180K miles on it, its 10 years old, and it tows a horse trailer a couple times a month. It has been a work horse and a ranch truck.

I would love any feedback or theories y’all have, and I will do my best to keep you updated… for the next person this happens to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts