Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son backed his truck into a tree not noticing the tailgate had unlatched--(he's 2 hrs away at college). (I know, I know...) So, anyway, what's the least expensive option? Repair the existing or get a replacement put on?? He and a friend took the tailgate off and he has it in his apartment. His dad's sending him an "Airgate" for now.

Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Auto part Tire

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Least expensive? Take it off and put on one of those gator-net thingys. Next up would be finding one in a bone-yard that is the same color or just keeping it the color you find and let him be reminded of the damage he caused every time he sees it. Then would be get one from a bone-yard and either painting yourself or having it painted. Then would be to order a replacement from the vender of your choice and pay to have it matched.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That one's toast. I had a contractor back into mine in the same spot last year but not nearly as bad. I could still close and latch it. No body shop would even try and fix it. I got the same story everyplace, when they get hit square on the top you can't really fix them. I looked for a junkyard one, but they were all beat up. A new replacement with paint and everything ended up a little over $1600 (yeah I was shocked the parts alone were over 1k). The contractor manned up and wrote a check for it with no fuss which was nice. You may need some internal parts with a hit that bad that I didn't, so it may push closer to 2k. Of course just a year later I dropped the tailgate down forgetting I had set a padlock on the bumper and put a nice ding in the face of it :mad:.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Makes me regret not buying the whole box with tail gate from a company that purchased the trucks new and removed the whole box to put those stake bed platforms on. The whole box with gate was 600 bucks new and they had a good selection of them all in white.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice! He installed an Airgate type thing and we'll look for a junkyard tailgate. The Tundra with the wrap on it is local pickup only in Texas and we live in Florida. Our body shop estimate was about 2100.00 parts and labor..way too much for us. Now to install the backup camera I bought a few years ago...he's finally going to put it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's one by me. He is parting it out. I bet the cover is just a wrap and can be easily removed. He is listing the entire bedbox. I'm unsure if he will just sell the tailgate or what shipping will cost ya.

Parting out 2003 TOYOTA TUNDRA SR5
Thanks...I saw that one, it was really nice, but too far from us. We're in Florida. The ad said local pick up only. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks...I saw that one, it was really nice, but too far from us. We're in Florida. The ad said local pick up only. :)
Did you find one yet? If not, you can call them to see how much they want? I'd be willing to pick it up and drop it off at a shipping place for ya. You'd have to arrange the pickup and shipping, but I'd be willing to run the errand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts