Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the sonar part of the TRD package or is it an accessory? I didn't see it as an option when I built my truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evidently front and rear sonar is available on the '07. I'm buying a '07 Tundra DC with TRD (Should be delivered this week) and I want to buy the backup camera and display, but you need either the tow kit or the sonar to install it, and I was wondering if the sonar was part of the TRD package. I don't remember seeing it as an accessory option.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Its not part of the TRD package....its an option

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the Southeast Toyota, it is an accessory. I orderd mine with the TRD and had to get it installed at the port for 460 extra just rear though not front. I am going to buy the rear cam myself and do it, because it is a lot cheaper than adding it through the dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the Southeast Toyota, it is an accessory. I orderd mine with the TRD and had to get it installed at the port for 460 extra just rear though not front. I am going to buy the rear cam myself and do it, because it is a lot cheaper than adding it through the dealer.
Your dealer screwed you. He wanted you to get that port sonar because he made more money on it charged you more than the factory and gave you half as much. It doesn't work the same as the factory either. You CAN get it factory in the SET area but you would have to order it that way. They won't tell you that and you probably won't find one on the lot with factory sonar in the SET area because they don't make as much money on the factory one. Don't buy that SET port crap you will regret it. Plus they replace the bumper with a cheap after market resin bumper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sonar? for when the truck is underwater? and when would that be?

Hey as funny as it does sound, "Page 31 in the new 2007 Tundra Booklet under specifications in the utility section it clearly states Front and Rear Clearance Sonar"

It is actually Sonar. Some older styles on Ford I believe was infared, they quit making it and started using sonar as well.. Go figure!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
why would you need a sonar when the back up camera is there..Secondly ,i hate it. you still have like a foot and the thing alarms like your going to wreck something. i have it in my odyssey and i alway turn it off...because when getting into a tight spot and your commited it throws you off..i always have it off...

my 2 cents
Lemon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have it as well in my F250 and I love it. I added it as an option on my DC when I ordered it this week. I will add the camera to later, because living by yourself and hooking up a boat it will be very useful. The sonar on my truck now works great. It only alarms you with a constant beep when you are an inch form hitting whatever, so I love the stuff. I did not get front ones, but I think back and kinda wish I did. My F250 was hard enough to park, but if you pull up and there is a car in front I always miss judge and leave about 1 ft or more.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Your dealer screwed you. He wanted you to get that port sonar because he made more money on it charged you more than the factory and gave you half as much. It doesn't work the same as the factory either. You CAN get it factory in the SET area but you would have to order it that way. They won't tell you that and you probably won't find one on the lot with factory sonar in the SET area because they don't make as much money on the factory one. Don't buy that SET port crap you will regret it. Plus they replace the bumper with a cheap after market resin bumper.
Um, Toyota factory sonar option is $500

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dealer prob added the sonar on to a truck that was already headed to dealer to prevent long wait. The resin bumper is because the factory rear bumper is not pierced with the holes for the sensors. Is the resin piece an overlay or a complete bumper replacement? The resin bumper piece would have to have a Toyota service number, as the same Toyota kit is supplied in other regions. One thing for sure, all the port accessories are not the same value for the money as factory installed systems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why would you need a sonar when the back up camera is there..Secondly ,i hate it. you still have like a foot and the thing alarms like your going to wreck something. i have it in my odyssey and i alway turn it off...because when getting into a tight spot and your commited it throws you off..i always have it off...

my 2 cents
Lemon

Lemon,

According to the installation manual for the backup camera you cannot install the backup camera without the Sonar and/or the tow kit. If you buy an SR5 with the TRD package you are S.O.L. if you want to add the backup camera, because it doesn't come with either the sonar or the tow kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lemon,

According to the installation manual for the backup camera you cannot install the backup camera without the Sonar and/or the tow kit. If you buy an SR5 with the TRD package you are S.O.L. if you want to add the backup camera, because it doesn't come with either the sonar or the tow kit.
Depends on what area your in.
My truck coming with the tow kit and its a TRD package. I added the optional sonar.

·
Registered
38 Posts

If its not the same as the factory one that I looked at to place my order then they are going to eat this order and order me one from factory that has it installed.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Then, I would be sure to research the description of the sonar operation in the Tundra iGuide to make sure that the one you get looks and works like the factory one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Sonar on my Limited and do use it daily. The one complaint I have is that the front bumper has only two sensors on the outer edges of the bumpers. When you are pulling straight in to a parking spot or garage that hood is big and you cannot see over it. Hard to judge distance is there is a small car in front of you, as long as you are pulling Straight In the outer sensors do not work at all.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts