Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im very new to ts as far as being a member lol but i have read the forums alot im soon to be doing a sas on a 2000 toyota tundra sr5 thats 2wd...i know i know why would i want to do that when there are 4wd's out there but this truck has alot of miles ont it and its my first big project and i wanna attempt it i have a shope here in florida called ernies 4x4 he is gonna be helping me do the swap and 4wd conversion but i have seen apimpdad's tundra dyogim's tundra and all the others and they have all been an inspiration to do this so i will post as i do the swap and what all goes on plz feel free to comment and if anyone that has done this already (apimpdad or dyogim) have any helpful tips i would appreciate it lol.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
What are your plans for the truck off roading wise? Mud, trails, rocks, weekend truck, DD, or a designated toy? What axles are you wanting to run and how are you going to go about converting to a 4x4? 4x4 tranny and t-case or a divorce mount case?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its gonna mostly see mud here in my little town of starke thats all we have is mud but i also hunt every year so it will see backwoods roads i wouldnt really consider them trails but......well i was gonna go with a d44 out of a old wagoneer this is what i was refferd to by my local 4x4 shop but then i was told by mike that it owuld proably be best not to because it wouldnt hold up to anything bigger than 35's so im thinking now i will try to find a d60 and a rear end.....also the reason i was going with the d44 was because the 4x4 shop told me that the axles were the same length as the stock axles??? but anyways i was gonna go with a regular 4x4 tranny and t-case......although i did like how you set up yours:thumb:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Read read read all the info you can possibly read and then read some more. If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do

Dana 60 front
Dana 70 or GM 14 bolt rear
4.88 gears
some kind of traction aids (lockers or limited slips)
Hydraulic Assist Steering with Toyota box
either a divorce np205 t-case or a inchworm dual case with marlin crawler double row bearings
chevy leafs front
chevy 63" springs rear with shackle flip
Decent mud terrain tire
your choice wheels

And lots of extra money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read read read all the info you can possibly read and then read some more. If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do

Dana 60 front
Dana 70 or GM 14 bolt rear
4.88 gears
some kind of traction aids (lockers or limited slips)
Hydraulic Assist Steering with Toyota box
either a divorce np205 t-case or a inchworm dual case with marlin crawler double row bearings
chevy leafs front
chevy 63" springs rear with shackle flip
Decent mud terrain tire
your choice wheels

And lots of extra money.

so i just got back form a pretty big fire not gonna stay on long kinda wore out lol.....but a lil update im gonna call the 4x4 shop tomorrow and ask him why he suggested the d44 out of the wagoneer????? after talkin got everybody they sugested just to get the d60 which makes more since (i dont use my head sometimes and like i mentioned before im still really new at this but hopefully i will have more news this week and maybe a front end and rear:D

and thanks apimpdad for all the info i thinks that sounds lilke a really good setup and im gonna look more into the divorce transfer case and the marlin crawler.....i have already been looking around for a steering box out of a toy but no luck yet:confused: hopefully soon though now just to find that extra money were ever that maybe lol.....

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
so i just got back form a pretty big fire not gonna stay on long kinda wore out lol.....but a lil update im gonna call the 4x4 shop tomorrow and ask him why he suggested the d44 out of the wagoneer????? after talkin got everybody they sugested just to get the d60 which makes more since (i dont use my head sometimes and like i mentioned before im still really new at this but hopefully i will have more news this week and maybe a front end and rear:D

and thanks apimpdad for all the info i thinks that sounds lilke a really good setup and im gonna look more into the divorce transfer case and the marlin crawler.....i have already been looking around for a steering box out of a toy but no luck yet:confused: hopefully soon though now just to find that extra money were ever that maybe lol.....
You probably got the Waggy 44 suggestion because that's what people have used on Toyotas for a while, and people who aren't familiar with Tundras just think they're another tiny little Toyota truck with a three-hamster rice burner under the hood.

The d44, particularly the one from a Wagoneer, is too narrow anyway. A d60 will run around 69" wms-wms, that's more what you want.

The truck has a V8 that spools up awful fast and is more than enough to grenade the stock front end on stock wheels and tires. Find a d60, or set up a hybrid 609 with the Hi9 center, or put an alloy Super14 center in there, and run 35-spline shafts to strong knuckles. Don't mess around with narrow d44 stuff, it has no place under this truck.

You could run divorced, but by the time you have a stump grinder in front of the transfer case, the output will be sitting back anyway, and there are a lot of options already for putting a strong setup behind your Toyota transmission.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If you aren't planning on doing this anytime soon, (like within the next 4 months or so) I may be selling my dual t-cases in favor of something else. But it depends on when I get my sh!t together and when you end up pulling the trigger on yours. :D

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
D60 or something stronger than a standard 44. I started with standard 44 from a widetrack cherokee. About 67" WMS. It was a rare axle and spare axle shafts were hard to come by. After some issues with the welding, I upgraded to HP44. This is perfect for my set-up. I don't plan on going any bigger than 35's (although, i should be okay with 37's). My rig is a daily driver and is currently a weekend wheeler. At least when I can :D I originally was going to build it for extreme rock crawling and upgrade to D60 front and 14 bolt rear but, changes in life is taming my need for anyting too extreme.

Here's my set-up and it's just right for what I do. Ford High Pinion 44 front with lockright locker (looking to change to a detroit truetrac), 4.88 gears, Chevy steering knuckles, hubs, brakes, etc (this is to keep the 6 lug pattern). X-over steering with the option of hi-steer. Drop the tie rod to put less stress on the upper ball joints. Stock toy 4x4 steering box, 4" chevy blazer lift springs.

Rear, stock axle housing with 4.88's and a detroit locker. stock shafts, brakes, 63" chevy rear springs with drop shackles and custom leaf spring mounts.

On the list of projects, converting from ADD push button 4WD to manual shift 4WD.

If the wheelin' you plan on doing is anything similar to apimpdad's, my set-up is definitely on the lower sprectrum. As D67 stated, the waggy 44's is more common in the taco SAS projects. Our rigs is a bit wider and that axle is not going to work well. Unless you run 3" spacers. That's way too much.

To help save on cost, look at building the axles yourself. The welding/cutting is pretty much the only thing I needed for my rig. I've learned, over time, to install/set my own gears in my axles. That right there saves about $200 each time....

Take your time on the build and don't be rushed/pressured into something you don't want/need. If you can gather parts now and start building the axle then, when you are ready, the process will be a lot faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts