Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the SOS rear disc brake conversion on their Tundra? If so, I have a few questions for you.

Thanks!

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
jjc said:
Is anyone running the SOS rear disc brake conversion on their Tundra? If so, I have a few questions for you.

Thanks!
oh come on jjc, you know you would rather do that rear steer conversion off the gm trucks and get rear disk that way... or better yet why not do the full hydrolic rear steer like the monster trucks have :devil:

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
DevinSixtySeven said:
...i think i just threw up my spleen, laughing at your typo :eek: :D :clown:...

-sean
I am glad you caught that... :eek:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Yes, I have the rear disc conversion kit. The kit seems alright so far after nearly a year but I have serious issues concerning the quality of products from SOS and their support, that's a much longer post than I have time for right now.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike McKinney said:
Yes, I have the rear disc conversion kit. The kit seems alright so far after nearly a year but I have serious issues concerning the quality of products from SOS and their support, that's a much longer post than I have time for right now.
Are you running the emergency brake option? If so, does your factory brake cables run over your rear leafs or under? People are having problems with the Front Range kit because with thicker than stock rear leafs the e-brake cables are dragging over the top of the springs. Also, do you notice any greater stopping capabilities with the rear disc installed - my main objective is durability with off road debris, but extra stopping power is always welcome ;) ? I am afraid that I will be forced to use SOS replacement calipers and pads in the future, but they say I can get the pads at a local auto parts store.

:ts:

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Ford calipers

jjc said:
I am afraid that I will be forced to use SOS replacement calipers and pads in the future, but they say I can get the pads at a local auto parts store.

:ts:
Jon...

I sorta/kinda looked into this a while back and semi-recall that SOS is using remanufactured Ford calipers (have no idea from what model) as well as brake discs designed for those calipers. So I would presume you should be able to go to Autozone, etc. and just buy pads for the applicable Ford disc brake. Call SOS for confirmation and exact Ford caliper part numbers though...my memory on this is pretty hazy.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RockyMtnRay said:
Jon...

I sorta/kinda looked into this a while back and semi-recall that SOS is using remanufactured Ford calipers (have no idea from what model) as well as brake discs designed for those calipers. So I would presume you should be able to go to Autozone, etc. and just buy pads for the applicable Ford disc brake. Call SOS for confirmation and exact Ford caliper part numbers though...my memory on this is pretty hazy.
Thanks, I got a response back from SOS that said I can get replacement brake pads at any local auto parts store, which must mean that the calipers are also readily available. Now the big question is the e-brake set up.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Probably

jjc said:
Thanks, I got a response back from SOS that said I can get replacement brake pads at any local auto parts store, which must mean that the calipers are also readily available. Now the big question is the e-brake set up.
My guess is "yes". Their conversion kit webpage states " Parking Brake Cable Kit Included". I believe there are federal highway transportation safety rules/regs that require all vehicles to have a parking brake functionality and would be inclined to believe that SOS wouldn't sell a product that didn't have at least a minimal e-brake/parking brake capability. From the pic on the kit webpage, it doesn't look as if the discs have an included e-brake drum so I would surmise the parking brake cable causes a mechanical actuation of the pads against the disk. The calipers look quite a bit more complicated in the picture than a normal front brake caliper.

Again, this is something you need to clarify with SOS. At $900 for the kit, they oughta be willing to answer a few phone calls. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike McKinney said:
Well, I am hoping for my sake that any bad customer service issues have since been corrected. I ordered the 12" rotor kit with parking brake, powder-coated rotors, and the new upgraded calipers. I can say that Tom at SOS has been extremely responsive, imformative, and patient with all of my questions and has made me feel pretty confident in my investment.

Now all I have to do is install the rear disc brake conversion kit, new Flow Master muffler, custom tail pipe, steering box, hydraulic ram, build my steering pressure lines for my ram, have the LineX touched up in the bed, and hope it all stays together for the annual Trailfest event coming up in 10 days at Windrock :rolleyes: .

Hey Wylcat - I'll remember all of this abuse your giving me someday when you are hacking up your truck and need some opinions :devil: ! We all know that your gonna be SAS #8, so get out of denial and accept it - oh yeah, and go ahead and put $150 in my Paypal account for this beautiful spare Dana 44 housing that I got for you so I can get it out of my shop ;) .

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
jjc said:
Hey Wylcat - I'll remember all of this abuse your giving me someday when you are hacking up your truck and need some opinions :devil: ! We all know that your gonna be SAS #8, so get out of denial and accept it - oh yeah, and go ahead and put $150 in my Paypal account for this beautiful spare Dana 44 housing that I got for you so I can get it out of my shop ;) .
aww come on man...I'm not abusing, I'm actually just jellous. no seriously tho, I am holding out to see if the diesel option will be available on the HD if and when it comes out. if not then I plan on converting to propane and building the hell out of my current tundra.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike McKinney said:

I have had the opposite experience with the SOS guys so far, Tom has been extremely helpful and has given me top notch customer service and tech support. The quality of this brake kit is also very impressive.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
jjc said:
I have had the opposite experience with the SOS guys so far, Tom has been extremely helpful and has given me top notch customer service and tech support. The quality of this brake kit is also very impressive.
Well, without opening up a can of worms, my background with Tom and Doug goes back to when they were just getting started. I've been to their shop many times (too many), and will agree that they are very nice people. I've spent thousands of dollars on their parts and services, but when I finally had a problem with a custom header and exhaust install they performed, I got the major run-around. Basically after numerous trips back to their shop, leaving my truck there for weeks at a time, they never fixed my problem, I ended up going somewhere else who found the problem and fixed it easily. Tom and Doug never once went out of their way to respond to me despite my past relations with them (and money spent). To this very day, months after my last contact with them, they haven't once called or emailed me to inquire into whether my truck is fixed!! That's the short version without letting my true emotions get in the way.

Let me just say that Tom is a business man first and foremost. From the problems I encountered, I learned to doubt their "expertise" and customer service. I will honestly say that they seem committed to their products, but I'm very leary now of their development and extent of knowledge. I also haven't had any difficulties with any other products but most of these are based upon existing components, i.e. Ford brake calipers and shackles, it's the "SOS designed and built" products I'd be concerned with. My purpose isn't to slander them, just to tell folks on here that "buyer beware". Bottom line is the brake kit seems to work fine but I'm not sure it's worth the money, if you want better braking performance put your money in a front big brake kit instead.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike McKinney said:
Bottom line is the brake kit seems to work fine but I'm not sure it's worth the money, if you want better braking performance put your money in a front big brake kit instead.
I am not doubting that you may have had problems, just giving everyone a quick take on my experience with SOS so far, which has been good. As far as better braking performance, my sole reason for going with rear disc is because drum brakes simply do not hold up well off road where I play (lots of water and mud :rolleyes: ) and disc brakes tend to handle the bad elements better and are proven to be more durable. Anyways, I have already got the highest performance braking system available on my Tundra....the kit is called Chevy ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick follow-up: The SOS rear brake kit works extremely good and is a well designed kit. The instruction book could have had a little more to it, but is pretty good overall. FYI - I did gain stopping power, this may be due to the fact that I run an adjustable Wilwood rear proportioning valve so I can shift the braking bias to make these dudes work a little. The E-brake works great and they performed really well offroad also :tu: .

·
Registered
152 Posts
jjc said:
Quick follow-up: The SOS rear brake kit works extremely good and is a well designed kit. The instruction book could have had a little more to it, but is pretty good overall. FYI - I did gain stopping power, this may be due to the fact that I run an adjustable Wilwood rear proportioning valve so I can shift the braking bias to make these dudes work a little. The E-brake works great and they performed really well offroad also :tu: .

Do you have any photos of the conversion kit installed? Im curious about upgrading my tundra. thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone who is reading this thread as an info gathering source. The kits now use all sequoia hardware and components, other than the conversion brackets of course. The calipers are reman NAPA's. If you prefer, you can just order the mounting brackets from SOS and order all the Sequoia gear from another supplier. That being said, SOS actually has really good prices on the Sequoia parts, so I doubt you'd be saving anything by ordering elsewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts