Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple examples of sound deadening like Damplifier which call for removing the door panels moisture barrier and applying the Damplifier to the interior surface of the outer door sheet metal. My question is wouldn't that mean the water which comes into the door panel via the window openings flow down over the damping material? If that is not a problem, shouldn't the moisture barrier be reinstalled to prevent dampness from entering the inner door panel?

I read the "psycho" installation thread, and while that is a great job, I just want to reduce the road noise -- specifically the white noise from the tires on grooved concrete and exposed aggregate asphalt and the tire slap from expansion plates and lane markers. Can you get decent results by applying tiles or patches of Damplifier to the metal while testing for resonance by tapping and then covering all of the surfaces with liner?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Damplifer Pro is a vibration dampener, it will help in toning down the road noise. But for killing road noise you can follow it with a layer of mass loaded vinyl like Luxury Liner Pro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about handling water in the door panel? I can see the Damplifier Pro might not be effected by water, but I saw videos showing foam (I believe it was Overkill) being applied inside the door cavity. Wouldn't that retain water? I haven't taken one apart yet, but I understand the door consists of the outer panel, the inner sheetmetal panel with openings in it and the inner plastic door panel. Did I miss one?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My Dynamat/Damp Po has been in my doors for about 2 years now and everything is still just fine. I believe the closed cell foams and mass loaded vinyl are water resistant and mold and mildew resistant as well.

Your best bet would be to call Ant from Second Skin, he'd have exact answers for you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What about handling water in the door panel? I can see the Damplifier Pro might not be effected by water, but I saw videos showing foam (I believe it was Overkill) being applied inside the door cavity. Wouldn't that retain water? I haven't taken one apart yet, but I understand the door consists of the outer panel, the inner sheetmetal panel with openings in it and the inner plastic door panel. Did I miss one?
The adhesive sheets of Damplifier type products are not affected by water, so they are perfect for sealing the door where the original moisture barrier was installed. And they have the added benefit of reducing vibration also.

Overkill products are CLOSED CELL foam, so they will not retain moisture. They are also mold resistant.

Can you get decent results by applying tiles or patches of Damplifier to the metal while testing for resonance by tapping and then covering all of the surfaces with liner?
Yes. The most effective use of dampening for your money consists of a Damplifier product and a layer of Luxury Liner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts