Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this all started after I had my custom center exit exhaust installed. Even after a muffler and two straight through resonators, the sound inside the car under acceleration is still a little too loud for my tastes. However, the exhaust note outside the car is just right!

I realized how little sound deadening there is in a Yaris. I started researching various sound deadening materials and due to price, quality and quantity I ended up buying some RAAMmat and Ensolite from RAAMaudio. Rick the owner is a real cool dude. :tu:

Here is my log of the work done to date. I’ve been posting up over on Yaris World, but wanted to share this project over here on Tundra Solutions too. So grab a cold one and a snack, you may be here a while! :D

Before I started, I wanted to quasi 'scientifically' document the difference of my sound deadening efforts. I bought a small digital decibel meter and took some readings inside the car under full acceleration with the windows up and the radio off. I was a little surprised by the readings! See pictures below for more info.

I’m starting in the trunk and working my way forward. To begin, I pulled all the plastic panels from the trunk, trunk mat, spare tire, etc. It all came out quite easily. Then I wiped the metal surfaces down with rubbing alcohol. My sound deadener of choice is from RAAMaudio. More specifically, RAAMmat BXT II. It comes in 15” x 15” squares with soft foil on one side and a peel and stick adhesive on the other. This product is VERY easy to use and does not cut you. I can cut it with a pair of scissor I keep in the garage. I use the left over backing as template material for those oddly shaped spaces. I also bought 9 square feet of Ensolite foam that is also peel and stick. At the moment, I plan on using the Ensolite in the door panels when I get to them. I realize now that I probably don’t have enough.

At this point I have completely deadened the truck and trunk lid. I’ve removed the rear seat and subframe and the plastic parts that cover the wheel wells. I removed the rear speaker deck and the plastic pieces along the back of the rear seat. I would like to stuff some kind of foam up the “C” pillars.

I figured while I was tearing into my car, now would be a good time to upgrade the speakers. After a bunch of quick research on Crutchfield I found speakers that I like and were given high marks by previous buyers. I was pretty much ready to buy from Crutchfield when someone pointed me to to Sonic Electronix. The rear speakers were $60 LESS then Crutchfield. So that’s were my money went. For the rears I ordered up a pair of Alpine SPR-69C for $99.99 . For the fronts I agonized whether to go with a straight replacement or get a pair with separate tweeters. Separates mean that I will need to cut the door panels. The separate tweeters won out in the end. I ordered a pair of Kicker KS60.2's for $109.99. EDIT: I just noticed that my link now shows a price of $199.99!!! I guess I got lucky with the $109.99 price. :cool:

Here’s some pics of my project.

Getting started: RAAMmat, Ensolite foam (both are peal and stick) with a digital decibel meter.

Closeup view of the mini decibel meter.

Taped to the rear seat to get a baseline sound reading.

Highest sound I recorded in the cabin, 84.7 db! :eek:

Removal of the trunk "stuff". When was the last time you checked the air pressure in your spare? :D

Rear "stuff" removed and the metal surface wiped down with rubbing alcohol.

Partially done trunk. Right hand side.

I used the leftover backing for template material.

Figured out an easier way to remove those, those, pluggy, clippy things. A ziptie fits through the head and now you can pull them out with out prying the head off or damaging them.

RAAMmat in the trunk lid. I’ll make sure to deaden the license plate and frame too.

Trunk and deck lid about 95% done at this point.

Pretty much done with the trunk. This is the drivers side. I may have to put some foam over the vent to dampen the sound, but still allow air movement.

Trunk, passenger side.

Inside the car, facing the left rear corner, taking the picture from behind the passenger side front seat. I've finally uncovered the wheel wells!

Rear seat, subframe and wheel well panels removed. You can see where I stopped from the trunk.

Now I can pretty much work up to the back of the front seats after lifiting up the carpet.

Inside the car looking towards the trunk. The rear deck topper and the factory sound deadener is flopped over on the right laying in the trunk. Kind of hard to get the depth perspective in this picture.

From the front seats looking toward the back. You can see the left wheel well that I want to deaden too.

A semi-closeup of the rear deck minus the deck material, etc. The speakers are reflecting in the rear window. All of that bare metal I want to deaden.

Should be interesting to get another db reading after I'm done. I may take some other readings, like before and after doing the doors. I’ll post up as I go.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next phase...

I removed the stock rear speakers without damaging the rear window tint. I also popped out the rear "C" pillar covers as I want to get some sound deadening material up there too. And took the new speakers out of the boxes. Here's some pics:

Alpine Type R rear speakers. Ya baby!

Kicker door speakers with passive crossover and tweeters.

Left rear "C" pillar panel removed. Both rear speakers removed.

Right rear "C" pillar panel removed. Notice the stock speaker sitting there...where's the magnet?!? Ohhhh! There it is! Look really close..!

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Playing catch up with my posts...

Deadened the right wheel well (just behind the white bottle of rubbing alcohol) and just about all of the rear deck. Next will be the drivers side rear wheel well, the floor under the rear seat and up to the back of the front seats, then I think I can install the rear speakers and put the back 1/2 of the car together again so I can drive it. After that, I think I will work on one door at a time. In the upper left corner of the picture you can see some wire and connectors. To much of a pain in the a$$ to deaden right there, so I put the RAAMmat on the inside of the 'C' panel plastic piece instead. Should work fine. One of my neighbors kids came by for a look and said "that's cool!". Made my night. :smile:

Here's just one pic of my efforts.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More catch up...

Well I realized that I overlooked getting some kind of speaker adapter to mount my new speakers in. :rolleyes: So after some internet searching I found Car Speaker Adapters.com I found a set for the rear 6x9's and for the fronts too. They have already shipped via USPS, so hopefully by the middle of next week I'll have them. In the meantime, I'll continue with sound deadening, so by the time they arrive I should be ready to put the back 1/2 of the car together again.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still more...

Spent a couple of more hours on it the other night. Kind of reached a milestone, at least for me anyway. I have almost reached the start of the carpet at the base of the rear seat. I'm almost done with RAAMmat for this 'phase'. Just a few more wide strips to get to the carpet. I plan on putting some Ensolite on the wheel wells to further reduce tire noise at those points. I may put some up on the "C" pillars too since that's about ear level with rear passengers.

Here's few pics from those efforts.

98% done with rear as far as RAAMmat is concerned. I'm pretty well protected from aliens reading my brain waves, as long as I'm in the trunk. :p Oh, at the very back you can see bare metal. At the point in the trunk, it's double-walled and putting the RAAMmat there wouldn't really accomplish much. Maybe I'll do a strip of Ensolite there instead.

Looks like a giant Jiffy Pop popcorn container!

Several places I deadend the "C" pillar panels since there was stuff in the way on the body of the car. Hey! I just noticed I'm missing a triangle piece on the left one. And the one on the right is missing a small piece too! I'll have to fix that.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And some more of the project...

I ordered my speaker adapters on Friday night last week and they arrived on Monday! All the way from PA! Holy smokes! All the way across the country in 3 days via USPS! That rocks! I spent some more time doing the Ensolite, then fitted the adapters to the rear 6x9's and it's a perfect fit! This pic was before I mounted them so they are just sitting on top of the speaker. Even the tiny pre-drilled holes lined up perfectly. Now I need to wire up the new speakers and then I think I can start putting the back 1/2 of car together again.

If you need speaker adapters, I would HIGHLY recommend car-speaker-adapters.com. :tu:

Speaker adapters:

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just about caught up to current status...

Put some more time into the car. Finished installing the rear speakers and actually put the entire trunk, rear deck and 'C' pillars back in, plus some plastic body panels that go over the rear wheel wells. The back seat is still out as I have some more deadening to do underneath and in front of the back seat. The rear speakers sound great! But I'm still toying with getting an amp before the backseat goes in. Before I get too much further I may buy some higher quality speaker wire and pre-run it before I cover everything up again. That will make it pretty much plug-and-play without having to remove a bunch of plastic panels again.

Deadened the license plate and inside the frame with scraps of RAAMmat and Ensolite. Don't throw your scraps away!

Put some extra Ensolite on the back of the plate where it may touch the car during EXTREME base. :D

Reassabled the trunk area after installing the rear speakers. The new ones sound great! The black stuff under the seatbelts is the Ensolite on top of the RAAMMat.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And now I'm caught up! This is today's status:

I decided to get an amp, an amp wiring kit and a line output converter. Since I'm already 'into' the car, I might as well do it right! I am staying with the stock head unit since I like it's integrated style in the dash. With the new speakers, amp and sound deadening, I should have a pretty decent sounding system! The next phase will be to complete the sound deadening to the back of the front seats so I can get the rear seat in again. Then I will start working on deadening the doors. The RAAMAudio web site has a great 'how to' section with pictures on how he did the doors of a car. I may not go quite as extreme, but we'll see! I did order more RAAMmat and Ensolite so I should have enough for the doors and hopefully the floor and up into the firewall. I may have to be more selective on where I put it. Doing the doors will really help reduce outside noise. It's rather time consuming, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Amp: Eclipse EA4200, free shipping, no sales tax (already shipped) for $129.99 from Crutchfield. Sonic Electronix wanted $209.99 and it's out of stock and backordered on their site.

Amp wiring kit: Earthquake Sound AK-3000, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic for $29.99.

Line output converter: PAC SOEM-4, free shipping (already shipped), paid CA sales tax from Sonic. Listed at $32.99 but had a make offer button. I clicked it and submitted an offer of $25. It countered with $26 and I bought it! That savings more than covered my CA sales tax. :tu:

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The line output converter and the amp wiring kit arrived yesterday. The amp should arrive tomorrow. I've been chipping away at laying down the Ensolite on top of the RAAMmat the over the last several nights. I just about have it done up to the existing sound deadening on the floor of the passenger compartment. Once that is done, I'm turning my attention to the doors, front speakers, amp, etc. I'm leaving the rear seat out until I can run the speaker wires from the amp to the rear speakers since I have pretty good access on the passenger side. Since the jack is under the drivers seat, I think I will mount the amp under the passenger seat. By the way, the Alpines in the rear sound great even with only the power from the stock HU! I can hardly wait to wire up the fronts and the amp! :tu:

Here's two pictures of my progress in the back seat area:

Passenger floor, drivers side. I still need to lay some Ensolite on top of this small section of RAAMmat to finish up the rear seat area. Maybe another 15 minutes worth of work.

Passenger floor, passenger side. I have laid the Ensolite on top of the RAAMmat up to the existing sound deadening material on the floor. That white thing on the floor is some of the existing sound deadening.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Pretty insane dude. Keep us posted. And how much was the RAAMmat and Ensolite?

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man!

I got a wild hair and look what the heck happened!

The RAAMmat (BXT II peal and stick) is $100 for 37.5 sq. ft. I used a whole box of RAAMmat on the entire trunk (under the spare too), trunk lid, rear speaker deck (top and bottom), rear wheel wells, C pillars and below the rear seat. So far I've used maybe 1/2 of the initial 27 sq. ft. of Ensolite. I've only used it for the wheel wells and below the rear seat including where the passengers feet go. The Ensolite runs $18/yard with a three yard minimum for the peel and stick version. Both products are REALLY EASY to use!

I bought a 2nd box of BXT II peal and stick and just started to use it. I have another 27 sq. ft. of Ensolite waiting to be used. I'm going to deaden all four doors next, then see what I have left of the RAAMmat and Ensolite. Depending upon the amount leftover and what is leftover, I may continue with it up towards the front firewall. Not really sure at this point. I'll probably need to drive it and determine where it needs more deadening and go from there. Additionally, I've thought about deadening the roof as I'm 6'1" and my head is kind of close to the ceiling! Plus I may get some increased insulation value on those hot summer days.

All this deadening will provide a great "enclosure" for my sound system upgrade too! Once I'm all done, my Yaris will have a very solid 'feel' to it, more like a high-end Toyota or Lexus and less like a tin can on wheels. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ha ha, no more tin can Yaris! So why RAAMmat instead of the other stuff like Second Skin or Dynomat? Was it the price? There are people here who have used those others with good results so I'm trying to understand your reasoning as this is one of the top 3 mods on my list. I've got to choose one and I can't decide. Help!

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Price was a major factor, plus I was reading about folks that would have to wear gloves while working with the other products so as not to get cut by the aluminum foil edges. I don't recall if that applies to the ones you listed, but the RAAMmat states their foil is soft and won't cut. I can attest to that! Plus it's easy to cut with a regular pair of scissors. And, you don't need a roller to apply it. The peal and stick sounded like the best option for me and I cut it down to smaller sizes anyway. There are numerous compound curves and odd shapes, corners, etc. so smaller pieces work better. I overlap them and ended up using virtually all of the scraps. Just about zero waste. Anyway, I'm happy with my decision and I too was in information overload with all the different products on the market. Finally I just made a decision and moved forward with my project. No regrets! Rick over at RAAMat seems like a real nice guy and I've exchanged numerous e-mails with him over the past few weeks. I guess I like buying quality products from the 'little' guy too. That's my .02. :D

If you're not in a major hurry to get started, you could request samples from the various companies and see which one you like the best. Just a thought.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Eclipse amp arrives today! Knowing that I need to remove at least the passenger seat, I searched and found the size of the socket I needed for those seat bolts. It's a Torx or Star socket, size: E10. I picked one up from Autozone yesterday. Once the amp arrives, I think I have everything to complete the audio upgrade portion of the install. I do need to pick up some stiff screen or some other material to lay over the rather large opening in the door panels so I can deaden both "walls" of the doors, then seal 'em up with Ensolite. Now the only other thing I need is time. Where the heck can I get that?!? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Very insane indeed!

You're right. Rick @ RAMMAudio is super nice guy. I bought few stuffs from him.

So you car will be Lex-Yaris (Lexus Yaris)? :)

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very insane indeed!

You're right. Rick @ RAMMAudio is super nice guy. I bought few stuffs from him.

So you car will be Lex-Yaris (Lexus Yaris)? :)
Thanks! Since I re-badged it as a Vios, I guess it would be Lexios or perhaps a Vius? :clown: Naaaah. I'll stay with Vios. No one knows what the heck it is that way. :cool:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Lexios sounds cool... Vios sounds cool too. Anyone asked you... is this new Toyota model?

I debadged all emblems on my Tundra except the 5.7L and Toyota logo. People stare at my truck sometimes when I go shopping.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not specifically about a new model, more like "a Vios, huh? Haven't heard of that one before". Or from the side, asking if it's a Honda! :p It's amazing how dependent people are on the badges to tell them what it is. A 2nd gen Tundra without badges would leave some people scratching their heads for sure!

·
Registered
889 Posts
The Yaris and Corolla have the same engines? I like the look of the Yaris Sedan.

I used to have the Matrix... didn't like the road noise and didn't feel much power after I bought the 5.7L tundra. So we sold to my sis-in-law, we bought the 2010 Highlander V6 to replace the Matrix.

·
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine has a 1.5 liter, my wifes 09' Corolla is a 1.8. I've done a TRD cold air intake, header and custom exhaust. It's definitely peppier than stock! :tu: You mean you like the look of MY Yaris...errr Vios sedan. :devil:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts