Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the story in the Salt States with the Gen 1. I am curious though, how are the Southern trucks holding up with frames, etc.

Live or play near the ocean...any issues?
Have you done any protection work or cleanups?
Have you left it stock and it still looks good?

Just curious how our Southern bros are doing in CA, AZ, Texas, FL etc. Share some pics
on how you are doing. I wonder if Toyota missed the mark on protection or they spec'ed
the frames for sun and fun only.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I'm in Alabama. My truck was a two year old '02 from Georgia when I got it. I don't live near the ocean, but it goes to the coast about three times a year. It has zero, nada, no rust anywhere. I can still see factory chalk marks and UPC code stickers underneath when I crawl under it for oil changes. Not only is there no rust, but it doesn't leak or seep any fluid of any type. It's bone dry and clean underneath. I think she's a keeper!

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I'm in Alabama. My truck was a two year '02 old from Georgia when I got it. I don't live near the ocean, but it goes to the coast about three times a year. It has zero, nada, no rust anywhere. I can still see factory chalk marks and UPC code stickers underneath when I crawl under it for oil changes. Not only is there no rust, but it doesn't leak or seep any fluid of any type. It's bone dry and clean underneath. I think she's a keeper!
Same here, and I live very close to Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It has zero, nada, no rust anywhere. I can still see factory chalk marks and UPC code stickers underneath when I crawl under it for oil changes. Not only is there no rust, but it doesn't leak or seep any fluid of any type. It's bone dry and clean underneath. I think she's a keeper!
Ditto. I've had mine in MT for just over a year, but it came from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here, and I live very close to Gulf of Mexico.
What I was thinking that you guys are okay. Also reminds me of the locking fuel door on the early First Gens. In the Snow states a problem with freezing, but, the trucks in the warm weather are fine. Makes we wonder more about what the engineers were thinking..

·
Registered
335 Posts
What part of Mexico are you in? Check under some of those vehicles,
that should answer your question.

I have spent much time in Chihuahua, Saltillo and Monclova for business
and often thought of bringing one back.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Only sun and fun here!:D:tu: I'm about 10 mins from the bay and about 30mins from the ocean and no rust to be seen. Like bamafire said, I can still see the chalk marks from the assembly line. Only rust is inside the rear bumper where mud likes to collect!:mad::tu:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What part of Mexico are you in? Check under some of those vehicles, that should answer your question.

I have spent much time in Chihuahua, Saltillo and Monclova for business
and often thought of bringing one back.

<TUNDRA>
Nice. You know the area. I am in Central Mexico a little further south, near Zacatecas. We do not have Tundras here, but, we sure have Fords/Chevys that are 20-30 years old and they keep on ticking...

I expect Toyota somehow missed the detail about the snow states in the USA. Makes no sense why they would not do protection at Dana at the factory, even if it adds $200-$300 per truck.
If I was Toyota, I would add the protection, conduct the salt spray tests to determine life, and then promote their trucks have a 10 yr warranty on rust for frames. Seems to simple when you think about it. I know the issues with profit dollars, but, at some point you lose in the long run.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have a look at some of the semi trucks down there.
They would never pass any inspection.

I have to ask what you do JB that you get your winters
down there? 1 month in Saltillo and I am ready for home.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
my 06 cd spent the first three years of it's existence in southern florida. a great description of my truck was given by bamafire above.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I know this is the Gen 1 area, but i check all of the groups. My son's 99 Taco with a 130,000 miles has no rust and i kind of freaked after i read all of the post on the taco pages and checked his truck. No rust whatsovever and that is down here in Louisiana about 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm in Alabama. My truck was a two year old '02 from Georgia when I got it. I don't live near the ocean, but it goes to the coast about three times a year. It has zero, nada, no rust anywhere. I can still see factory chalk marks and UPC code stickers underneath when I crawl under it for oil changes. Not only is there no rust, but it doesn't leak or seep any fluid of any type. It's bone dry and clean underneath. I think she's a keeper!

Same here with my always Arkansas owned since new 06 Double Cab, the only thing remotely corroded on my truck is the battery hold down bracket. (for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I live in central Florida and have a 2000 Tundra. There is hardly any rust under my truck. I'm pretty sure it was garage kept for the first 9 years of its life though, so that may have something to do with it... :happy3d:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just one more indicator of how much climate really influences the longevity of our trucks. Wish I could say my truck was as clean as all yours.:(

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I live in AZ and have a home in NM...

It snow's in NM and not so much in AZ either way, besides the mud from off road, the frame on my 04 looks brand new with no rust..

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been quiet on this matter for a while now. My '02 has been driven on beach sand a zillion times, has spent every night of its life outside, parked a few hundred yards from salt water. I take fairly good care of it and spray lots of fresh water underneath after its been on the moist beach sand. I've owned it for seven years and there is practically no rust whatsoever. Makes me think that northern road salt is some really wicked stuff.
:beach:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have a look at some of the semi trucks down there.
They would never pass any inspection.

I have to ask what you do JB that you get your winters
down there? 1 month in Saltillo and I am ready for home.

<TUNDRA>
We have a different set of inspection rules...almost anything goes. Trust me.

I do not spend my winters here, I spend the whole year here! I have been on contract assignment since 2003 which is hard to believe. I visit home (New England) about 2 or 3 times per year. Every Spring visit brings another mod to the TOY!

Makes me think that northern road salt is some really wicked stuff.
:beach:
Nice to read our Southern bros are okay (Tundras). Simple enough, salt is the main issue, which brings me back to my original point, protect the frame at the factory. Snow and salt has been around for decades. Other makes do not have this problem, so, not sure why Toyota is not getting it for half the USA and Canada that lives in snow/salt for 4 or 5 months per year.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yes, you can see from the picture that there is a lot of surface rust, it isn't deep anywhere but there is quite a bit of surface rust. I bet I know the exact trip that set it off, I was driving through about 2 to 3 inches of slush following a truck throwing salt and chemical on the road driving through Salt Lake one winter. The truck surface rust isn't really changing that much but I think I will start to clean and put some POR15 over some of the areas this summer. The edge of the frame has most of the rust on my frame hitch that I added, it was a Surepull, nice hitch but it has quite a bit of surface rust but the steel is so much thicker and no flaking. I have a 20+ year old toyota PU and it has the same surface rust but it hasn't changed since it got covered with surface rust and I am not concerned. Living is Santa Barbara California is pretty far from the rust belt but I have driven through Salt Lake every winter on the way to Montana for the past 10 years.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts