Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I REALLY need to tame my unruly rear suspension. I have a nice-looking 3" lift in the rear, but under ANY kind of load (including my fiberglass cap) the handling is awful. After seeing a friend tow his 10,000 lb boat with his '03 Tundra equipped with Ride Rite bags, I decided to get a set to stiffen up the overly soft rear suspension.

I notice on his (completely stock) setup, with the bags inflated and no load, the rear sits at least about 2" higher than stock - perhaps even more like 3". But it looks like the bags are fully extended and would not allow for much (if any) droop.

Because I'd like to maintain some off-road capability for Baja dirt road navigation, I want to either use the spacers or the daystar cradles.

Any suggestions as to a preferred approach? The Daystar cradles would allow for free articulation of the rear suspension, but I worry about misalignment of the bag or junk getting caught in there (like mud or debris).

Thanks in advance

Brent

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was in the same place as you. I researched options for what seemed like a year, and the one factor that kept me from going with the bags is the off-road trade off. The Daystar cradle isn't made for our size bag, it's made for a smaller one. I emailed Daystar to ask about it and they told me while it might work they wouldn't warrant it if it caused any kind of failure.

I ended up going with Hellwig EZ-991's. Which claim to support an extra 2000#s. As part of my lift I also installed a single Toytec AAL which also helped but the ride was still pretty bad with the topper or any weight in the back. The Hellwig's fixed everything. They raised the rear slightly and stiffened it up so I didn't feel like I was bottoming out on every bump. I've since sold the topper and sometimes when I don't have my tools in the bed it's a little harsh but for 90% of the time its perfect.

Next step will be Alcan springs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There seem to be a LOT of 1Gen and 2Gen Tundras with them as well as Taco owners (which use a bag that is 1/2" larger in diameter). I also found this article: Firestone Issues Warning on use of Daystar Air Bag Cradles with Ride-Rite Air Bag Kits

Either way, I don't think a Hellwig spring is what I need/want - I already have a Deaver 3-leaf pack AND a single thick AAL from Wheeler's, so I don't have room for any more springs on the pack. :) I'm going to pull the trigger on the ride rites and the daystar cradles and report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts