Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here! I searched but couldn't find my specific answer.
Have a 06 DC XSP. It came with the Enkei wheels and 295/45R20 tires. Those were pretty much useless on a 4x4. I added a 1.5" leveling kit and put 285/55R20 Fuel Gripper A/T. Looks good.
Had a flat today and put spare on. Spare is a 245/70R16. Will it hurt anything to drive it like this? I know not forever but maybe 50 miles?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The 20 is almost 3 inches taller than the 16 and I cant say for sure thats a big deal but I would avoid using it for long distances. Putting them on the back means the rear diff has to compensate for different rotational speeds and I would think that would be a problem. Guessing if you put it on the front it would be ok as long as you didnt use 4wd like that.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 20 is almost 3 inches taller than the 16 and I cant say for sure thats a big deal but I would avoid using it for long distances. Putting them on the back means the rear diff has to compensate for different rotational speeds and I would think that would be a problem. Guessing if you put it on the front it would be ok as long as you didnt use 4wd like that.

Yea, I looked at that site too. I only have about 10 miles to drive it to the tire shop. You still think I should put it on the front? I could also just take the tire to the shop and put it back on myself.
I found someone parting out a 2005 tundra with 275/65R18 on it. That is only 0.2" smaller overall width. Do you think that would be ok to use as spare and if needed drive longer distances? It's hard to find these Enkei 20" stick wheels that Toyota put on these things.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Believe me, I am no expert on this so dont take my advice, or just remember it is just advice. If i was in your shoes and only had 10 miles i would probably do it to, but I would not drive it on the interstate. I am just thinking that your rear diff would be spinning like crazy trying to compensate for the 2 different sized tires so how long will it put up with that before it starts causing damage? Thats the question I dont have the answer to, thats why I would be cautious and keep the speeds down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I think I'll either put it on the front or take the rie to the shop another way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts