Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start another thread about this issue to gain more attention and feedback.

So over the weekend I decided to put my aftermarket spare tire in the spare tire compartment instead of keeping it in the trunk. My current tire size is 275/55/20 (31.9" diameter), slightly larger than stock (31.6"). And so the tire was able to fit in that area, however it is a little too close to the exhaust pipe that wraps around that area (I have the Borla catback dual side exhaust system). Check out the pics I uploaded. Should I be concerned about the fact that it may be too close to the pipe and could be a potential issue? The tire isn't touching the pipe, and both the tire and exhaust pipe are fairly secured so it's not like there is any movement. Is there anything that I can place inbetween that will protect the tire but also be heat resistant?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I think you will be okay. You do have free air back there to keep heat from building up to close to the tire. Unless you sit for extended time in idle, I do not think it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Its plenty fine. Your tires are rated to handle like 350+ degrees, and the air flow between the tire and exhaust will keep it below that. I tire gets much hotter from the friction it creates between it and the road.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have same condition with stock spare and Magnaflow exhaust. Has not caused any problems so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts