Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tundra SR5 extended cab with the 4.7 liter V8. It has 202k miles. I'm getting ready to change the plugs (no, this isn't the first time they've been changed) and I'd like some recommendations for which brand of plug to buy. There are so many choices and I'd like to get the best brand plug.
Ditto for the O2 sensors. The check engine light is on and the codes are for this sensor, both an upstream sensor and downstream sensor are identified. Thought I'd just replace all of them. I've read that you have to be careful with the cheaper O2 sensors, so I'm trying to avoid wasting money on junk. Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Never done it either but anytime I read on here about problems its the same thing, these trucks work best with Denso oem products. I also see guys on here buy off Amazon a lot because its a lot cheaper than going to the dealer.
And also read lots on here that your 02's are probably going to be rusted on there but lots of existing threads on how to do that as well.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra SR5 extended cab with the 4.7 liter V8. It has 202k miles. I'm getting ready to change the plugs (no, this isn't the first time they've been changed) and I'd like some recommendations for which brand of plug to buy. There are so many choices and I'd like to get the best brand plug.
Ditto for the O2 sensors. The check engine light is on and the codes are for this sensor, both an upstream sensor and downstream sensor are identified. Thought I'd just replace all of them. I've read that you have to be careful with the cheaper O2 sensors, so I'm trying to avoid wasting money on junk. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Denso 02 sensors from Rockauto and factory plugs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put denso plugs in and have been happy with them. I put a Bosch o2 sensor in and got less than 50,000 miles before it threw the same code. Haven’t replaced it again but it’ll be a denso next time. The other 3 have never thrown a code so I’m not very happy with the bosch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put denso plugs in and have been happy with them. I put a Bosch o2 sensor in and got less than 50,000 miles before it threw the same code. Haven’t replaced it again but it’ll be a denso next time. The other 3 have never thrown a code so I’m not very happy with the bosch.

I appreciate that info on the Bosch. I thought surely that would be good. I bought Denso plugs and will go ahead and get the Denso O2 sensors too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I appreciate that info on the Bosch. I thought surely that would be good. I bought Denso plugs and will go ahead and get the Denso O2 sensors too.
All good. I thought the same thing. Always had good luck with Bosch. But it makes sense that a Denso would be a better choice anyway so I should have gone with that

·
Registered
124 Posts
get denso not bosch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
German parts in a Toyota is just bad juju. Denso only if you have the choice and you will never have to do it twice. Be careful with the good deals on amazon also, there are counterfeit and gray market parts out there that may or may not work.
I bought Denso plugs and O2 sensors from Rock Auto. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts