Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.0L V6 1 GR-FE Engine, Two Wheel Drive, Access Cab 2006 Toyota Tundra.

I am attempting to change the sparks plugs and ran into a situation that I haven't seen before.

This is how I got to the spark plugs, I depressed or released tab and pulled off the electrial connector, next I removed the coil mounting bolt and pulled off the spark plug.

The Coil is about 3 1/4 inches long, that meas the spark plug in in a hole 3 inches deep. You cannot put your finger on it to get the plug in or out.

So what is the trick? What do you use yourself? Is there a special tool? What is the recommended way of getting the spark plug in or out?

Your thoughts are :welcome:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I changed many plugs in the past, but not one from the 4.0 V6. But I can't see it being that different than others. As the prior post stated, if you're using a "spark plug" socket, it should have a rubber grommet at the end that will catch the tip of the spark plugs.

Before doing it, just try it with one of the new spark plug you have and you'll see how it works. Good luck. Sure beats chaging out the plugs out of the V10 Ford that I used to have.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
On the V8 you just pull the coil mount bolts and do not unhook any wire going to the coil packs, you need to put electrical tape on your extension where the spark plug socket connects so they will not come apart! Both the spark plugs and the coil packs have a torque value and i strongly recommend using a torque wrench on both and (copper) anti- sleeze on the plugs which will affect your torque setting. I think i used 10ft Lbs wet torque on the plugs and 26 inch lbs on the coil pack bolts! You can find the manual that explains things better here! Toyota Tacoma/ 4Runner/ Tundra/ FJ Cruiser Factory Service Manual Page :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live down the street from you in Pearland. I have a 2006 with the V-6 engine. When I bought my spark plugs at Advanced Auto, the clerk suggested a special spark plug socket with a "magnetic" holder built in. It worked like a charm. The plug unscrewed and came right out. The nice part is that it held the new plug snuggly and it was a snap to install. I would also highly recommend that you smear a dab of anti-sieze on the new plug's threads. Since I had a prior bad experience stripping the threads on the head years ago, I always use a torque wrench and set to 15 lb-ft. Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts