Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have JBL 10 speaker syatem in 2005 Sequoia, and have lately heard a rumble in front dash, sounds like speaker, but I can't find any info if there is a speaker in-dash. There is no grill, anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hmm, I have the same system in mine.....I don't think there is a speaker in the dash, I could be wrong though as I haven't ever looked..

I think the only ones up front are the door speakers....?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Never seen a speaker in the dash? Don't think so....but you might have a squeaky dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know how this goes, answer one question and another follows? Rattle I was hearing in dash was being transferred from the driver's door speaker all the way to the dash, so alas, no dash speaker.

Now challenge is to get speaker grille off without bending cover too much with screwdriver (actually I already bent it some), so while I check on this forum for answer, anyone got the 411 on removing the grill without damaging it? It's been 20 years since I messed around with car steros, speakers, equalizers, etc back in the day. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sounds like you want to remove the speaker? You need to pull the door panel off to remove the grille (looks like it has tabs bent to hold it on from back), so to remove the speaker your best option is to remove the door panel. You may want to get a door panel removal tool to prevent damage...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
The door panel is quite easy to remove. It's in your best interest to get this $8 special tool. Ask the guys at a Auto Parts store and tell them its to remove a door panel. It's kind of looks like a wide flat head screw driver with a cutout in the middle. Okay, there are 3 screws and 2 plastic inserts that need to be removed before starting. The 2 plastic inserts are on the left edge of the door panel. It faces the door jam and can only be accessed with the door open. Push in the center of those inserts with a small screw driver then gently pry the insert out. The three screws that need to be removed are as follows:

#1 Top right of door panel(with drivers door open). Remove plastic cap with flathead screwdriver.

#2 Where the manual door lock is. There is a little cover in there that needs to be popped off. Remove screw underneath cap.

#3 Middle of door and has a plastic cap. Remove cap and you will see a Phillips head screw.

For me, I prefer the window down which makes it easier to remove and reinstall the panel. Gently slide the tool underneath the out part of the plastic door panel between the metal door and the panel itself. You'll have to keep moving the tool around and at the same time pulling the panel away from the door. It will take a little force but not too much. There are like 10 plastic grommets or plugs that are attached to the panel. Just keep moving the tool around and pulling away until the panel is somewhat loose and only attached at the window sill. Pull the whole panel up toward the window sill and it will come off. Once it is off you will still need to detach the 2 wire connectors. One is attached in the middle of the panel where the window and lock controls are, the other is attached near the lower part of the panel where the courtesy light is.

Be sure to remember to put all the grommets back on the panel before reinstalling and to have the window down. There is a metal lip on the panel that can only placed properly with the window down.

BTW, this is for the drivers side door panel. The passengers side would be reversed. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts