Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking at replacing my stock speakers on my '06 DC w/o JBL system. I already have the head unit replaced, but my stock speakers cant hold up the the abuse I put them through. I am looking at replacing them with 6.5" Polk db shallow mount speakers. They claim the be only 2" top mount depth, if this is the case do I need to mod anything to fit them properly? PLease let me know, Crutchfield has a good deal on them right now and I want your opinion before shelling out the cash. Here's a link to the site, all specs are included. Hopefully you can shed some light.

Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm not worried about making new holes. Thanks for the input, gonna buy these and I'll update the board on how they fit

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Not sure this is much help, since I have an '00 AC, and I installed a set of DB6501's, but I was able to mount them in the front doors, by using one of the adapter rings that came with them. The screw pattern was just a hair off from the stock mounting plate. I was able to line up the top hole, then start three new holes about 1/8" off from the stock holes...It's a bit of a tight fight with the door panels on...I may go back and dremel some of plastic off the inside of the door panels just to make sure the panel doesnt make contact with the face of the speaker...

I ended up using a pair of old Kappa's I had from my Tacoma, in the rear doors, but immediately blew the left one...The DB's sound MUCH better, so eventually I want to see if I can find some cheaply priced DB651s...

Unfortunately, for some reason, I didnt take pics of the DB's, but below is a pick of one of the rear Kappas....I was able to mount it the same as the DB's on the stock mount though...You can see the speaker mounted to the adpater, then the adapter mounted to the stock plate...If you look close, you can see where the top screw is slightly off to the right of the stock hole on the stock plate:

DSCN0550.jpg

Also, I just searched online, and you can find the db651's for $60-$70....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking at replacing my stock speakers on my '06 DC w/o JBL system. I already have the head unit replaced, but my stock speakers cant hold up the the abuse I put them through. I am looking at replacing them with 6.5" Polk db shallow mount speakers. They claim the be only 2" top mount depth, if this is the case do I need to mod anything to fit them properly? PLease let me know, Crutchfield has a good deal on them right now and I want your opinion before shelling out the cash. Here's a link to the site, all specs are included. Hopefully you can shed some light.

Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com
I have also been looking into replacing my door speakers, so I thought I would add some input.
First off be sure and check amazons prices for speakers they are cheaper than most.
Also wondering why you chose to do away with component speakers? I've narrowed my search down to Alpine SPR-60c component speakers or the Polk Audio DB6501 component speakers. Practically the same I think the alpines give a little more punch if an amp is added.

Best of luck with the install, ready to see some progress

·
Registered
94 Posts
But this is a coax system. Anyone know a component system which will fit?

This is my original speaker :(

DSC_1399.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe off beat here, but my stock speakers in my 04 tundra are shot. Not good from the start. Who, besides Toyota makes replacement speakers for my truck, without having to do any alterations?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Maybe off beat here, but my stock speakers in my 04 tundra are shot. Not good from the start. Who, besides Toyota makes replacement speakers for my truck, without having to do any alterations?
I got a set of pioneer 2 way that are 6.5s but they have a longer slot for the screws to rest on. All you need is some washers to help get a better grip on them. And then just use the plugs they give you with the new speakers and attach them to the old harness (you'll need to cut the connector off the truck unless you can find a male connector). That's what I did with mine on all 4 doors. They should fit without having to do anything else to make then fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Appi

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Go to crutchfield.com, and enter your vehicle and year. A slew of choices will pop up, and then, my advice is to take the highest rated speakers and search for them on ebay. You'll be able to find them brand new on ebay for at least 1/2 the retail cost. Another tip: buy last year's model. You'll save money because it's old inventory that people are trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 04 Ext Cab Tundra NON-JBL and I only want plug and play speakers. Are the fronts 6.5 or 6.75? Which fits better with minimal mods? Also, no clue what the rear size is... Any suggestions are appreciated--Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used the Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector to connect to the truck without having to cut the harness. I used Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5-Inch Full-Range 3-Way Coaxial Speaker and they fit well and sound way better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on new front speakers ... It's looking like I'm gonna end up with a Kicker component set, but do I get 6.5" or 6.75"? I know they both might fit, but what's stock? I'd prefer the bigger size if it will fit with the least modifications

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just get 6.75s. Most of them have mounting holes for 6.5s anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on new front speakers ... It's looking like I'm gonna end up with a Kicker component set, but do I get 6.5" or 6.75"? I know they both might fit, but what's stock? I'd prefer the bigger size if it will fit with the least modifications
Get 6.75. You can make them fit even if the holes don't line up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts