Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read somewhere a disscussion about how fast you can drive with lockers. The post said like 5 mph. Am I totaly wrong in thinking I saw this. This may have been a thread specific to rock crawling; I'm not sure. I want to install a lsd in my 4.0 v6 access cab for the loose stuff I my come across in the desert. However, I am surely not driving anywhere close to 5 mph. Can the air/electric lockers run at higher speeds offroad? I feel stupid even asaking, sorry.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You probably read that you shouldn't engage lockers over 5 mph but that isn’t a true statement but it is good advice. You can drive as fast as you want with the LSD and not worry about anything. As for lockers, I don't think you would ever want to run at high speed fully locked at all four corners, unless it was a straight-away course. With just the rear locked I wouldn't see much of a problem with running at high speed unless you were making hairpin turns, then the rear could get a little squirrelly making things interesting. Can't say for sure, as I've never run high speed locked in tight turns. Now lunchbox lockers are a different breed and I would think you could run high speed locked both front and rear without too much excitement.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The TRD Locker disengages at 5 mph. Most after market lockers can be left engaged at any speed. Limited slips are always engaged, most have a clutch that "limits slip." Lockers will provide much more traction as the split power to each wheel 50/50. If you are going to be doing much road driving go with a limited slip or a manual locker, such as ARB or TRD. An auto locker will engage itself as you go around turns while driving on streets cauzing the back end to hop (assuming it is a rear locker). Automatic lockers makes driving on wet roads difficult, near impossible on snow and ice coverd roads. A limited slip on the other hand will improve traction on wet or icy roads, but not improve traction as much off road as lcoker does. In the Rocks or on trails the TRD is a great locker because when you need it you shouldn't be going over 5 mph. On Sand or Mud on the other hand you will most likely be driving at speeds well above 5 mph as you need to keep momentum up. An ARB (manual) or a Detroit, Lock Rite, ect. (automatic) will provide great traction in mud or sand. A limited slip is good every where, not great off road and not terrible on road. The best in my oppinion is the ARB, but it is pricey as you will need an on board air compressors to activate it. I hope that helps... Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
A lot of race cars (circle track) run Detroit lockers at very high speeds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd say it depends.

If you don't plan on going slow or you plan on doing alot of transitioning from hard pack to soft pack I'd go with an LSD. The thing is that once you're into loose sand you don't really want to stop, so if you start to bog down an LSD will keep both wheels moving and help to keep your foward momentum until your out of sh*t.

If you live in a giant sand pit and/or you do plan on going slow I'd look into a locker... just make sure your rear axle is locked before you get into sh*t. In my experience engaging your locker after you've lost your momentum in sand is a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
go with a limited slip or a manual locker, such as ARB or TRD.

If I'm not mistaken, you can not "add" a Toyota e-locker to a non e-locker rear axle because the non e-locker third uses an 8.4" ring gear and the factory e-locker is more like an 8". I know the non e-locker third will not drop into an e-locker axle housing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can not "add" a Toyota e-locker to a non e-locker rear axle because the non e-locker third uses an 8.4" ring gear and the factory e-locker is more like an 8". I know the non e-locker third will not drop into an e-locker axle housing.

Whoops... I think you are right! I would go with the ARB

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I've only read one thread about integrating an toy e-locker third member to a non e-locker housing. There was a lot of work needed to make it work and was pretty much not worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I've only read one thread about integrating an toy e-locker third member to a non e-locker housing. There was a lot of work needed to make it work and was pretty much not worth it.
Imdone tried it. Jon's right, take a look at the 4x4wire article on Toyota differentials.

There's a mod ("gray wire mod"...search that) to ditch the speed limit on the e-locker. You'll find plenty of times you'll want the rear locked and be going a lot faster than 5mph.

FWIW the ARB in the factory open diff will be an overall stronger unit than the factory e-locker setup...by how much, maybe it doesn't matter, but it will be stronger...

-Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts