Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the elaborate and messy oil changes on these V8s, can some one come up with a kit to convert or add on a spin on oil filter? Or is there such an animal available?
My previous Tacoma was a breeze, right inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Still don't get how so many people have problems with this oil filter. The kit comes with a drain fitting to drain the filter bowl before you even unscrew it. I agree the 1GR is easier, but this isn't rocket science, nor is it messy.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I agree with the OP. I have done the changes since day one. Compare the old school spin on filter against the latest skid plate removal / internal filter design. Stopwatch both from the word "go". Of course the latter is not difficult in an absolute sense, but it does take substantially longer. I'll be getting the remote mount if it ever appears. :nod:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well judging by his "garage" , if his benz is like ours, the cartridge filter is friggin right on top and the easiest thing in the world to change. the dealers done even take the belly pan off the bottom, they just extract the oil from the top the way we do on our boat...

·
Registered
485 Posts
You know I don't mind the cartridge style filter, yeah it takes a little more time but it seems like a quality unit, the thing that I just dread is the constant removal and replacement of the skid plate.

I think when it gets warmer I will cut a big hole in the plate and then cut another circle of metal and have a slide in metal tab and one bolt to cover the hole between changes, I think its just a flat out time waster to remove , align and replace that damn thing all the time.

If it werent for the skid plate bolting and unbolting and aligning, I wouldnt even care a bit about the filter system we have because it does seem real secure, hell I would go so far as to say its almost fun to fiddle with.

Compare our systems to a spin on ... spin on's just seems really cheap and mickey mouse after having one of these.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yes I think the skid plate itself is the greater evil. :devil: The filter can be removed wholesale if you want, without doing that pipe press up and drain thing....just leave the bottom plug in place and unscrew the whole plastic piece. It gets pretty close to a spin on at that point, and it is shrouded nicely in front of the block to protect it without being too hard to get to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The V6s have a spin on filter on the front driver side of the engine. Changing it is super easy.

Toyota could have made it that easy on the V8s also.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
The V6s have a spin on filter on the front driver side of the engine. Changing it is super easy.

Toyota could have made it that easy on the V8s also.
the 4.7 V8 has a spin on traditional filter in the traditional location and its super easy too

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think when it gets warmer I will cut a big hole in the plate and then cut another circle of metal and have a slide in metal tab and one bolt to cover the hole between changes, .
Now that is a thought. Easily doable and may work.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Guess you all never owned a VW or had to change the oil on one...

Our Tundras are not the quickest or the easiest to change the oil in that I've owned, but not the worst either. I agree that there are more chances than normal for this to be a VERY messy oil change. But it can be done without spilling a drop on the driveway once you get the hang of it. Although I put the skid plate back on - it could be left off. I don't off-road and the roads around my part of the country are about as smooth and flat as I've seen. BTW, at least toyota gave us hooks to hang the plate on - some auto manufacturers are not as nice.

I wonder why there is no remote mount oil filter for the Tundra? There are several kits out there for Ford and Chevy (and I'm sure Dodge too). Market? I see alot of people ont hsi board with high mileage rigs, so extended drain intervals to them would be woth it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They could've, should've, but didn't've (is that a word?). When the remote kit shows up I'll be maybe the 3rd in line. Never be first with this sort of stuff. :cool:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Oooooooh, I'm dreaming...of a chrome, remote oil filter. :hail: ...on the top of the engine so I can change the filter in a flash. A chrome flash. :faint:

Sorry, I got a little too excited there. I think I need to change my undies. :eek:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even airplane engines have FAA approved STCd remote oil filter mods available with spin on filters. I do not even for a moment think that the FAA would approve of such mods if it was detrimental to an engine's performance or longevity. They have been in use for years. I have one on my airplane for years now.
I think some one with diecasting/CAD manufacturing capability ought to jump on it. The possibilities are enormous. $$.
Of course at a reasonable price. The Tundra is not a flying machine.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts