Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would one opt for spindles over springs on a 2/4" dropkit? How about off-camber tilt to the wheels-which route keeps em straight?Performance-any difference (cost is close to double on McGaughy's kit)...AND how about the rear;flip kit on a crewmax-any problems/downside?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Why would one opt for spindles over springs on a 2/4" dropkit? How about off-camber tilt to the wheels-which route keeps em straight?Performance-any difference (cost is close to double on McGaughy's kit)...AND how about the rear;flip kit on a crewmax-any problems/downside?
Spindle replacement keeps factory suspension and steering geometry intact. It rides the same and is easier to align. I am at full adjustment to get my camber even close to spec which leaves no room for caster adjustment. If I had the money, I would have done spindles instead. Somewhere it's mentioned that you have to buy the 2" drop springs before McGaughy's will sell you the spindles, but I'm not sure if that is, in fact, the case.

link...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/167954-mcgaughys-2-4-5-lowering-kit/

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
The best way to go is spindles. I wish I had done that from the beginning with mine. I had the ground force kit for about 5-6 months and did not like it. The rear spings sagged after a few months and were replaced by them but the ride was different after. took the leafs off and installed a flip kit from bellech and the rear ride was much improved. I chose the belltech flip kit because I did not have to cut anything off the axle to put it on. Then I had a nose high problem so I got the DJM from 3" arms. This gave me the factory ride up front with a 3" drop but a headache to align and does not work with the 2" springs at all. Over all the ride is way better with the arms and flip kit. A coil drop reduces the amount of travel you have on the lower control arm giving you a not so pleasant ride if you live in an area with bad roads with lots of big dips or any thing that makes the front suspension travel more than 1". A spindle and coil will work for a good ride but again there is a reduction in arm travel. I think my end results are much better for me at 3/4-5 but if I had to do it over I would use the McGaughys 4/6 kit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best way to go is spindles. I wish I had done that from the beginning with mine. I had the ground force kit for about 5-6 months and did not like it. The rear spings sagged after a few months and were replaced by them but the ride was different after. took the leafs off and installed a flip kit from bellech and the rear ride was much improved. I chose the belltech flip kit because I did not have to cut anything off the axle to put it on. Then I had a nose high problem so I got the DJM from 3" arms. This gave me the factory ride up front with a 3" drop but a headache to align and does not work with the 2" springs at all. Over all the ride is way better with the arms and flip kit. A coil drop reduces the amount of travel you have on the lower control arm giving you a not so pleasant ride if you live in an area with bad roads with lots of big dips or any thing that makes the front suspension travel more than 1". A spindle and coil will work for a good ride but again there is a reduction in arm travel. I think my end results are much better for me at 3/4-5 but if I had to do it over I would use the McGaughys 4/6 kit.
So Los, Im sorry if i sound confused, but I have followed your posts on lowering because I am in the same boat and cannot decide. Did you remove the front lowering springs and go back to stock springs with the DJM lower control arms? If so do you mind posting pics again so I can see how it looks height wise? I was going to go with the LCA's and Belltech flip kit in conjunction w/ the Belltech front struts which can be raised or lowered in 1/2" increments. Reason being is i figured i'd have to raise the nose a tad to get it to sit level. I'd like the spindle's but hear they wont sell them individually??Hope that doesnt sound confusing? One more quick question, any negatives to the belltech rear flip? I haul 2 dirtbikes and gear on a regular basis down graded dirt roads, just hoping its not bouncing off the bumpstops every little bounce? Thxs for any/all input!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I had to remove the lowered front coils and install the factory front coils to get the alignment in the adjustable range. Coils affect the angles more than people think and that was my issue with the combo LCA and 2" coils. Tha part is the LCA from DJM is not a simple install and align. The shop I went to had my truck for a total of 3 hrs to get it with in specs. The arms do fit just like DJM claims and they are alignable with out any extras (coils or struts) the rear flip kit bolts up perfect and is a really nice set up but if you put any kind of weight in the back it does ride on the stops more. I had a recent trip to Oregon with only luggage and a stroller in the bed and it was on the stops a lot. Air bags will help with that. I don't haul anything other than the family and few items here and there but if I did any type of real truck type hauling air bags would be very helpfull. I may try a different rear shock as the ones I have are REALLY soft and I can almost get the truck to bounce off the stops by stomping on the gas.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
^^Los..Hang tight bro..Airbagit will be coming out with an AirRide setup in case you did not see my thread on it. I posted on the other forums too for a donor Tundra for R&R, and they have a donor vehicle for a setup now. Hopefully this will not take forever as most new parts coming to the table do. Front will be Air Struts...Of course my whole intentions on this will to be also add a 4-link in the rear to actually be able to at least tuck my 22's all the way around. Not trying to lay frame, but always an option. :D

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
A bolt on four link would be awesome with built in bag perches. Front strut assemblies would also be nice. I am not looking to lay frame either but having the adjustability for front and rear would make things work and look better without having to add extra stuff to tow or use the bed. By the way did you ever try your front spring mod that you had mentioned before on another thread??

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
A bolt on four link would be awesome with built in bag perches. Front strut assemblies would also be nice. I am not looking to lay frame either but having the adjustability for front and rear would make things work and look better without having to add extra stuff to tow or use the bed. By the way did you ever try your front spring mod that you had mentioned before on another thread??
Yeppers that is basically what I am after..I have not gone through with it yet...Took some measurements, and that will put the lowest part of the frame at 3" off the ground. I'm all about being lower though, so we shall see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts