Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of things have started happening in our '03 Avalon LS, and I plan on taking it to the dealer for remedy, but I want to toss it out here and see if anyone has any insight, just for my own enlightenment.

First, the drivers side mirror got knocked off a while back, and we had it in for the fix; no problem. Now, a month or so back, the drivers side door stopped locking with the remote - have to manually lock it; and sometimes, when the car is sitting in the direct sun and gets hot on that side, it wont unlock, either.

Second, last week, the radio started resetting to default every time it is turned off, either with the dash control, or when the car is shut off; all programming just disappears; the radio still plays just fine, but we have to manually tune it; if we reset the program buttons, it all goes away when we shut down again.

There are no CELs, and no other indications of anything faulty. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your consideration.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bad electrical connection(s). They probably pulled off the door panel to fix the mirror, leaving a wiring harness connector not fully plugged in or a single wire pushed out of a connector. Heat makes plastic expand & contract when it cools, making an intermittent connection. You're loosing a 12v constant power source to the radio which maintains the programming memory. This could also be related to the mirror fix.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
FWIW: is really sounds like you have a ground fault condition somewhere.....this is gonna be hard to diagnose and find root cause...... if the car is no longer under any sort of extended warranty you should start looking at the ground connections (starting with the battery [-] terminal)..... otherwise, the dealership will own the car after they give ya the bill.....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, gents. I knew that the battery needed some attention, so I took care of that, and it seems to have cured the radio spooks. The door lock problem still persists, so I am going to take the bit in my teeth and tear into that door and see what I can see. You're right, taking it to the dealer is costy - and I ain't got much in the way of extra wampum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts