Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've only got 300 miles on my 08 Double Cab Tundra, but I'm already thinking that I want to upgrade the stock system. I haven't installed a system in over 6 years, and I see a lot of new brands out there. Yea, it's been over 6 years... I guess getting married, buying houses, and having kids takes priority? Anyway, I'll start by replacing the stock speakers and power em with an outboard amp. After that's done, I would like to add a single low profile sub under the rear passenger's seat. What I'm looking for is good, clean, sound - I want quality not SPL. I really don't care if my neighbors can hear me coming from blocks away, but I do want to hear the bass guitar AND the kick drum.... no mud! I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly rock. Finally, I do have a budget... like I said I've got a family! With that said, what brands should I be looking at? Any recommendations? Can i get away with a single amp? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You can easily get away with a single amp. Get a nice 4 channel amp and use channels 1 and 2 to power the front components and then bridge channels 3 and 4 to power a sub. Run the rear speakers off the head unit and youre all set. With quality speakers it should sound great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I personally like Alpine's PDX series and would look into the PDX-5. Pushes 75x4 to the front and rears plus 300 watts to a sub(s) for around $600. they are small and look great! never ran one but infinity has a 5 channel for $350 that pushes 50x4 plus 150 to the sub.

Ken

·
Registered
269 Posts
I personally like Alpine's PDX series and would look into the PDX-5. Pushes 75x4 to the front and rears plus 300 watts to a sub(s) for around $600. they are small and look great! never ran one but infinity has a 5 channel for $350 that pushes 50x4 plus 150 to the sub.

Ken
I second that, Alpine's amps are some of the best for the money as far as I'm concerned. You could definitely do a nice 5 channel or get away with a 4 channel like Jumbo suggested. If you're planning on replacing the stock HU, I would suggest letting the after market HU push your rear coaxials (I'm assuming you're going the coaxial route in the rear) and just use a good 4 channel amp for your fronts and sub.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the Alpine PDX5 pushing 2 Focal components, 2 Focal coaxils, and 2 JL subs. It is a great amp and a very small package for the power it has. It is smaller than the Fosgate 3001 mono amp I had in my last truck. It fits nicely under the drivers seat. Well worth the price. As far as speakers go, you get what you pay for. Good Luck.........

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like everyone agrees on the Alpine Amp. I assume it has built in crossovers? As far as speakers go, I'm finding that Focal, Diamond, and MB Quart are very popular in this forum. What about Boston, Orion, and Infinity? The last system I installed was entirely ESX, a german based car audio company. It doesn't look like they have dealers in the US anymore? Anyway, I think I'll go with 6.5" component system in the front. Should I try to get my hands on a set of sail panels that come with the stock JBL system to add tweeters, or go with a really good 3.5" replacement for the dash? Or both? I'll go with a 6.5" coax in the rear. I was thinking about a single 8" low profile sub for under the rear passenger seat.

I have the Alpine PDX5 pushing 2 Focal components, 2 Focal coaxils, and 2 JL subs.
What size JLs do you have? I assume they are under the rear seat?

·
Registered
681 Posts
What size JLs do you have? I assume they are under the rear seat?[/quote]

10" and yes they are under the rear seat.........I went with the w1's because of depth issues. They do not have booming bass for rap songs, but for metal, rock, etc... they sound very good and loud as he!!.........

·
Registered
681 Posts
Anyway, I think I'll go with 6.5" component system in the front. Should I try to get my hands on a set of sail panels that come with the stock JBL system to add tweeters, or go with a really good 3.5" replacement for the dash?

My shop made panels to put the tweets in the dash....I think it souds better than having them at your feet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you like the Polk Audio db series, Crutchfield has buy one get one half off. I just picked up the 6.5" component fronts and 5.25" components for the rear for less than $300. I know you dont need components in the rear, but for the same price as coax's, why not? My passengers want good sound too! :p

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it souds better than having them at your feet.
I think the stock JBL system has tweets in the sail panels (the small triangular panels located behind the side veiw mirrors) ?

On one of my early installs in a mustang, we put the tweets in the dash to replace the stock 3.5s and they sounded awesome... might try that again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone here ever try Dayton speakers? I've seen a bunch of good reviews for their reference series. I'm thinking of trying their RS150-4 in the front doors. Most reviews say the sound quality is as good as speakers twice the price. If I do this, I'll have to find a set of tweets and crossovers to compliment them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Anyone here ever try Dayton speakers? I've seen a bunch of good reviews for their reference series. I'm thinking of trying their RS150-4 in the front doors. Most reviews say the sound quality is as good as speakers twice the price. If I do this, I'll have to find a set of tweets and crossovers to compliment them. Any suggestions?

I went to Daytons website, (btw, never heard of them before) and it looks like they only make home a/v speakers. Searched around the web a bit more, and found out that ppl are putting them in cars. Sounds like a pain to have to get a tweet and xover to go with it. You would be better off getting a component set from a known car audio company. Just my opinion...................

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
As far as putting the tweeters in the dash, i'd probably stay away from that one. You want the tweeters to stay within 6" of the woofer most of the time. Now most times you cant do this in cars/trucks, so we compromise. I'd do the sail panel idea, that way at least the tweeters are on the same axis as the woofer. I've done woofers in the doors and tweeters in the dash, and while they work, they didnt sound near what a "normal" component setup sounds like.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What about Boston, Orion, and Infinity?
I'm running Boston Pro 60's in this truck powered by an Alpine F-550 (90w x 4). I put the tweeters in the sail panels after removing the factory JBL's. They sound very good, but the highs are a bit bright. I'm thinking of switching them out with some Focal's. I tested some Focal K2P's a few months back and they sounded amazing.

I'm not a big fan of putting tweeters where they will reflect off of glass, so I kept them in the sails and they sound great, but the closer to the mids the better.

I cut a 1 1/4" hole in my factory tweeter location and dropped in the Bostons'. Its a perfect fit.

·
Registered
513 Posts
yes I did. I used Dayton RS180-4 (if I remember correctly) 7" woofers on my previous setup (BMW e39). if you're looking for a good set of tweeters then look no further than LPG 25NFA (around $100). these are very popular among DIYers. I had that set up and it sounded phenomenal. RS series is great with very good middle. they just should be xover way below 3k Hz, and actually closer to 2k Hz. LPG 25NFA are extremely subtle and detailed. they are also small that makes them easy to install. their only requirement is that they should be xover quite high (when paire with rs series). they will get "spitty" below 3k, if you know what I mean. best if you can HP them at 4k Hz. I had them at 3.2 Hz (and very steep!!!)and they were still good. they were smoother when HP at 4k, but that would make too big of a gap in the middle because daytons were LP somwhere at 2.2-2.5k Hz (and at 6dB per octave) if I remember the numbers.

whatever your choice is, obviously you need xovers, either passive or active. I picked up one of the best car audio xovers ever made (from alpine SPX176a set) but ened running active 3-way set up using Alpine 9855. I bi-amped front components (Dayton rs180+LPG25NFA) using 4channel eD Nine.4 and used ed Nine.1 to power alpine type-R sub. everything sounded great.

if you like experimenting, try ribbon tweeters, like Aurum Cantus. I had G2Si (around $200 pair) and they were like a revelation to me). If you can only mount them somehow (they are BIG!) and still be on axis then you must give them a try. if you don't want to spend that much then go for planar BG Neo3, that is if you can find them somewhere. they are around $70 a pair and I promise you will love them! they also go very low so would make a great combo with rs daytons. they are on the bigger side (were to big to fit my bimmer) but way more shallow than AC G2si and there must be a way to fit them into Tundra. BG Neo3 (come in two verions, only slight difference) is worth giving it a try. very open and airy tweeter. if you like the sound of electrostatic speakers (like Martin Logan) then you have to hear them. just find a way to fit them somehow into the truck.

as with all the tweeters, all work is pointless if you're not on axis, but I'm sure you know that.

all in all, rs series is the best bang for the buck you can get. I haven't checked if they make any 6x9 rs woofers, bit if they do then I'm going to use them to build my own components instead of buying an overpriced 'ready" set.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I went to Daytons website, (btw, never heard of them before) and it looks like they only make home a/v speakers. Searched around the web a bit more, and found out that ppl are putting them in cars. Sounds like a pain to have to get a tweet and xover to go with it. You would be better off getting a component set from a known car audio company. Just my opinion...................
there are no home or car audio speakers. there are speakers with different impedance but that's not the same.

if you take drivers (that's what each speakers are called) from those "well know car audio companies" you will find that they use drivers made by someone else, the real manufacturers of speakers, like Vifa and others. these drivers are put together, xovers are designed and build, everything boxed, branded and labeled with your favourite company logo...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello-
Had the Daytons in an audi my wife drove. They were paired with Vifa tweets, all powered by Zapco. Unreal sound. Took some tuning, but was great. Try DIY mobile...the forums are really informative but it can turn into an obsession if ou are not careful, haha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a link to the Dayton's webpage for their reference series:
Dayton Audio - Dayton Loudspeaker - Loudspeaker Drivers - reference Series

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep the tweets in the sail panels. I've got some research to do before picking them. Looking at the graphs, I would cross the Dayton's at 2500. I would need a tweet that can reach down that far, or I would have to rely on the dash speakers to fill in the void. Will the dash speakers give bad imaging? Should they be eliminated, or should I plan on replacing them? I really like the sound of Morel's aluminum dome tweets, but I don't like the looks of them. I wish they had a typical "behind the grill" style. I'll look into the LPG 25NFA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
anything stock should be eliminated, including dash speakers. but I wouldn't introduce 3rd (mid) speaker instead. matching for tonal balance would be pita and the xover would be a bItch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts