Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 two-wheel drive tundra. In last few days while backing up I hear a loud squeaking noise that sounds much like someone jumping up and down on a old rusty mattress box spring. It seems related to something on the drive train as the frequency of the squeaking increases with speed but I am not exactly sure where the noise is coming from. I recently remember backing up a bit with the emergency brake engaged. Any clues? I saw some posts about the drum brakes being a plausible cause. Do i need to try replacing those?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I have an update that makes me think it isn't the brake pads. I am able to park on a hill and when I put the truck in neutral it rolls backwards with no noise. So to me it sounds like the drive train but what could be making that noise on the drive train?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Does it sound like a quick "click" sound? Mine does the same thing and its just the pads grabbing quicker in a different direction...perfectly normal when 99.9% of your braking is done in the forward direction. With mine, the pads are just tapping the calipers...nothing major

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Tundra from auction and when I back up it makes that the sound like when someone is turning over in a old creaky bed, kind of a cracking of metal / popping sound. I don't need to brake for it to happen. It only makes the sounds when I am accelerating as I backup.

I took it to the dealership and Had the Drivetrain rebuilt (u-joints included) and that fixed the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts