Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a squeaky clutch on my RAV4 that is driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure its coming from the clutch fork pivot, but I really don't know what that looks like and I can't get a good view into the area. I tried blowing it out a bit with compressed air--nothing. I tried some WD40 and it seemed to clear some gunk out of there so I can see better, but I obviously didn't get any where the squeak is because the sound didn't change even for a second.

What I really want to know is, where should I be putting some grease, and how much? I'm afraid if I slather a bunch in there, it could get on the clutch and still not fix the squeak and just make a mess that makes it harder to fix the squeak.

This is what it sounds like:

These are the best shots I could get:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My Tundra V-6 and both of my smaller Toyota PU's have done this over the years, just get over the sound and it will probably go away with time because spraying WD-40 is going to get you into trouble. It isn't going to cause a mechanical problem but will cause major physiological problems, I have been there. If you have to use something use high temp bearing grease and try and get it on the ball that the release fork pivots on, you can see it in the picture, use a Q-tip and put it in there, you won't be able to get to the ends of the forks. Make sure it isn't the slave cylinder because they will exhibit squeaking sounds before the seal goes bad and they fail.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally solved the squeak. I unbolted the slave cylinder, but left the fluid line connected. This allowed me to remove the push rod between the cylinder and the clutch fork. The rod had some wear marks at each end. I put some moly lube on each end.

I used a pry bar to move the clutch fork and sure enough, that was where the squeak was coming from, so I knew the slave cylinder was fine.

I tried to rub some moly grease onto the pivot for the clutch fork, but after reassembly it was only quiet for a second. I took it apart again, and this time with the slave cylinder out of the way, I was able to push the clutch fork over more to get some space between the fork and the pivot. Turns it there is a big recess in there, so rubbing grease in there was not going to accomplish anything.

I resorted to some liquid wrench lithium grease that shoots through a little straw. I had to use my digital camera to see around the edge and position the straw into the gap between the fork and the pivot as I held the clutch fork over to the side. (You really need 3 hands for this, but I managed). I got a few good sprays in there, confirmed by the camera pictures.

Reassembled again, and no squeak. I'm not sure how long the lithium grease will last compared to some good moly grease, but I can do all that now in about 20-30 minutes.

I can not live with squeaks, and believe me, when that clutch gets replaced, that fork and all else will get coated with some good moly lube.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I am glad you got it for now, but I am not sure how high temp the lithium grease is, the transmission pulls a lot of heat from the engine. High temp bearing grease is what you want to get in there next time, you put it on the back of break shoes and won't melt out. My squeak typically came back in the winter after some driving on really wet and cold roads but it would go away with time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad you got it for now, but I am not sure how high temp the lithium grease is, the transmission pulls a lot of heat from the engine. High temp bearing grease is what you want to get in there next time, you put it on the back of break shoes and won't melt out. My squeak typically came back in the winter after some driving on really wet and cold roads but it would go away with time.
Drop point of lithium grease is 350F+. If its that hot in there, I've got other problems. I think the bigger problem is dust from the clutch drying it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts