Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had belt noise on a an '07 Sequoia? I hope it is the belt and not a alternator bearing or something. I'm going to take it in sice it only has 3400 miles on it, but I'd thought I'd check to see if any of you had the same problems. I hope some spray belt junk fixes it, but you never know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good to hear. Thanks, JWB

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 2wd sequoia that had the same problem of squeaky belt noise about two weeks ago. i applied belt dressing on the belts and the noise became louder. After researching the internet on squeaky belts, I came to the conclusion that the belt was slightly slipping due to a sheen on the belt.

I went to my local home depot and bought some sand paper and slightly sanded the belt and the noise went away. I would think that was just a quick fix and would have to change the belt soon.

Anybody know how many miles before changing the belts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took mine in and they said they cleaned it. It sounded great all the way home. Next morning, back and louder. Piece of crap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tried the belt dressing too and what a joke! Seem to make it 10x worse. I would never use that stuff again. Just replace it. I did it myself, all it took was a crowbar to un-tension the belt tension pulley.

For noisy belts, I have been successful with applying a little basic bearing grease to my v-belts in my 84 CJ-7 to keep them quiet. It works wonders and absolutely no slipping.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
I took mine in and they said they cleaned it. It sounded great all the way home. Next morning, back and louder. Piece of crap.
Yeah they pulled that same crap with me we had to adjust belt was what they told me over phone.I'm thinking truck has 22,000 so much for toyota quality.So I get off work go to get it crank it up and as usual squealing like crazy so I go grab the manager hand him the keys and say crank it and tell me what it sounds like.He is like man that crap I say so go get me something to drive while your techs make a decision to change this belt and quit [email protected]@@ing around with my truck are trust me I will never buy another one from this place again.So they do long story short its probably a bad belt.Mine would only do it when engine was cold once up to operating temp it would go away.Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't read this post first and bought the belt spray and holy moly the sound did get 10 times worse! I figured it out though. It was that the spray stuff becomes extremely tacky then I am guessing as it leaves a pulley it makes the noise.

At any rate I bought a new belt for $36.99 and it poof it is all better. I needed a new belt anyways because I am right at 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
that squeeky noise is the belt slipping NEVER use that belt dressing stuff if the belt does not have much milage and are capable take it off and wash it with some soapy water real good let dry and reinstall. You will remove the glaze that is making it slip....

·
Registered
375 Posts
They replaced your belt under a recall? I work for Toyota and know nothing about a belt recall. Please fill me in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2001 Sequoia with 53k miles. Squeaky noise; sprayed belt dressing; got much worse; drove 200 miles; still just as bad.
I just bought a Goodyear "Gator" belt from Kragen for ~$33. The installation was not simple on a 2001 Sequoia due to the radiator hose and bottom engine protector plate removal to get the belt back on (lots of twists and turns, dropped wrench hence pan removal).
DO NOT USE A RATCHET TO LOOSEN IDLER PULLEY, YOU MIGHT GET IT STUCK LIKE I DID!) Use a socket and 12" breaker bar (if you have one with a hole in the end this is useful to tie off the bar under tension to install the new belt).
This fixed the noise problem completely but I was surprised! The old belt made the pulleys sound like the're bearings were screaming/rattling...but they were not a problem. I was assuming I would need to replace the idler and tension wheels to fix the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I replaced the original Dayco belt on the wife's '08 Sequoia (5.7L) with another Dayco (from PepBoys). The old belt worked fine, but it had numerous cracks on the inside 'rails'.

The new belt screamed like a girl at a boy band concert, for almost a minute when the engine was started cold. Then the belt quit howling until the next engine start. I tried soap, WD-40, angry glares; nothing worked.

I gave up and ordered a Gatorback from Amazon. I was a bit reluctant, but they are not available locally, and unfortunately the Goodyear belt is 'Hecho en Mexico.' But, I'd had great luck with the Gatorback v-belts in the past.

Took the Dayco off, put the Gatorback on, and it doesn't make a peep. And, the Gatorback was cheaper.

If you go to Amazon, you'll find the site recommends the 4080948. However, I found that some guy recommended the 4080945, which is the one I bought. After I went to the Goodyear site, and the '948 is not listed. The '945 actually installed easier than the Dayco screamer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
mine did that and it turned out my belt tensioner spring was worn out and it was causing my belt to slip and squeek and my belt was wearing really fast. I replaced it myself and it was pretty complicated. I had to take off my engine cover, left timing cover, alternator, power steering pump, and take off a coolant hose and drain all the coolant and my thermostat just to take off the tensioner, which of course all the bolts on it were on really tight and one was stripped. got the new one on and put on a new belt and it runs perfect and makes no noise. took lots of time but it was only like $45 total

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yea, same thing. Frozen belt tensioner. Replaced the idler pulley, since they were the same age. It was an involved job - several other components use the same bottom mounting bolt with the tensioner frame (stacked arrangement) - of course, these all have to come off to pull the tensioner, which is at the bottom of the pile. Once replaced, the belt was quiet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts