Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just started like sunday when i go in reverse i hear a churping/squeking for the rear of my truck. the faster i go the faster it gets it is funny but people look at me funny and i want it gone. IT ONLY HAPPENS IN REVERSE. thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Might be your rear shocks. There was a TSB on the bushing placement that corrected it. My 05' did that too...bugged the heck out of me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looked in to the TSB and could not find any thing on it. someone have any ideas on what the squeak is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
=dubktrd;1488271]Rear driveshalf ujoints
What he said.

I had the same symptoms a few months ago and it ended up being the rearmost u joint (just ahead of the rear diff). Just recently, I experienced the squeaking again. Turns out this time it was the frontmost u joint. Had that and the center joint replaced as well. Problem solved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It could be the brakes mine did the same exact things, i ended up washing them out good one time and it fixed it but your rear brakes could have gone bad

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2000 has 246,000 and it started doing that squeak. Then it turned into a bad shudder when on the gas. It turned out to be the Universal Joint on the rear drive shaft. The mechanic said if that busts loose you are gonna destroy the truck in the back with the shaft flailing around. It cost me 125.00 with labor and part. Runs like a champ again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 2000 has 246,000 and it started doing that squeak. Then it turned into a bad shudder when on the gas. It turned out to be the Universal Joint on the rear drive shaft. The mechanic said if that busts loose you are gonna destroy the truck in the back with the shaft flailing around. It cost me 125.00 with labor and part. Runs like a champ again.
Was that the original u joint with 246,000 miles? If so, how is it that i only got around 80,000 miles on my rear u joint? I do pull a trailer on occasion, but for the most part I don't drive it hard. At about 101,000 miles is when the front u joint started acting up as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 for U-Joint, had the exact same symptoms last month (cyclic squeeaking only in reverse, cycling noise goes faster as the tires turn faster), for me it was also the rear-most U-Joint, the needle bearings were completely dry and rusted in the inside. I recommend replacing all 3 while you are at it.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
+1 for U-Joint, had the exact same symptoms last month (cyclic squeeaking only in reverse, cycling noise goes faster as the tires turn faster), for me it was also the rear-most U-Joint, the needle bearings were completely dry and rusted in the inside. I recommend replacing all 3 while you are at it.
What he said. I just did this last week. It took me a little time to figure it out. It only squeeked in reverse and the u-joint didn't have any visable play. Get a light and look at it real good. You can probably see the rusty looking shaft on the cross. Rear u-joint. Get them from dealer for $60.00 each or from Napa or Oreily's for $16.00. Dealers will be sealed. Others have a grease zerk (which in my opinion is good). I used precision (made in USA) from NAPA.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry it took so long to get back in my computer would not let me sign in. but went by the dealer 2 weeks ago and had it fixed for free they said it was the u joint and that toyota dose not just replace the u joints they say it is a sealed u joint and they dont make the grease able u joints i called BS, and that it would cost $1000 for the drive shaft and that they dont replace u joints there. but the 50000 mile wornty covered it.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts