Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you I am trying to decide between SR5 and Limited 5.7 CM. I can option most of the stuff I want in the SR5 and still remain about $6k under the Limited (why, I have no idea) :confused: But the only option I really want that does not seem to be offered in the SR5 is leather. $6k for leather is hard to chew. Any ideas? Can dealers install leather? What is the quality? Just leather covers?? Or if I must have leather, do I need to suck it up and fork out the cash?

·
Registered
877 Posts
get your sales person to give it to you, at cost. $1000. that's what i did

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alot of dealers offer leather as an add-on for about $1000-$1200. I've been told their cost on that is about $500-$600. The cloth covers just zip right off and the leather covers zip right on as they are made vehicle specific. Alot of the time, the leather that's added on like this is better than what comes from the factory, so I hear.

A friend of mine has an car stereo/video & accessory business and gets the exact same leather that dealers get for $600. I had him check to see if they have it available for the '07 and he said they did.

You may be able to call some local auto customizing places to see if they do the leather & get a better price than the dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Alot of dealers offer leather as an add-on for about $1000-$1200. I've been told their cost on that is about $500-$600. The cloth covers just zip right off and the leather covers zip right on as they are made vehicle specific. Alot of the time, the leather that's added on like this is better than what comes from the factory, so I hear.

A friend of mine has an car stereo/video & accessory business and gets the exact same leather that dealers get for $600. I had him check to see if they have it available for the '07 and he said they did.

You may be able to call some local auto customizing places to see if they do the leather & get a better price than the dealer.

I would just save the money and go cloth. I've never been a fan of leather seats in any vehicle i've been in. It's always so hot/cold. I think things are all backwards, leather should be on lower trim vehicles and cloth on the higer end models. Leather is great for keeping clean but that's it imo. different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Interesting... So they are just covers? Do they fit snug to the seat like upostered the actual leather seats that are nice and firm?:cool: or do they slide around?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just save the money and go cloth. I've never been a fan of leather seats in any vehicle i've been in. It's always so hot/cold. I think things are all backwards, leather should be on lower trim vehicles and cloth on the higer end models. Leather is great for keeping clean but that's it imo. different strokes for different folks.

The SR5 I drove had the graphite cloth and to me it made the seats too soft and were actually kind of hot. The leather in the Limited were more comfortable. Plus, I have 3 kids so I would like to keep it as clean and stain free as possible. I guess I could always get a seat cover for the back.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The SR5 I drove had the graphite cloth and to me it made the seats too soft and were actually kind of hot. The leather in the Limited were more comfortable. Plus, I have 3 kids so I would like to keep it as clean and stain free as possible. I guess I could always get a seat cover for the back.

I forget to factor kids into the equation. If i had kids i would most definitely go for leather seats. I could see it now getting some ketchup on you're new cloth seats UHHH. Leather just wipe it off like it never happened. As far as seat covers go just look up KATZSKINS, they make some very nice custom seat covers, Most of the vehicles in the magazines have them as an upgrade for custom trucks. They usually run around 1200-1500 last time i checked. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do what you have to do to get leather. If the good Lord is willing, I will never own another vehicle without leather. They say the seats are cold in the winter. Unless you drive (in winter) naked or with shorts on...you'll never know the difference. I don't find that the seats are hot in the summer. However, if you wear shorts, your legs will sweat. But then again, they will sweat with leather or cloth. Years of sweat on cloth seats make them smell like rotten toe jam. Don't say you'll keep your cloth seats clean because after a few stains, you'll give up. In all seriousness, I think leather is the way to go. They last longer than cloth and add resale value to your vehicle. I have a 2005 SR5 DC and ordered it with port installed leather.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do what you have to do to get leather. If the good Lord is willing, I will never own another vehicle without leather. They say the seats are cold in the winter. Unless you drive (in winter) naked or with shorts on...you'll never know the difference. I don't find that the seats are hot in the summer. However, if you wear shorts, your legs will sweat. But then again, they will sweat with leather or cloth. Years of sweat on cloth seats make them smell like rotten toe jam. Don't say you'll keep your cloth seats clean because after a few stains, you'll give up. In all seriousness, I think leather is the way to go. They last longer than cloth and add resale value to your vehicle. I have a 2005 SR5 DC and ordered it with port installed leather.
My sentiments exactly! I believe the sticker was 1500.00 for port added leather. My stereo installer also is doing dealer added leather upgrades for buyers and charging 2000.00. He claims it is a little thicker, but said the OEM leather is of good quality. My dog sure loves the leather.:tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put leather on my 07 DC SR5; used the same aftermarket that i did for a Sequoia SR5: "Classic Soft Trim" (a Toyota oem supplier). Had the dealer add it into total cost; $1100.

Excellent product and as good or better than factory.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check out LeatherSeats.com. I have been talking with a sales guy named Eric. The web site does NOT show 07 Tundra as being available, but they do have them. The Premium package (leather seating surface on front AND back seats with matching vinyl every where else) is $799. Stock leather is usually leather on the fronts and leather only on the inserts in the back seats.

Here is an email from Eric:

"100% vinyl kit.................................$579.00
Self-Explanatory

Deluxe leather kit..........................$679.00
Front row has full leather seating surface with vinyl sides and backs
Second row has leather inserts only with remainder in matching vinyl

Premium leather kit......................$799.00
Front row has full leather seating surface with vinyl sides and backs
Second row also has full leather seating surface with matching vinyl sides

100% leather kit……..................$1079.00
Self-Explanatory

Two-toning can be added to any of the above interior packages for $30.00. The Deluxe kit is the best selling package that we have overall for this application followed closely by the Premium kit. We rarely sell the 100% leather or 100% vinyl packages, but they are there if you want to go that route. Typically the factory leather to matching vinyl ratio used in most vehicles is somewhere between our Deluxe and Premium packages and we feel that either of those two kits provide the most bang for your leather seat cover buying dollar. Let me know which kit you would be most interested in."

They also have an upgraded leather called Symphony which adds $129.

I will be ordering mine tomorrow. Only thing I am not sure of is installation. I may install my self rather than paying a local installer, not sure though.

First picture is the Symphony leather in a "stampede pattern". Second picture is their standard leather in the standard pattern. FYI, I got leather samples from them and the Light Grey matches the grey plastic pieces of the Graphite interior perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
TahowTexan, that looks awesome. I was leaning way more towards the Limited but know see the SR5 as a viable option for me. Thanks for that link.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just checked out that site and they dont have a listing for a 07 tundra

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hit_em, he mentions that in the post. And that they do have them available.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the 'added leather' on my new SR5 CrewMax and I love it. The quality is superb. I looked at the leather on Limiteds that comes from the factory, and I'll put the quality and workmanship of mine up against that any day. If you want the added leather, don't worry about quality. If you live in a cold climate and need the heated seats, you might consider the factory leather. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you get the invoice for your truck with the port added leather. I think I have almost been talked to getting leather, and I am curious what invoice is vs. msrp.

Thanks,

Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts