Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new Sequoia and just priced one out on carsdirect.com. A loaded SR5 was $3000 less than the Limited. Am I missing something? If this is a stupid question, I apologize.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought an SR5. I thought the same thing. Differences include: Power folding outside mirrors, different alloy wheels. JBL Radio and other minor stuff.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i had thought the same when i was buying. i opted for a fully loaded SR5 and have no regrets!! the only thing that i would've liked to have was the automatic folding mirrors, but that is probably the only thing that i wanted. very minor! :D IMO, get the SR5!! :cool: the money you save can go to your mods! ;)

btw, i didn't like the roof rack and the chrome accents on the LTD.

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
We saved several thousand dollars going w/ the SR5 and the money in the bank feels even better!! You get the same exact engine, so go w/ the SR5 your significant other won't mind the money you save unless $$$ isn't that big a deal!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
tiger said:
the money in the bank feels even better!!
yeah, especially if it goes to mods! :devil:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another SR5 buyer chiming in. I don't think anyone mentioned the leather door inserts in the Limited. I am having those put in by an aftermarket guy for $200.
Another difference is that you can get the rear spoiler on the Limited but not on the SR5. Of course, the obvious difference is the two tone paint versus monotone. If you get Silver Sky, this is not a discriminator.
And I don't know what they call the interior trim pieces that are kind of tortoise shell but neither my wife or I liked them at all. I'd like to put a wood trim kit in but the wife doesn't want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two tone paint?

Which model comes with two-tone paint - SR5 or Limited?

I'd like a White Sequoia, ALL White, without the two tone over the wheel wells. I'm going to order from the factory.

Thanks,

-Chris.

·
Registered
609 Posts
all white

all white = Limited model only.

two-tone = SR5 in silver for 2002. Who can be sure what will happen for 2003, eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A year ago I bought a SEQ SR5, fully loaded because we did not like the spoiler. The only difference was the folding mirror, fog lights, seat warmer and the spoiler. I still think we made the right move. I would have loved to get the folding mirror and the fog light, but hate the spoiler more that we liked the other two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ltd Owner here.

While all of the above may be true, an SR5 is still an SR5. You'll always get signficantly less for it at resale or trade time. If you plan on running it into the ground, this may be meaningless. If you plan to turn it over in 3 to 5 years, I'll get more and will have had the benfit of all of the extras over my period of ownership.

My .02

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
dankwiz said:
Ltd Owner here.

While all of the above may be true, an SR5 is still an SR5. You'll always get signficantly less for it at resale or trade time. If you plan on running it into the ground, this may be meaningless. If you plan to turn it over in 3 to 5 years, I'll get more and will have had the benfit of all of the extras over my period of ownership.

My .02
dankwiz - You make the SR5 sound like a bad thing. Not true. If I did it all over, I'd get the SR5 and add the options that I want, not what Toyota thinks I want. Resale and trade in value depend on how you treat your vehicle. Hope this helps those still considering.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now I'm confused.
John A - The spoiler is an option on the Limited and fog lights are an option on the SR5 (at least for 2002 MY, maybe it was different on the 2001s), so I don't really follow your reasoning.
Dankwiz - True because you paid more to start with. If you had gotten a Landcruiser, you'd get even more at resale time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
SR5!!!

Dude go w/ the SR5! You can go aftermarket and get most of the items you want unless you don't like messing w/ that kind of thing. I put the limited rims on my SR5 and bam I've basically got a limited minus the "bells and whistles" but add a few thousand $$$ for going w/ the SR5 and that makes practical sense to me. But hey if you want the limited go for it just don't get taken by the dealership! Hope you get what you want, keep it real!

Tiger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys, Guys, Guys, didn't mean to upset anybody and certainly didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with the SR5. For me, the Ltd is the better option because I don't want to jag around with a bunch of crap. Give it to me fully loaded with the work done (Could I have lived without the first aid kit though, LOL).

As respects trade/resale, of course it will be worth more because I paid more (exactly like your Land Cruiser example). Keep in mind though, at resale time, a dealer is going to look in his book (or a buyer in the newspaper) with a very objective eye. An SR5, even if accessorzed on an aftermarket basis as close as possible to a Ltd, will not match up $ for $ to a Ltd even when adding the extras. You can never make an SR5 a Ltd.

It comes down to budget and convenience. I'd rather start fully loaded and go from there. The difference in price between the two was not a signifcant consideration for ME. To each his own, and for those SR5 owners, I'll give you the same wave as I do to my fellow Ltd. owners as beneath the frills, they are the same vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SR5 vs Limited

I could have afforded either but went with the SR5 for a few reasons:

- I live in San Diego and had heated seats in my prior car which were never used. I know the same would hold true with the Sequoia.
- The retractable side mirrors are a geegaw IMO and I know I would never use them.
- I personally can't stand the look of the spoiler on the Sequoia and I did not want to wait for a special order for a Limited without one.
- The Limited (as well as the SR5) rims don't do it for me. Either way, my plan is to get rid of the OEM rims and pick up some aftermarket ones (ie. Weld).
- I believe the aftermarket leather from Classic Soft Trim is better quality than what Toyota uses. In addition, it is much less expensive ($1,300) and carries the same warranty as Toyota.
- As for resale, you will indeed get more from the Limited (no brainer). To think you will make up anywhere near the initial price difference between the SR5 and Limited at resale is a mistake. They will both depreciate accordingly.

To each their own but the SR5 was the proper choice for me. Weigh out the differences for your own personal needs to best determine what makes sense. Either way you are getting a fabulous vehicle! Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
31 Posts
rim and color

i think toyota really have to make their limited more special, i also went with SR5 instead of the limited. i agreed the rim design of limited is bad, and i think the sr5 rim a better cos it curve in instead of just a flat disc with holes on, (although the material looks nicer on limited rim) i don't know anyone here agree, but i think for such a huge vechicle, you need to break up the body a bit visually, limited black to me is like they build the car first and then spread on black paint over all afterward, even to the windows....

·
Registered
4 Posts
dgraves1 said:
Now I'm confused.
John A - The spoiler is an option on the Limited and fog lights are an option on the SR5 (at least for 2002 MY, maybe it was different on the 2001s), so I don't really follow your reasoning.
Dankwiz - True because you paid more to start with. If you had gotten a Landcruiser, you'd get even more at resale time.
dgraves1 - From what I was told by the dealership, for the 2001s, fog light was not an option and at the two dealership that I went to, they had no Limiteds without the spoiler. From what I remember they said that all Limiteds came with spoilers. Any way, I wanted something quickly and special ordering was not an option I wanted to entertain. Even with the current options, I think I would go for the SR5 and get the fog lights. Also I like the SR5 alloy wheels to the Limited ones. I think toyota could have done a much better job with the wheels on the Limited. No spoilers and different set of wheels and I might look into the Limited.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nutshell...

In a nutshell, here are the reasons to buy a 2003 Limited or a 2003 SR5.

First, Limited.

If you want leather, heated seats, leather-look doorsides. If you want a rear spoiler that's factory. If you want monotone paint w/o going for a silver sky car. If you want Limited-style wheels. If you want the power-in mirrors for tight parking or garage parking.

In the SR5's:

If you do not care for leather, seat heaters, or power in-mirrors, spoiler in rear, Limited-type wheels or color-match running boards with alloys. Or, if you prefer two-tone paint for contrast. Or, if you want a blue marlin, salsa red, desert sand color car because those three colors are not available in Limiteds. If you do not care about dual climate control, fog lamps, alarm system.

Yes, you can have factory leather for 2003 (PM package) but it isn't going to cover the doorsides, or have seat heaters. And, you can now separately have the 6-disc CD changer in dash in SR5 as an option (EJ package) and you can also have an alloy wheel package with tow hitch, alloys, color match running boards, and privacy glass (AH). You can also have the side impact and curtain airbags in both cars BUT if an SR5 has these (GY) then a dealer shouldn't add leather after-market. It's a problem with the factory airbag warranty afterwards, insurance bond or not. The fog lamps and upgrade alarm to the keyless remote and the dual air cond are also easily added to build an SR5.

Just a few thoughts.

Remember: the "PM" package for an SR5 will usually require a build-order, often as much as a 4-6-8 week wait at times. If you haven't got the time to wait for an SR5 to be built right, then you may have to compromise to a lightly equipped Limited.

Dianne

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
whoa Dianne! that was a pretty big nutshell! ;) :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Dianne

Dianne,

is it okay to add just the aftermarket leather (leather like) to the side door panels in the SR5 that has side and side curtain airbags? why the AM leather has conflicts with side curtain airbags? i thought the airbag is attended from the top of the windows? by the way, do you guys sell silver more than any other colors for sequoia for that SR5/limited two tone reason? i saw 2 silvers in almost every 3 sequoias.

thanks in advance,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts