Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this option? if so, what do you think about the sound, compared to the JBL

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not that impressed with the sound, I have the 6 CD changer with the 6 speakers. I didn't compare the sound with the JBL because it was hard enough getting the options that I wanted. I would like to change out the factory speakers but I don't have much experience doing that sort of thing, plus it doesn't look easy because it looks like you would have to take apart the whole dash? Maybe someone who changed the factory speakers could give us an idea how hard it to change the speakers????

·
Registered
237 Posts
anyone have this option? if so, what do you think about the sound, compared to the JBL
I have an SR5 with the standard 6 Disc changer. IMO, it sounds OK. Now I've never had an opportunity to compare the standard with the JBL. The question is.....is the JBL worth the extra money? I had the JBL in my '04 DC with the controls on the Steering Wheel, and the sound was not as good as my current system:confused: The one thing I miss is the controls on the SW:cry:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not that impressed with the sound, I have the 6 CD changer with the 6 speakers. I didn't compare the sound with the JBL because it was hard enough getting the options that I wanted. I would like to change out the factory speakers but I don't have much experience doing that sort of thing, plus it doesn't look easy because it looks like you would have to take apart the whole dash? Maybe someone who changed the factory speakers could give us an idea how hard it to change the speakers????
Dont worry, youre not missing much with the JBL. The JBL sounds good compared to the standard 6 disc, but its nothing to jump up and down about. My JBL came with my Limited, but as soon as aftermarket fit kits are available, its done. A nice aftermarket system sounds alot better, so I would just wait it out and upgrade to something alot nicer for probaly the same price as the JBL.

I'm not too sure on the standard 6 disc set up, but on the JBL, there are woofers in the front doors that are easy to take out, tweeters on the upper front doors that are easy to pop out, and the mid range speakers are in the dash with a flimsy plastic cover over them that just pop right off. I was at the dealer last week for a weird vibtation in the speaker assembly, and they showed me how easily everything comes right out. I'm looking forward to putting in a new system.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm among the "it's okay crowd." I believe my basic sound system in my 01 Silverado was much better sounding. It had a lot more flexability in adjusting the sound. I haven't heard the JBL but doubt I'd buy anything stock. I'd wait for the aftermarket to catch up as it will be cheaper and better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jumbo, thanks for the information on the speakers. I'm always afraid to start taking things apart because I usually end up breaking some plastic clip or something.:tu:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not a big audio aficionado so normally I wouldn't even pay the $200 to upgrade to just the 6-disc stereo, but I was "forced" to get the upgrade because you are essentially stuck with that upgrade in the SET area. So in spite of my usual indifference on the subject, I must say that the 6-disc $200 upgrade sounds pretty crummy. I'm pretty sure a good set of speakers and an amp would make all the difference in the world, but I'll probably just grin and bear it and get used to it. (I'm not sure if the next upgrade fixes the problem - I know they add an amp, which is probably a good thing, but unless they upgrade to a much better set of speakers I'd be cautious).

·
Registered
58 Posts
My '03 Sequoia has the JBL 10 speaker stereo. IMO, the '07 6 Disc sounds just as good (and has more features, MP3 WMA etc.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the 6 disc system and it sounds good to me. I have no complaints in that dept. I kind of out grew the aftermarket stereo scene. I have enough problems hearing these days. For my last 3 vechiles stock was just fine for me. I can't really tell you if the quality is there, like I said i think it sounds great, better than my frontier stereo did.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I test drove 2 trucks back to back at the same dealer. 1 had JBL and the other the 6 disc. The JBL was far superior. I am having them get my truck with the JBL. I upgraded my speakers on my last vehicle, but it was nowhere near the JBL system. I like the steering wheel buttons too. I do agree with the people who said that the aftermarket stuff will be better and probably cheaper, but the difference in sound quality was enough for me to pay the extra bucks. Plus, I never seem to get around to upgrading the stereo anymore. The speaker upgrade I did on my last truck was not enough, and I just did not feel like wiring a sub and amp set-up. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Jumbo, thanks for the information on the speakers. I'm always afraid to start taking things apart because I usually end up breaking some plastic clip or something.:tu:

Youre welcome Jeff. I have done complete stereo overhauls for alot of friends and family on different types of cars and trucks, but I was very surprised and delighted to see how easily the doors and dash came apart on the Tundra. I would recommend going to an auto parts store and picking up a "panel tool" for taking your doors apart. Its a small tool that looks like a screwdriver that got run over on train tracks, and cost about $8. It has a small notch cut out in the center for poping pins and plastic clips that hold your doors together. Your chances of breaking clips with a panel tool are very slim. And once you do one door you'll see there is nothing to it.

If you use Crutchfield for your speakers and headunit, they will send you a free manual on how to take apart your doors and dash for that specific vehicle. They will also send you for free the little wire jumpers for door speakers if you plan on only changing out your speakers. This way you dont have to cut or splice anything, just plug in the new speaker.

They also sell a small interface from Rockford Fosgate called the 3Sixty. It will allow you to keep your factory head unit and steering wheel controls but still add another amp and sub or sat. radio, bypassing all your factory stuff.

Good luck

·
Registered
416 Posts
I specifically took a second trip to dealers to test the difference between these two systems (I was trying to decide if I wanted to spring for the JBL). I brought a selection of my own music.

There really isn't any comparison. The JBL is far superior. But, it ain't cheap either.

So, JBL v/s aftermarket. You could probably build a comparable aftermarket system for the same price or less than the JBL. Personally, I've had some bad experiences in that area, so preferred the nicer integration and superior ergonomics of the factory system.

I was still waffling on the price (I could spring for an aftermarket system later, spreading the cost a bit). But, I ended up getting a limited anyhow, so I got the JBL. I'm not unhappy with that, and feel I'll have a great system.

You lose the ability to have the factory underseat storage unit, because of the amp (sub?, both?) under the rear seat. I'm hopeful that somebody aftermarket will make something to organize some space in what's left of the storage area with the JBL, but we'll see.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was checking out the 3sixty on crutchfield, thanks for the info. but has anyone used one? is it just plug and play or do you have to splice wires? I'm an electricain but I dont like cutting wires in a brand new $40,000 veichal.if anyone has more info on this I would appriciate hearing about it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
From reading the write up on it, and talking with Crutchfield, it looks as if you just plug in your speaker wires coming from the factory headunit into the 3Sixty and then you have access to 5v preamp outputs and are ready for a new system. I like this interface because it will allow me to keep my steering wheel controls and iPod adapter in the dash. And it also have a 15 band EQ for more precise control over the factory headunit. I may order this week and if I do i'll post some pics of the install and process. I dont imagine the wires are labeled coming out of the headunit, so I'll have to find a diagram.

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you cut wires to install this unit wont that void the factory warrenty?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts