Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy a conversion kit for my 2006 Tundra SR5 Access cab, so that I can get rid of these rear drum brakes and put on a set of SS brakes and calipers. I sure wish I would have had the bucks to buy a 2007, the brakes on this 2006 are worse then my old 1988 Jeep. Please advise.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Adding the discs to the back will not give you much better stopping power, only the clean disc brake look. Go for a big brake kit for the front and that will be all you need.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Adding the discs to the back will not give you much better stopping power, only the clean disc brake look. Go for a big brake kit for the front and that will be all you need.
There is a lot more to rear discs than just the looks. They are fade-free, less likely to lock up (even with ABS, drums are self-energizing) and pad replacement is a piece-o-cake compared to shoe replacement. Discs have much better performance in wet conditions. The drum brakes squeal and need a self-adjusting feature that is not always reliable (disc calipers do not).

I'll take disc brakes over drums any day.

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
459 Posts
Trust me rotors are so much better then drum brakes. My friend has a 1964 Bel Air with drums. It takes a long time to stop. However, the Bel Air is a HEAVY car. If any one is intrested he is selling the Bel Air, in great condition, I belive he wants $10,000 for it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Disc brakes do stop better than drum brakes. Guess what the front/back ratio is for the braking power though. Not 50/50. More like 70/30 or 75/25. The back brakes help, but the majority of your braking power is the front.

I had the Stoptech 332mm big brake kit on my truck. I could stop faster from 50mph than some old lady doing 10mph in her buick. 2 Piston design with slotted rotors and stainless lines is going to work a hell of alot better than replacing your rear drums with discs.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy a conversion kit for my 2006 Tundra SR5 Access cab, so that I can get rid of these rear drum brakes and put on a set of SS brakes and calipers. I sure wish I would have had the bucks to buy a 2007, the brakes on this 2006 are worse then my old 1988 Jeep. Please advise.

Thanks
Like others said, the front brakes do the most, improve them...$1000+/- for the kit, do you think you'll get that much more stopping power? CSM-H

·
Registered
136 Posts
i need to get new drums and dont want to spend the money to convert to discs? has anyone used the after-market wheelers drums???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts