Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am now only roughly a month away from getting my RCD kit installed and have a couple questions for those knowledgable as well as the members who have done this, ie Imdone and stealthsr5 who have AMAZING looking trucks.
here's the skinny..... i've called around to countless shops and have asked them about haveing an RCD kit and eventually installing a 3" body lift on top of that for a total of 9" lift, not suprisingly, they have said it's possible, but they don't want to be liable for installing it. i then called one shop and the owner had said he would install if but he HIGHLY and ADAMANTLY recommends to NOT do it. he said that it was sooooo dangerous,weak, and hazardous and that no one should ever do it, yet will still install it (i know, weird guy).
What is your guys' take on the situation? to the people who have it done, any problems whatsoever? any problems besides the monthly tightentings you would have to do with ONLY and 3" BL? any loss of ride quality? is it still offroadable or is it just mainly a show truck then? what are the cons of doing this? obviously the pros are the fact that it looks awesome. help please....

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
i have had many people said that this could be the worst thing you could do to your truck. but still... i dont see why. i have a body lift and a custom supension lift and i have never had a problem with either, i have only had to tighten one body lift bolt. the ride is the same, and i take mine offroad every so often, and ive had no problems. i would go ahead and do it if i were you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard plenty of bad things about body lifts, but it was mostly from really old or really beat on trucks, that probably didnt get the maintenence (sp) they needed. I say do it and here is someone to talk to with the same setup as your looking for. Team SCT - Jeremy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, anyone else? Mustang?

·
natural mystic
341 Posts
What is your guys' take on the situation? to the people who have it done, any problems whatsoever? any problems besides the monthly tightentings you would have to do with ONLY and 3" BL? any loss of ride quality? is it still offroadable or is it just mainly a show truck then? what are the cons of doing this? obviously the pros are the fact that it looks awesome. help please....
I've had my setup for a while now and no problems, yet (knock on wood). My truck is mostly street driven, however I do take her offroading a couple times a month. (by offroading I don't mean 100 mph desert blastin' or any wicked frame twisting rock crawling, but I take her through places that stock trucks couldn't go). Checkout mustang's truck, I believe his is the same year as yours. You'll run into a little trouble at with the steering extension and will have to fab something up because the 3" body lift extension DOES NOT work with the RCD extension.

I have a 3" body lift on my 87 Toy and will take that truck ANYWHERE, and have never had any problems with the bodylift. I know that suspension lift is the way to go, but my .02 cents is that it is still a CAPABLE truck. GOOD LUCK!!:tu:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
be patient, Mustang is currently down and out.
He might surprise us and get on today but maybe not.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Fact of the matter is, your setup gets you a tall truck, not the same as a capable truck, and generally speaking less capable offroad than a low truck. Your CG is already 6" higher from the RCD, you're bumping it a couple inches up with the B/L.

Capability offroad comes from lockers (or limited slip), flexible suspension, low CG and above all skill of the driver. Big tires are very helpful but not as helpful as all the rest of that stuff.

My opinion is that you'll be fine on everything including moderately difficult trails, just religiously check torque on everything after you go. You're only changing the sprung CG a couple inches--stick to the same lines you're currently comfortable doing with the RCD kit. Personally I'd be more concerned offroad about the 6" heels your truck is wearing :devil:.

-Sean

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all who have replied!!!! i think i'm gonna go ahead and do the 6" + 3", i'll update with pix as i go along!!!! any more opinions are still welcomed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts