Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my friends stacked 2 coil spacers on his 2003 tacoma and i want to know if its possible on a tundra and if anyone has done it before

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Recently my friends stacked 2 coil spacers on his 2003 tacoma and i want to know if its possible on a tundra and if anyone has done it before
Sure it's possible, but it's also a terrible idea for two main reasons.

First, if your truck is 4 wheel drive it will not be good for your CV joints as they will be basically maxed out and pulled beyond what they are capable of.

Second, and more importantly, your ball joints will be maxed out and you will overextend them any time your front suspension droops. This could potentially be extremely dangerous if you have a ball joint fail while driving. There are much safer ways of lifting your truck, and ways to ensure a good ride without sacrificing your front suspension.

If you are interested in more lift, get a body lift. The front end can only really handle 2.5" of lift....maybe 3" if you aren't 4 wheel drive. You change the geometry of the suspension when you lift it (which is why you need an alignment afterward), and it can only handle so much.

I would suggest you look into the Bilstien 5100 front shocks. They do not cost too much, ride great, and lift your truck safely! They will not overextend your ball joints which is the most important thing.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
The shortest answer is yes it's possible, yeah it's probably been done by people who haven't listened to us bloviate like a bunch of senators about how bad it is, and no you shouldn't ever do it, and your buddy should pull the stilts out of his truck's front end before he breaks something :heh:.

The long answer is a page or so...lemme know if you want me to expand on Moose's already perfectly sufficient explanation :D...

-Sean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hes got the spacers and then the body lift and 35 km2s and it rides really smooth actually, would the bilsteins slightly turned up with spacers be a better idea even through its gonna give bad angles to the cvs, i hardly use my 4wd anyway

·
Registered
524 Posts
2 sets of spacers stacked is a BAD idea.

I would do bilsteins or toytec coil overs with a spacer. But in reality stack lifts is not a good idea as it stresses everything too much already previously mentioned.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not recommended to stack two lifts ontop of each other. The 5100's are one lift, the spacer a second. Its going to cause the same ball joint problems, and the same cv angle problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want to see if anyone has done the 5100s with a coil spacer, or either put a rubber spacer on the coil over, i have 2.5 upfront and i really just want another inch

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I really want to see if anyone has done the 5100s with a coil spacer, or either put a rubber spacer on the coil over, i have 2.5 upfront and i really just want another inch
This has been discussed quite a few times. Even though you may want only another inch, there really isn't another inch to be had. At 2.5" of lift, your suspension is close to fully drooped out.

Give this a try. On level ground, jack the front of your truck up. How much do your front wheels actually fall before they come off the ground? Not a lot right? At least not nearly as much as it was stock!

If you try to add another spacer (or 5100's) the suspension will likely be completely maxed out. What's dangerous here, and I do mean dangerous, is the ball joints will be stressed at extreme angles and they could fail. Regardless of your CV's, the suspension just isn't capable of that much lift. A solid axle you can jack up as high as you want (in a sense); look at all of the huge Ford's and Dodges around. But with IFS you simply cannot. I hate math, but it's all geometry!

Sorry man, but get a 1 inch body lift. There really isn't any other option with these trucks. Trust me, we have all though about doing it! Call up Roger Brown at 4Crawler Offroad. He will take care of you. 4Crawler Offroad - Custom Body Lift Kits

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hes got the spacers and then the body lift and 35 km2s and it rides really smooth actually, would the bilsteins slightly turned up with spacers be a better idea even through its gonna give bad angles to the cvs, i hardly use my 4wd anyway
defiantly true HARDLY ever haha

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Read through the links in my signature line, and you'll understand better how the system works, so you'll know how to best change it to do what you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts