Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

Its been a long time since I have been on, couldn't log into my old account (Marauder)

Anyways....my 2006 Access cab SR5 with the 4.7 is having its FIRST issue since I bought it brand new in Jan of 2007. Not bad to go 167,000 miles with no mechanical issues.

Ok....so a couple weeks ago I noticed a slow cranking of the starter. It would slowly start taking a little longer to start. It would still fire and run.
About a week and a half later after I started it the starter would keep spinning after the engine fired up.

So I park it and drive my back up car.

I replaced the starter relay....no difference.

Ok....so I pick up a new starter and ignition switch. After talking to parts guy he thinks with the power draw its probably the starter.
Changed the starter.....what a $^&%....OK who puts it under the intake manifold.....
I changed that out, and still don't fix the problem.
Got gas and truck wont start....battery dead, only 100 cranking amps.

So new battery.

Now I change the ignition switch which I have seen cause starter issues.....

Still the starter spins after the engine fires.

So anyone have ideas on why my starter keeps spinning after it starts?

I guess I should look thru wiring diagrams and the service manual next.
Unless its just a bad ECU?
I am guessing its not registering all the time that the engine fired up?

BTW....its not doing it all the time, about half the time it'll do it and the starter will stop about 30 seconds of running.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one with ideas?

I was looking at wiring diagrams. To me it seems like the ecu is telling the starter to keep going, like it didn’t see the start.

it only happens now when it’s cold. If the engine had warmed up and sits only a short while, like two hours or less, it starts normal and doesn’t keep running the starter the full 40 seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it only happens now when it’s cold. If the engine had warmed up and sits only a short while, like two hours or less, it starts normal and doesn’t keep running the starter the full 40 seconds.
The other info was important but that comment struck me. We have a thread ongoing at Tundras.com with pretty much the same symtoms. Might not lead anywhere but it's worth a shot following.

Altered link so this forum would not hold it up since it considers my first post as spam with a link !

httpz://www.tundras.com/threads/2012-toyota-tundra-starter-problems.34259/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you done a system charging test? Some auto parts store can test the battery, alternator and starter all on the vehicle. Did you test your old starter once it was off? The one you replaced it with, was it new or a reman?

So if I am understanding you correctly, the starter keeps going 30 seconds after the engine is already running?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter is actually energized and turning the flywheel during that malfunction?
Does it keep doing it's spinning trick when you turn the key to the off position?

I presume it's an automatic trans so there's yet another possible culprit, the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Guessing he got it figured out. Only had 2 posts in this one thread. I would start at the starter relay which is the middle point of the system. Unplug it and if it keeps turning it is the starter solenoid. Test the relay and if it is closed across the relay without 12V applied to the coil its a bad relay. If the relay test open without 12V applied to the coil and opens properly when 12V is removed from the coil the problem is further up the ignition system towards the computer or the ignition switch. Just keep following it up the circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts