Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost three years and 95,000 miles of no problems my 2007 5.7 dblcab decided it need some attention. Last week it went into limp mode with a code of 2442. Something to do with the air pumps. after reading what they do and how much I disconnected my battery to reset the codes and unplugged the air pumps. Truck had a check engine light but no limp mode. Yesterday after driving home from work for about 2 hours I stopped at the grocery store. When I came back out the truck would not start, just click. No warning just click. checked all fuses tried spare key double checked the start relay, just click. So I looked online to where the starter was after not finding it on the underside of the truck. All the post online say that it is under the intake manifold. Slightly concerned about the labor involved I went to taking off the manifold. Surprisingly the 5.7 manifold is plastic and comes off in one piece and only took 15 minutes. I thought this isn't so bad but then I realized that the starter was still missing. I went back to all the posts online and realized that nobody that I could find had posted about replacing 2007 or newer 5.7 engine starter. I had assumed that all the previous models and the 4.7 engine had the starter under the intake manifold that Toyota would keep with the similar design. Wrong, I climbed back under the truck and finally found it. It is between the passenger exhaust manifold and the block with a heat shield around it.

I am not going to post how it should be removed because I don't know. What I do know is that the heat shield is destroyed, you have to remove the exhaust from the header to the muffler and you have to remove your oil dipstick. oh and the power wire has to be removed from the solenoid before the starter is removed from its location. Literally you can't move the starter 1" until the power wire is disconnected.

The starter is still good. but the solenoid is not. Trying to find starter shop to repair.
I hope this will help someone looking for their starter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for sharing... please keep us updated on the repair cost and if you can snap a couple of pics when putting it all back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never did check to see what the dealer cost was on the whole starter assembly. The solenoid can be purchased separately,$120.00, but is a non stocked item because as the parts guy said "We just replace the whole starter". You can not buy the starter or the solenoid at any parts store, Toyota has not released the patent yet. I found a complete used assembly for $80.00 through LQK online. I will have the solenoid repaired or replaced sooner or later so I will have a backup.

IMO the contacts in the solenoid are way to small. I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to happen to a lot of trucks. The solenoid would still engage but the voltage to the starter wouldn't make because the contacts were simply gone. Not burnt not welded or melted just eaten away. There wasn't any warning signs either, one second it started the next noway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts