Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp my year old Sequoia is showing some signs of age....

Im no mechanic and Im actually afraid to take it to the dealer. But my engine seems to hesitate at various times expecially when turning out of a drive way.

Also starting it. Id say 2% of the time it hesitates to start this isnt at any particular time of the day ( day or night hot or cold).

Today I had a hard time starting it and when it did turn over it died. I restarted it and then the car lurched forward ( like it had a burst of power).

Any suggestions ...?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
mommyotter,

the hesitation out of the driveway has to do w/ your VSC. it counts the drive out of the driveway as a momentary loss of traction. not sure if you've noticed, but your VSC light on your dash should've lit up whenever this happens. this has been discussed before and it can be dangerous, especially if on coming traffic is headed right at you. someone on this board said that the 2001 VSC computers can be upgraded to the 2002 computer, but i'm not sure.

in regards to your engine starting, i don't know what that is all about. i know that it takes a while (a couple of seconds) for the sequoia to start because of systems checks, but not sure about it dying on you. if your seq is still under warranty i'd just take it into the dealership.

Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
mommyotter,

the hard starting could be attributed to the sparkplugs, i had a similar problem with my oem sparkplugs. i installed the iridium denso plugs and that seems to have solved the problem. but like what chris mentioned this seq's take a few more seconds to start than most vehicles , i hope your not referring to this?

john

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunatly or fortunatly ( how ever you want to look at it) I am familuar with the extra few seconds that are in a normal start for the sequoia. What I am experiencing is similar to when you have a dead battery type start.

Regarding the power loss when turning... I have NOT noticed the VSC light being lit.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
mommyotter, someone else had mentioned problems similar to yours and it turned out to be the fuel pump. (Engine dies with no warning) Also, my wifes car started to do the same, sometimes when she started it, it died. The electrical part of the ignition was going bad. That's what the dealership said anyway. Don't know about it lurching forward. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts